2017 Jetta TSI SE 1.4L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiance just traded in her 2014 Jetta TSI SE with the Diesel motor for a brand new 2017 Jetta TSI SE with the new 1.4L Turbo/Direct Injection motor. She had to have the SE model so she can have her beloved sunroof & other goodies that come with that package. Anyways, the car had 3 whole miles on it when we picked it up. Rated at 150 HP & 170 pounds of torque at 1400 RPMS. She went with the 6 speed automatic which suits me just fine for her because she does alot of inner city driving through the week for work. This is the first year for the 1.4L Turbo/Direct Injection from Volkswagon -- estimating 31 for city & 39 for highway. Calling for the VW 502.00 oil spec. First 10,000 miles are covered under dealership for oil/filter changes. We have decided that I will be changing the oil/filter from the door. Question my BITOG Gurus -- which oil & filter do use recommend on this new gray beauty? Cant post pics at this time because she is at work & im on vacation -- will post photos later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd use Castrol Edge 0W40 which is available in 5 at jugs at many Wal-Marts and a Mann oil filter if Advance Auto stocks it. Be sure to include a pic of your gf with the car. Women that drive a Jetta tend to be better looking than average!

Congrats
Earlier this AM I checked out VW's website.
Looks great and I was interested in a few of their new to the US models

Filter: Mann (dealer filters are Mann also) or Mahle

Oil: Castrol 0W40, Mobil 1 0W40, or Pennzoil Euro 0W40 -- All are approved for VW 502 and are available from Wal-Mart. My choice would be the one on rollback price that month.

Nice car. We test drove a Jetta and really liked it. Ended up getting the GTI though!

Last edited:
We recently test drove 2 Jettas--the SE with the 1.4 & the SEL with the 1.8---they both reach 184 lb/ft of torque at approx 1400 rpm--incredible little engines--my daughter has a 2014 1,8T and loves it.
If I had a choice though, the 1.8 wins hands down on 'torqueiness'
The 1.4 has been out for at least 2 years though
Steve

What is that about women and sunroofs?? My wife drives me nuts car shopping.
I don't get the sunroof thing, it's a priority with them.
It's a possible leak, weak spot to me.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
What is that about women and sunroofs?? My wife drives me nuts car shopping.
I don't get the sunroof thing, it's a priority with them.
It's a possible leak, weak spot to me.

Me too! I hate sunroofs. I never use them, and ultimately they just leak or break. But since I tend to buy nicer vehicles, they have always cut a hole in the top.
mad.gif

2017 diesel engine, wouldn't that fall under the VW 507.00 certification?

502.00 is an older specification for gas engines that was replaced by the 504.00 (gas)/507.00 (diesel) specification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
2017 diesel engine, wouldn't that fall under the VW 507.00 certification?

502.00 is an older specification for gas engines that was replaced by the 504.00 (gas)/507.00 (diesel) specification.
He was referring to a previous car. 2015 was the last year for VW diesels, the 1.4L turbo is a gas engine.

Some 504.00/507.00 oils:

- Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30
- Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30
- Castrol EDGE Professional OE LL03 5W-30
- Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
- Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30
- Ravenol VMP 5W-30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
He was referring to a previous car. 2015 was the last year for VW diesels, the 1.4L turbo is a gas engine.

Good catch. My bad. HOWEVER, I think my point still stands? Wouldn't his engine fall under the newer 504.00 specification (which I have always seen coupled with the 507.00 specification).

You can also add:
- Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
- Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30
- ROWE Multi Synt DPF 5W-30

to the 504.00/507.00 (aka Porsche C30) list.

OP states 502 spec required. I have a '17 GTI and can confirm that VW is still calling for 502 oils in the gasoline engines. Why post all the 504/507 oils??

You can also add:
- Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
- Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30
- ROWE Multi Synt DPF 5W-30

to the 504.00/507.00 (aka Porsche C30) list.

Last edited:
Everything I have read states that 504.00 replaced 502 and is backwards compatible. I find it odd that VW is recommending an old standard. Perhaps 504.00 is only for long life use and long life is not the default for that 2017 model. Or perhaps it's for the European market only. OP, feel free to disregard my recommendation.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Me too! I hate sunroofs. I never use them, and ultimately they just leak or break. But since I tend to buy nicer vehicles, they have always cut a hole in the top.
mad.gif

Mine on the G37 has been good so far. The Audi, that was another story. When I had it, the rails must have been slightly warped somehow. It would work perfectly in -20 C, when it's useless, but would seize up in the summer.

Everything I have read states that 504.00 replaced 502 and is backwards compatible. I find it odd that VW is recommending an old standard.

I was thinking the same thing, shouldn't that be a 504.00 / 507.00 oil ? It is in Oz.

Still, follow the owners manual and use a 502/505 oil, I'm sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
mad.gif

Mine on the G37 has been good so far. The Audi, that was another story. When I had it, the rails must have been slightly warped somehow. It would work perfectly in -20 C, when it's useless, but would seize up in the summer.

Cars with factory fitted sunroofs are usually ok, i would never buy one that has been retrofitted with one however.
Also sunroofs reduce the rigidity of the car in a monocoque/unibody car.

504 is Mid-SAPS. Probably same reason BMW still recommends LL-01 vs LL-04 in the US. Like BMW, the VWs have a 10k mile OCI programmed in the on-board computer.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Everything I have read states that 504.00 replaced 502 and is backwards compatible. I find it odd that VW is recommending an old standard.

I was thinking the same thing, shouldn't that be a 504.00 / 507.00 oil ? It is in Oz.

Still, follow the owners manual and use a 502/505 oil, I'm sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
504 is Mid-SAPS. Probably same reason BMW still recommends LL-01 vs LL-04 in the US. Like BMW, the VWs have a 10k mile OCI programmed in the on-board computer.

Yeah I get the SAPS level difference, and I think 504/507 is better called a low-SAPS oil as many mid-SAPS oils are still 502/505 (ACEA C3) along with the high SAPS A3/B4 oils. I also get the sulphur in fuel thing and the OCI thing.

What I don't get is why. In Europe the same engine specs 504 / 507 and sure they have very low sulphur fuel, but Australia also spec the 504 / 507 oil and we have about the same (or a touch more) sulphur in our fuel as you do.

Also I believe the OCI in Europe is longer on low-SAPS oil (more like 20k miles) so why go shorter in the US on a higher SAPS oil ?

The spec for 504/507 is very high, one of the highest out there, it' takes a very high quality oil to meet it. The older 502/505 is a much easier spec to meet, many semi-synthetics carry it. Sure M1 or Edge 0W40 are high very high quality oils that carry 502/505 too, and would be great to use for the OP.

But why not tell people in North America to use the oil the engine was designed around. If you are worried about fuel, still spec 504/507 but just drop the OCI to 10k mikes (which they have anyway). Unless the SAPS is so low and the fuel is so bad, that they don't even think they can make 10k miles and they need the old high SAPS spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back