2017 Camry Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an appliance for transport, not much soul or character IMO.
The brakes are the absolute worst of any late model I've driven. You apply the binders and you feel them engage, but the car doesn't slow down at all unless you stand on them, not linier at all. The auto trans is not bad on level ground, but mountain driving is where it looses its way. It spends all its time shifting up and down, down two or three them up one or two only to start over again. There is no grade retard coming down so one must try to figure out how to modulate the brakes which seem to be ON or OFF.
Gas mileage was acceptable though the readout lies about consumption, it said I was getting 34.2 but actual MPG was 29.3.
Not a bad car, just not suited for my style of driving. I won't go on about build quality because it doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Questions answered if asked.

Smoky

I tend to recommend the Camry to those who need a reliable 4 person car. Over a car like the Fusion, Malibu, Impala, But your review is accurate. It is a soulless beast. Mazda seems to do a far better job of making cars fun to drive.

Today, many cars, such as the base model Camry, have muted throttle response, and lazy shifting transmissions, coupled with soft suspension and non responsive steering. They are uninspiring, but reliable.

I prefer to drive a car with excellent driving dynamics. I am absolutely not a fan of 4 cylinder, normally aspirated, full sized cars. The higher end V6 version of the Camry is far more pleasing.

I drive a turbocharged Honda S2000 and a manual transmission Jaguar X-Type. Both are responsive and fun to drive. The Jag in particular has a very responsive engine.

Last edited:
For those who only own one vehicle, other models in the "Midsize Family Sedan" category would be better suited such as the Mazda6, Accord, Fusion, Sonata/Optima.

But for the folks who value the most(statistically) reliable family sedan, the Camry is hard to beat. Sure, there are other reliable family sedans out there and none seem to be real DUDs in regards to reliability, the Camry is the one you'll see 15-20 years from now still on the road with happy owners.

However, owning a Camry will require one to purchase that sporty/sports/hi-perf car for those rare times you can actually use it.

The 2013-present Altima(see my sig) is the better Camry. Soft, smooth & quiet with just that little bit more. Otherwise, buy something else!

Last edited:
Camry have been terrible for at least the past 20 years. Like being Married to a faithful but uninspiring spouse.
I got a guy at work here who puts a couple thousand bucks a year into his 2003 keeping it going. He says its a reliable car. Why? If it was a Chrysler, they'd be complaining about it being junk.
I used to have a 3 door Yaris stick - the GOOD yaris
smile.gif
and Had Camry loaners when I had high level service performed. When I got to work in the Camry I always ran out of the car screaming. Toyota doesnt get to the essential "car-ness":

I rather drive a 90s Buick Century. MUCH better as a "car".

Different strokes for different folks. Nothing is made the way it used to be in "most" cases is my opinion. My 2006 Camry XLE with the 3.0L was one of the best/most reliable cars I have ever owned. When wrapped into a tree avoiding deer on a back country road here in Pennsylvania four years ago. Bought new & willed to me from my Aunt -- car NEVER needed anything except new front struts/shocks, battery, typical brakes, plugs & tires. Car ran super smooth & stable from day one. Note -- car was totaled at 147 thousand and some odd miles. No doubt in my mind -- I would still be happy & content driving that car TODAY!!! So for the poster (ARCOgraphite) -- they have been making junk the last 20 years -- GET REAL!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I got a guy at work here who puts a couple thousand bucks a year into his 2003 keeping it going. He says its a reliable car. Why? If it was a Chrysler, they'd be complaining about it being junk.

Yup, that's the reliability right there and why it is so legendary. Like most legends, it has little to do with reality, and more to do people's perceptions. And I noticed that people with tendencies to form strong personal attachments to inanimate objects or corporations that make them, tend to be much more forgiving when it comes to their beloved brands.

Camry have been terrible for at least the past 20 years. Like being Married to a faithful but uninspiring spouse.
I used to have a 3 door Yaris stick - the GOOD yaris
smile.gif
and Had Camry loaners when I had high level service performed. When I got to work in the Camry I always ran out of the car screaming. Toyota doesnt get to the essential "car-ness":

I rather drive a 90s Buick Century. MUCH better as a "car".

Any car from 2004 is going to require work. You can't fault Toyota for that. I don't blame Toyota, people buy these cars. If people buy em, I'd sell em too.

Originally Posted By: E150GT

Any car from 2004 is going to require work. You can't fault Toyota for that. I don't blame Toyota, people buy these cars. If people buy em, I'd sell em too.

Kinda agree, my 2004 has never been to a mechanic but could probably use struts and has obviously had brakes and one battery. Probably most cars would have had significantly more work than that.

