STP S9972 and Purolator Boss PBL25608 2011 Rav4

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm going to use the purolater boss filter for the full 15k the stp will be used for 10k

Last edited:
The Purolator Boss is OK; not as good as a Fram Ultra, but close. The STP uses a cellulose media blended with resin (if Autozone's statement and also previous analysis on BITOG is right, likely is...) with good filtering performance, a decent choice, about the same as Fram ToughGaurd or Mobil1 Ext Perf oil filters.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The Purolator Boss is OK; not as good as a Fram Ultra, but close.

Should "....not as good as the Fram Ultra" be the BITOG forum motto?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Peter_480

Should "....not as good as the Fram Ultra" be the BITOG forum motto?
smile.gif

Only for the Frambots.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it close ... per Purolator Tech Dept.

BOSS: 99% @ 40 microns
ONE: 99% @ 20 microns
Purolator: 96.5% @ 20 microns

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Looks like you have better numbers on the Boss than I did. I was relying on a search I did on bitog and came across 901Memphis saying it tested to 99% @ 32 microns. I will accept the Puro Tech Dept. as the truth. That is a pretty bad performance level.
I've criticized the Boss for having too thin of a media; maybe thats to blame. Ultra is 2-ply & thicker too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Looks like you have better numbers on the Boss than I did. I was relying on a search I did on bitog and came across 901Memphis saying it tested to 99% @ 32 microns. I will accept the Puro Tech Dept. as the truth. That is a pretty bad performance level.
I've criticized the Boss for having too thin of a media; maybe thats to blame. Ultra is 2-ply & thicker too.

Is that the first pass rating?
What are the numbers on the Ultra?
To boot, the Boss is about 2x the price of the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What are the numbers on the Ultra?
To boot, the Boss is about 2x the price of the Ultra.

Purolator hopes you won't notice or even know about filter efficiency for their Boss compared to Ultra.
We know too much.
Ultra is at 99.5% @ 20 microns.

Ultra's thicker media provides some depth-filtering ability which means it gets out even smaller particles better (80% @ 5 microns, MotorKing from Fram says).

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Is that the first pass rating?

No. Multi-pass:

ISO 4548-12:2017 specifies a multi-pass filtration test with continuous contaminant injection and using the online particle counting method for evaluating the performance of full-flow lubricating oil filters for internal combustion engines. The scope of this document is limited to steady state conditions and does not address fluctuations in the flow rate.

The test procedure determines the contaminant capacity of a filter, its particulate removal characteristics and differential pressure.

This test is intended for application to filter elements with an efficiency of less than 99 % at particle size greater than 10 μm.

NOTE Several test flow loops built into one test rig, or several test rigs, would be necessary to cover the complete flow range of 2 l/min to 600 l/min.

Good looking filters.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either on your RAV4.

The last FRAM Ultra I installed on my Camry had some suspiciously wide pleat spacing.

Clearly a QC issue.

We'll see how it looks at the end of the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back