5.9 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncles truck, 2005 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 common rail Cummins. He has 361k miles on it, very well taken care and still used daily. He usually does long highway miles, I've been changing the oil with Delvac 15W40 and a Baldwin filter every 7k miles. He does tow my cousins 31 Contender often, not sure how much it weighs but I'm sure its heavy. Usually gets towed 30 miles to the Gulf and 30 miles back home. He has to take it to Pompano Beach Florida on Friday, 903 miles one way. He has 4k miles on the oil right now and he asked me if he should change it now being he'll be towing all that weight for a long distance or to wait till 7k. I told him I'd ask on here. Also should we shorten the regular oci to 5-6k instead of 7k? Hes not interested in doing UOA's. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
If the truck runs well it is absolute fine,its a diesel . enough said! No emissions or egr so fuel dilution and soot aren't an issue.
Edit(soot is not as big of an issue)

I don't know what filters you use but look into Donaldson blue filters for that truck. With a half decent oil and any filter 10k would be my staring point for oci b4 uoa

Last edited:
My '06 Cummins is rated for 10K (non-severe) OCIs, I'm sure he'll be fine. Hope it's a 6 speed, those are better for hot weather heavy towing than the 48RE automatic (which unfortunately my '06 has).

IIRC my owners manual said 15K regular 7.5K severe OCI. 05 Cummins.

I change at 10k. Sometimes I pull heavy trailers, sometimes I don't. Its also my DD so it sees probably 30% city and 70% highway.

Run it.

I think I would concur with at least 10K intervals in normal service. Over the years, I have taken most of my small diesels that far on oil changes.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I think I would concur with at least 10K intervals in normal service. Over the years, I have taken most of my small diesels that far on oil changes.

Me too.
Unimog with OM906LA up to 26K miles but that with 31qt oil pan.

Charlie

No problem with making the Florida trip before doing an oil change. 31' travel trailer probably weighs 8k pounds, maybe 10k fully loaded. That's nothing for the Cummins. That truck should be rated for at least 16k pounds max tow. You've been changing the oil much more often than necessary. 15k oil change intervals pretty easily. Fleetguard filter is great, don't worry about that. I've been running 30k-plus OCI's on my diesel Ram for many years. Just got a UOA on mine, will be posting soon. I've been delivering travel trailers with it, so 50% of its runtime is towing. I expect the engine to go at least 600k miles. The transmission is another issue...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
31 foot Contender offshore boat, not a camper. Amazingly the tranny has held up great for 361k miles

Now that's a shocker right there lol.

>>I've been running 30k-plus OCI's on my diesel Ram for many years.
What oil are you running and what filtration?

Do you change filter during your 30k OCI?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back