Gasoline on a Dry air filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody spilled any gas on an AEM Dry filter? I spilled some, not much, about an inch in diameter. The filter media turned a yellowish color. Looks ok, no dissolved media harmed. We still use it.

Shiri

I must have left out DRY filter. They didn't know.....

>

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: acme
Has anybody spilled any gas on an AEM Dry filter? I spilled some, not much, about an inch in diameter. The filter media turned a yellowish color. Looks ok, no dissolved media harmed. We still use it.

Shiri

So what was the question?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
No hole, no foul, I'd have thought.

What problem were you anticipating?

Microscopic degradation of the filter media.

The question is: Has anybody spilled any gas on an AEM Dry filter?

If somebody has, just tell me if it damaged the filter media or not?

It's a dyed DRY filter (see first post).

AEM doesn't know if it will hurt it. They haven't tested gas on a DYED filter, just thought I'd ask..

Sorry for asking.
smile.gif

>

Last edited:
Yes, just why I asked.

Thanks for being smart, that's why I ask questions..

>

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Yes, just why I asked.

Thanks for being smart, that's why I ask questions...

>

IF it had microscopic degradation of the filter media, you wouldn't be able to see it without...a microscope.

The chances of anyone on here (a) spilling petrol on one of these filters and (b) checking it out with a microscope seem vanishingly small.

For microscopic degradation of the filter media to be relevant, it has to make holes in the media that are too small to see, but bigger than the holes that are already there.

This seems to require a petrol-soluable "foam" filter media supported by a very fine petrol-insoluable matrix. This seems an unlikely construction for the filter.

A quick look at the website gives no meaningful information on how the thing is constructed, and is even ambiguous as to whether the media is synthetic or cotton.

I suppose if it was cotton bound with a synthetic coating (a reasonable best guess) then the media would be insoluable and the binding might be soluable, so undetectable microscopic damage would be a possibility.

There doesn't seem to be any way to estimate how probable this is though.

Last edited:

IF it had microscopic degradation of the filter media, you wouldn't be able to see it without...a microscope.

The chances of anyone on here (a) spilling petrol on one of these filters and (b) checking it out with a microscope seem vanishingly small.

For microscopic degradation of the filter media to be relevant, it has to make holes in the media that are too small to see, but bigger than the holes that are already there.

This seems to require a petrol-soluable "foam" filter media supported by a very fine petrol-insoluable matrix. This seems an unlikely construction for the filter.

A quick look at the website gives no meaningful information on how the thing is constructed, and is even ambiguous as to whether the media is synthetic or cotton.

I suppose if it was cotton bound with a synthetic coating (a reasonable best guess) then the media would be insoluable and the binding might be soluable, so undetectable microscopic damage would be a possibility.

There doesn't seem to be any way to estimate how probable this is though.

The gas spill came from a hose connected to the fuel rail. Some gas dripped from a hose while taking it off (filter is under the front fender behind the headlight). We race the car and drain the tank before putting in race gas. It's easy to spill small amounts
smile.gif

>

Shiri

If you haven't already, I'd wash the filter, dry it and hold it up to a light - if the area where you spilled the gas looks the same as the rest of the filter, then you're good to go.

HTH

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Shiri

If you haven't already, I'd wash the filter, dry it and hold it up to a light - if the area where you spilled the gas looks the same as the rest of the filter, then you're good to go.

HTH
The AEM filter is dyed red like most Dry filters are now, the spot is yellow where the gas dripped. No hole, but looks different, like brittle blonde hair
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
I would replace it so I don't have to worry about it.

I did.......
smile.gif

>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back