Poly motor mount.... good or bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've managed to crack my stock liquid filled motor mount by repeatedly launching at 2.5k rpms and all around driving like an idiot.

I couldn't help it, I raced one person in my Buick and shortly thereafter I had random people pulling up next to me on the interstate/highways wanting to race. Balls to the wall or none at all.
laugh.gif

Anywho, A few months back I found a puddle of fluid under the car whilst dropping some metal off at the local scrapyard. Figured it was my power steering pump/hose. Going back about a month I noticed a clunk when shifting from P to R, and after hearing the clunk giving it gas results in a feeling of "shudder". Combine that with the fact that the car can't decide when it wants to shift under partial/half throttle and I have all the classic symptoms of a bad motor mount.

This is double the cost, but also geared towards performance and durability, I'm just wondering if the excess vibration would be worth it.

https://zzperformance.com/3800/poly-engine-mount.html

Cool. If you're "driving like an idiot" as you say, it won't be long before you break something else.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
I've managed to crack my stock liquid filled motor mount by repeatedly launching at 2.5k rpms and all around driving like an idiot.

I couldn't help it, I raced one person in my Buick and shortly thereafter I had random people pulling up next to me on the interstate/highways wanting to race. Balls to the wall or none at all.
laugh.gif

Anywho, A few months back I found a puddle of fluid under the car whilst dropping some metal off at the local scrapyard. Figured it was my power steering pump/hose. Going back about a month I noticed a clunk when shifting from P to R, and after hearing the clunk giving it gas results in a feeling of "shudder". Combine that with the fact that the car can't decide when it wants to shift under partial/half throttle and I have all the classic symptoms of a bad motor mount.

This is double the cost, but also geared towards performance and durability, I'm just wondering if the excess vibration would be worth it.

https://zzperformance.com/3800/poly-engine-mount.html

I use some sort of restrainer for engine movement. On my FWD V8 Taurus it was a chain from the front exhaust manifold to the subframe. On my RWD Gen Coupe it is a piece of cable attached to the head and anchored at the drivers side strut tower.

Never had to change a motor mount.

Yes, poly mounts (engine and trans) are a worthwhile upgrade in a W-body if you're making more power than stock or find yourself chewing up OE mounts.

I used to have a Regal GS that I sold before redoing the lower motor and trans mounts. I think i have a set of solid rubber ones for a GTP in my garage. I got those because they don't leak like the liquid filled mounts and don't make the engine vibrations as bad as poly. If you want them, shoot me a PM and I'll look for them. I'd also recommend flipping your upper motor mounts. free mod that reduces a lot of the movement.

I have a "soft" poly torque mount in the Focus. In my car there are two upper mounts on each side of the motor/trans and lower torque mount that keeps the engine from twisting. By just restricting the twist motion its pretty much stopped wheelhop, and under light throttle there is nearly zero extra NVH. If you DD your car you might want to try the torque mount first.

Originally Posted By: MarcS
I used to have a Regal GS that I sold before redoing the lower motor and trans mounts. I think i have a set of solid rubber ones for a GTP in my garage. I got those because they don't leak like the liquid filled mounts and don't make the engine vibrations as bad as poly. If you want them, shoot me a PM and I'll look for them. I'd also recommend flipping your upper motor mounts. free mod that reduces a lot of the movement.

I've already flipped the rubber bushings on the dogbone mounts, first thing I did before actually spending money on performance parts. If I decide to the solid route I'll shoot you a PM, I'm just liking the idea of little to no engine movement the poly's offer.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Is using a simple piece of chain between block and frame/subframe too ghetto now?
I had to use shiny imported 316 SS chain to keep the naysayers quiet.......

I have both the engine and trans mount in ply in a GTP 3800, it also liked to tear engine mounts apart. They work well but they do vibrate noticeably but so does my engine with no balance shaft (double roller chain installed) so how much is just from the mounts I don't know.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Is using a simple piece of chain between block and frame/subframe too ghetto now?

It isn't a matter of ghetto to me, it's a matter of doing it right. I don't feel comfortable with a chain putting all that extra strain on my exhaust studs and I rather like the finish of my tubular exhaust manifolds.

Have poly motor mounts on my rx7. I notice aome minor vibrations at lower rpms but they go away as you go through the rpm range. Also i can do burnouts now without my car hopping around. Been pretty sweet id say

Back in the day I used steel solid mounts on my 454 Chevy vette and no chains needed. Yes it transmitted its beastly musical vibrations to the frame but that was part of the fun. I would not hesitaTE ON THE pOLYS

Balls to the wall or none at all.
laugh.gif

I like this. Never heard this before.

I'm going to use this if you don't mind

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Balls to the wall or none at all.
laugh.gif

I like this. Never heard this before.

I'm going to use this if you don't mind

If you're not being facetious (maybe it isn't common in Canada), it's an aviator term for having all the ball-topped controls all the way forward for maximum speed. For years, I thought it referred to male anatomy.
33.gif
Doesn't make much sense in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back