STUPID security certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.
IE ask me "this security certificate cannot be verified, do you wish to continue"

I press no.

Screen pops right back up!

again
again'
so now...

I press "N" on the keyboard really fast and close the tab....

This is stupid, I PRESSED NO, AND IT KEEPS ASKING LIKE A RETARD. If I press no, then stop prompting me. Makes me angry.

Last edited:
+1 on Chrome.

I hate those survey boxes that pop up!
mad.gif

Also be careful of pop ups. Not calling you stupid but a lot of malicious sites like to trick the user into thinking the popup is not from the sites servers (browser based).

The safe thing to do with these kind of popups is just ALT-F4 and close it. Just because the button says no doesn't mean it's no. Just by clicking either button can tell you browser you accepted a possible download thanks to a slight JavaScript edit.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

The safe thing to do with these kind of popups is just ALT-F4 and close it. Just because the button says no doesn't mean it's no. Just by clicking either button can tell you browser you accepted a possible download thanks to a slight JavaScript edit.

Agreed - if you can't close it easily, it's likely malware

What you got was a "personal" digital certificate that was signed by an intermediate or root certificate that you do not have in your certificate stor. A personal certificate is the type issued by a CA (certificate authority) to a company. It just happens to be called a personal certificate.

I have seen cases where this type of msg occurs 3 or 4 times in a row but not continuous.

Understanding the flow of digital certificates during the setup of server level authentication is beyond the scope of this forum.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Understanding the flow of digital certificates during the setup of server level authentication is beyond the scope of this forum.

Yes, but to expand a little Microsoft has a trusted root certificate program that is actually pretty good. Root authorities like Thawte, Verisign, Symantec, Godaddy sell "leaf" certificates to web sites. Microsoft trusts godaddy -> godaddy trusts my website, so IE connects to it for users everywhere without these warnings.

When a site uses a cert that's not issued by one of these vendors and asks you to install a certificate that should be a huge red flag. Instinct should not be to just continue on. Maybe there were girls in the area looking to chat, I dunno, but it's not worth the risk.

Sure certs are stupid, but they are a necessary evil.

And to the OP's question, it's because the site designer has a page redirecting to another page. The second page has the shady certificate, when you click No you don't want to continue it goes back to the first page... which again redirects you to the second page. Kill IE entirely and rethink your internet browsing habits.

EDIT: I prefer Chrome. These issues exist with all browsers, but I'd agree there is some security benefit to "not IE" browsers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: Donald

Yes, but to expand a little Microsoft has a trusted root certificate program that is actually pretty good. Root authorities like Thawte, Verisign, Symantec, Godaddy sell "leaf" certificates to web sites. Microsoft trusts godaddy -> godaddy trusts my website, so IE connects to it for users everywhere without these warnings.

When a site uses a cert that's not issued by one of these vendors and asks you to install a certificate that should be a huge red flag. Instinct should not be to just continue on. Maybe there were girls in the area looking to chat, I dunno, but it's not worth the risk.

Sure certs are stupid, but they are a necessary evil.

And to the OP's question, it's because the site designer has a page redirecting to another page. The second page has the shady certificate, when you click No you don't want to continue it goes back to the first page... which again redirects you to the second page. Kill IE entirely and rethink your internet browsing habits.

EDIT: I prefer Chrome. These issues exist with all browsers, but I'd agree there is some security benefit to "not IE" browsers.

I have to agree, gotten more used to Chrome than Firefox. Haven't used IE in many years.

What version of IE.. some are a driveby virus or malacious banner ad attack away from taking over your computer even if you dont click anything.

Symantec has problems rubber stamping certificates. More then a few times they have issued some just for users to find out the site was malicious and for a handful of their certificates end up getting revoked.

It's getting so bad Google is considering to blacklist their certificates.

Why Chrome? To help google build even a bigger data base on you?

Opera with VPN enabled is the solution.

The world is turning google and MS into mankinds nanny. If I had to choose between the two,k I would choose Microsoft over google.
But I use all of them, Opera is the one of choice.

Last edited:
You kinda laughed it off when I tried to give everyone advanced notification of browsers and certificate changes.

Site owners are moving to higher level encryption algorithms and some CA are not renewing certificates with the older (insecure) algorithms.

Read your words here

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

You kinda laughed it off when I tried to give everyone advanced notification of browsers and certificate changes.

Site owners are moving to higher level encryption algorithms and some CA are not renewing certificates with the older (insecure) algorithms.

Read your words here

Which begs the question as to whether this is still his XP box and if he's running IE8? LOL!

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Why Chrome? To help google build even a bigger data base on you?

Opera with VPN enabled is the solution.

The world is turning google and MS into mankinds nanny. If I had to choose between the two,k I would choose Microsoft over google.
But I use all of them, Opera is the one of choice.

You get a lot of neat functionality if you let Google read all your stuff. I am satisfied with the Privacy Policy: https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/
So I choose to let Google do it's thing and I am constantly provided with useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back