This thread is funny, though. Camry isn't a good handling car? Has it ever been? Why rent something that's only redeeming quality is it's long term reliability? And to those who don't think there is any difference in the reliability of a Camry vs say a Dodge Charger objective study will disagree with you. Of course, there are pro's and con's to both, but be realistic about it.

The difference is in what goes wrong. The camry will need things like struts, brakes, water pump, alternator. All things I can do easily and cheaply in my garage. A Chrysler will need timing chains, transmissions, ecm/tcm/fcm replacement and reprogramming. Things that require $$$ special tools.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I prefer to drive a car with excellent driving dynamics. I am absolutely not a fan of 4 cylinder, normally aspirated, full sized cars. The higher end V6 version of the Camry is far more pleasing.

I drive a turbocharged Honda S2000 and a manual transmission Jaguar X-Type. Both are responsive and fun to drive. The Jag in particular has a very responsive engine.

You seem to suggest that excellent driving dynamics and 4-cylinder normally aspirated cars are mutually exclusive. My Mazda6 and the Focus w/ Handling Package before it prove you wrong in my eyes. Cars don't have to be FAST to have good dynamics and be fun to drive. The Mazda's low-7-second 0-60 is plenty fast for everyday driving, all while averaging over 30 mpg in mixed commuting traffic.

Nobody mentioned that all Toyotas except for the bottom Corolla (and that was intel from last year) have a CVT.
Those things are mushy and the industry is still learning how to program them.
Rental cars are often used to test software and hardware.
A rental car may have limiting software as a matter of course.

A reasonably economical grocery getter being criticized for being gutless? C'mon now! You expected it to drive like your Ferrari?
Whatever you're smokin'....I don't want any....makes you have unrealistic demands.

I gotta agree that the Mazda designers are addressing the void for sportier feeling cars.

Blind loyalty to cars, you say? Ohh, like Americans who's Honda transmissions blew up going out and buying more Hondas?

I can only comment on my experience with the Camry. We bought one new in 2011 to replace a Mazda CX-7 that had to have premium to prevent LSPI, otherwise a decent ride. The Camry LE 4cyl we bought is just transportation but is still ok to drive. Its a spare/commuter car now and is still peppy and well matched to the 6 speed transmission. Without even trying I routinely get 29-30mpg. The only thing replaced so far is tires, battery, front brake pads.

This thing drives on whatever gas you put in it without hesitation. Its had 0-20 synthetic for every mile. I replaced the spark plugs at around 90k something and honestly I couldn't see any wear on the ones I took out. If you need reliable transportation it will deliver. I agree it is not a sports car and won't turn any heads but it does what it does very well.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
Its a spare/commuter car now and is still peppy and well matched to the 6 speed transmission. Without even trying I routinely get 29-30mpg. The only thing replaced so far is tires, battery, front brake pads.

This thing drives on whatever gas you put in it without hesitation. Its had 0-20 synthetic for every mile. I replaced the spark plugs at around 90k something and honestly I couldn't see any wear on the ones I took out. If you need reliable transportation it will deliver. I agree it is not a sports car and won't turn any heads but it does what it does very well.

+1, same here with the 2012 Camry purchased new. Car runs like a top, very smooth and can get going quick when needed. As someone else on here has said, it seems like it has a small V6 in it. And that was from someone who doesn't own any Toyotas.

Still has original battery, new General RT43s, new rear brake pads but only because a rear caliper started to stick. No issues other than that but this car lives in the rust belt. Put a new Napa reman caliper on per Trav's recommendation. The cost was $88 after I returned the core. Put a new hose on as well from Rockauto for $23. A shop did the install and they put on some Wagner OEX pads.

I don't come on here bashing other brands. Buy what you like and keep the negativity inside. Nothing good comes from it.

Just another boring Toyota thread with people parroting what the automotive media says about Toyota. One would think that people here can actually tell the difference between good and bad driving dynamics and are qualified to judge. Keep piling on mindlessly.

Last edited:
Camry is a good car that is affordable and will easily last 25 years.

If you want performance, good looks, glitter and glam buy a BMW or Benz.

"Just another boring Toyota thread with people parroting what the automotive media says about Toyota. One would think that people here can actually tell the difference between good and bad driving dynamics and are qualified to judge. Keep piling on mindlessly."

One mile in my Highlander would really convince you that at least my particular example is reliable to a fault, but is the slowest worst handling car you've probably ever driven.

I don't think anyone is parroting anything, the Camry is a mid pack performer with above average reliability and great resale value. There's really no way to argue otherwise. That's not a bad thing, if that's what you're into.

Last edited:
The 2018 models (four and six cylinder) promise much better driving dynamics. Regardless, the one you rented has it's fans too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back