colder temps...5w-40, 10w-30, 10w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Genuine Buddy 125 scooter (dry cvt...oil does engine only; forced air cooling); specs for 15w-40 (owner's manual & stickers on/in scooter) & lots of folks use 10w-40 (shops selling motorcycle & scooter oils); engine uses actual filter (cannister style...HiFlo Filtro HF183 or HF197 for example)

I might extend riding season into late fall...temps--upper 30's to mid 50's; how thin is feasible (cold flow vs wear protection)?

options I've considered...motorcycle/powersports synblend 10w-40 (various brands), Castrol Edge 10w-40 car oil, hdeo synblend 10w-30 (Rotella or Delo), hdeo synthetic 5w-40 (Rotella or Delo), hdeo synblend 15w-40 (Rotella or Peak), hdeo synthetic 15w-40 (Amsoil OE), powersports synthetic 5w-40 (Quiksilver)

Last edited:
The "wear protection" you should be worried about at 38* F is the rider's !
grin.gif

You might consider heated gloves or vest.

Since that would be only the end of your riding season and maybe a month in total then I doubt you would need to change from your current 15W-40.

If several shops are recommending/selling the 10W-40 for summer use then there would be no harm switching to that your next oil change but no need to switch to a 10W-30. The 5W-40 is just going to cost you more...which will probably amount to $1.50 based on your oil capacity
wink.gif

Have fun !

I've ran 15w40 in my CBR down in 26*F, little slow starting up but it was fine.

I'd personally use 10w40 in the winter.

OK, if it were me, since it uses very small amount in crankcase, cost is not really a factor.

I'd use A3/B3 Euro 0W-40. And I'd use it year round. Good to well below any temp you can ride in. Thick enough and stout enough for all high temps. Meets Op Temp requirements for manual call out ( 40 ). Something off the Porsche A40 list. Pennz Platinum or Ultra would do fine, but there are plenty others ...
smile.gif

If you want to do it cheaper, try Rotella T6 5W-40 ...

No reason to change. 15w is good down to 20 degrees, and I bet you aren't riding then, at least not on a Buddy.
Any 10wxx MC oil is fine as well.
I take care of a Buddy 125. Always 20w50 VR1. Perfect for hot, high RPM, air cooled.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I've ran 15w40 in my CBR down in 26*F, little slow starting up but it was fine.

Same here.

Coldest I've ever ridden was 22*F... never again.

My cut-off point is about 38-40 now.

as several have already said, no real reason to change from 15w40

if you want, try blue jug 5w40
m1 0w40
you could also try the very stout castrol edge 0w30 that used to be GC. at least it used to be stout i havent sampled it in a few years now.
imho i would be running 20w50 during the summer and then go thinner to 15w40 in the fall and 5w40 for winter...or you could really go old school and just run the ol' red cap 15w50 m1 all the time!

steve

thanks all for the feedback...took my shash of full synthetics (Amsoil OE 15w-40 x 4 qts and Castrol Edge 10w-40 x 2 qts) and added to @ 4.5 qts of a frankenbrew (various synthetic, synblend, and dino 10w-40 & 15w-40 oils) that I used during the break-in of the scooter & afterward up to 2k miles; lots of mixing between 2 separate jugs & a 5 gallon gas can (used for oil blending); this stash will yield 10 + oil changes (use 750cc-800cc per oil change)...1k mile OCI's with new filter every 3k miles

Last edited:
*** update ***

this gets interesting...I participate in a summer ride series hosted by a local Harley dealership & I was selected a winner for the month of June & got a $100 gift card to use in the dealership; asked about H-D 10w-40 oil...none available even thru a special order; guess they didn't sell enough so they yanked it from the catalog!

sssooo...grabbed a qt & a gallon of their SYN 3 20w-50 synthetic oil (trial the qt in the scooter...if goes well then use the gallon for oil changes in warm weather; if not then blend the gallon with an hdeo 10w-30 in a 1:1 ratio and make a synblend frankenbrew); we'll see how it goes...

used the difference in the gift card to get ethanol treatment to stabilize gas...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back