Fiat 125T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just seen this on our local auction site. The 125T was unique to New Zealand, being developed for a long distance race that was popular at the time. In 1980 I was working for the guy who made them, and drove it in the race, and other races to I pressume. We were a Fiat agent, and got plenty of 125's in, and the odd 125T...we had all the blueprints and specs to set them up.

608158368.jpg

No catch can back in the day, or Uni filters, they had a long oval fibreglass air filter, making it not easy to set up the carbs. Loved the road test on these things, cause you gotta give them heaps eh ?

608156975.jpg

Our rego label, showing it was first registered 10/72...and has never been off the books.

608156841.jpg

Nice little reminder from the past.

Cool ride!

Now to comply with NZ tobacco advertising ban, do what Jordan F1 did with their cars
wink.gif
:

Foto-14.jpg

Fiat has never caught on in the US, not even the latest iteration, the 500 POP. Goofy looking thing. I think I have seen two of them since they debuted three or four years ago.

I owned a few Fiats, they seemed to thrive on been given a thrashing, they rusted while you watched, and had a weird driving position presumably designed for long armed, short legged Italians.
No better or worse than other contemporary cars on sale in the UK.

Claud.

Thanks for the thread move, it wasn't supposed to be there.

The place was a Fiat and Mazda agent, lots of other things came in too, but mainly those brands. Mazda or Fiat ? No contest for me, the Fiats just loved to be driven hard, no matter what they were, soon as I got into one the Italian mind set clicked on. Thrash the ring out of them, they loved it. Mazda 808 or Fiat 128 ? The 808 couldn't get out of it's own way, the 128 was a rocket. We got rotaries too, but I was never impressed...Fiat 124 Sports Coupe ? Now that really impressed me for sure. The bosses wife drove a 124 sedan, but being a racer he had some good cams in it. She must've complained about it, because one day I had to put a set of standard cams into it.

They certainly rusted, but then anything assembled in NZ did back then, even the Japanese cars. The 125T was a homogulation special for production racing, not many were made. Fiat didn't approve, so the project was dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back