Motion Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post in the electronics section but was not sure. I have two sets of spot lights outside. We would like to convert to motion. The two items needed are a motion sensing socket and a dawn to dusk light control.

The one I looked at over at Home Depot has horrible reviews.
Does anyone have any experience with this item?

Thanks in advance

I've used one of those, not sure if it's the same one at Home Depot, but it worked for a little while, then just stopped after a couple months. Not sure why.

I ended up replacing the entire fixture with an LED model. Obviously, that cost way more, but it had additional features I liked. One feature I really liked was that it has a low brightness level that was always on at night, then as it senses motion, it goes to full brightness. It used much less power as well, at least compared to incandescent.

Sorry, probably didn't help too much!

If I had access to the unit it would be easy to switch. It is about 18 feet above ground.
My guess is that most of the pieced together units are not as effective.

I have 3 Heath from Home Depot.

They are cheap. The motion detector is also a dusk/dawn sensor so you don't need the socket, too. The deer in my backyard set it off often. Sometimes it goes off by itself and sometimes it gets "stuck" on until the next morning when the sun comes up and the light sensor turns the lights off.

Looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-HZ-5411-WH-Motion-Security/dp/B00002N7FP/ref=sr_1_1?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1499359599&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AHeath%2FZenith

As a professional electrician, I can only recommend products that I know will last, and for me, that's RAB. They make a quality motion sensor with a great warranty. Look on ebay or amazon for the Stealth model. It's expensive but well worth the price of admission.

That being said, I've had great success with the Heath Zenith ones. In fact, I have one I put up on my garage that's still working fine after 18 years. But they are not a pro-grade product and I won't install them as a professional unless customer supplied, or someone is on a real budget.

With LED bulbs maybe just use a timer.

I have several outdoor lights controlled by a Samsung Smart Things hub. It turns them on sunset to 11:00 pm. It knows when sunset is each day.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I have no advise for Motion Detectors,

but these are GREAT.
https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ST01-Programmable-Appliances-Astronomic/dp/B005H3AXKM

I have one along the walkway to my front entrance door.
It comes ON at sunset (automatically adjusts each day) and
goes OUT at 11:00 PM

It seems the LED bulbs used today DO NOT attract insects like the Incadesents did years ago.
This is the same oune I bough for my fron house lights over 2 years ago and still working. You put in your location and it can roughly adjust for sunrise/sunset add LED bulbs and save some real dough.

Costco sells LED floodlights with integrated motion and light sensing for ~$40. Makes massive light and works well.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Costco sells LED floodlights with integrated motion and light sensing for ~$40. Makes massive light and works well.
I have one of these though mine is solar powered. It works great though. Lights up my whole driveway and most of my yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back