Mobil 1 v Super Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any real benefits using Mobil 1 over Mobil Super Synthetic? Seeing significant prices differences.

Basically, Mobil Oil's web site states that Mobil 1 is better, but is this just hype?

I have two Hyundai/Kias with non-turbo Theta/Theta-II engines. One GDI rural driving 11K miles per year and one normal FI urban driving 8K miles per year.

Both OCIs are
Thanks.

"Super" synthetic?

When are we going to see marketers switch to "Super-Duper" synthetic? Or is that just another name for Amsoil ?
grin.gif

It is a product line - some GM V8's will go 300k- 400k on the lower level Mobil Super

From the way I understand it, Mobil 1 now has their synthetic oils set up as:

Full GroupIII
GrpIII/PAO(GrpIV)
Full PAO(full GrpIV)

IDK if Mobil 1 has a Group V(ESTER)?

I have grabbed MSS on sale a few times ... probably about like another super - super tech
wink.gif

I'm going to be using 5w30 in my Theta II GDI. The owner's manual allows it. The 2011-14 Optimas and Sonatas have connecting rod issues and I'm not going to be taking any chances with 5w20 shearing way down with DI fuel dilution.

If you can get Super Synthetic for a good price, I'd use it. For me M1 is $22.88/5qt at Wallyworld so I'm not sure how much less you're seeing?

This chart includes the two Mobils in 5W30, but is, unfortunately, from way back in 2013...sorry that it's also the wrong grade for the OPer, this is the best head to head I've seen for the two.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Both look good by this analysis, but M1 has a little better cold crank performance and a somewhat lower NOACK loss. The Mobil Super is actually quite similar to Kendall GT1 5W30 by this chart, but that doesn't mean they'd necessarily perform the same in a given engine...there is so much that a VOA doesn't tell us.

Since your OCI's are relatively short IMO either would do just fine for you. Super is basically an auto parts store oil though, you can easily get M1 at Wally's for less than they want for Super most of the time.

M1 is the superior oil blend wise, but I doubt it would make any difference at less than 6k OCI's.

I picked up some SS at last years AZ 'Clearance' for $2 a quart....I'd have no issue running it 7500 miles...maybe more.

I'll stick with M1, after I use up the 2 cases.

Been using M1 for decades without any issues.

Last edited:
MSS VOA (2013) sort of similar to the SOPUS products. Very different add package vs. Mobil 1 20 and 30 grades.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I'll stick with M1, after I use up the 2 cases.

Been using M1 for decades without any issues.

For a second or so, when I looked over to the left at the post's author, I thought for sure it would be someone else
Steve

Originally Posted By: knerml
Are there any real benefits using Mobil 1 over Mobil Super Synthetic? Seeing significant prices differences.

Basically, Mobil Oil's web site states that Mobil 1 is better, but is this just hype?

I have two Hyundai/Kias with non-turbo Theta/Theta-II engines. One GDI rural driving 11K miles per year and one normal FI urban driving 8K miles per year.

Both OCIs are
Thanks.

You have a few choices here:
1) ask for opinions (which you've done)
2) test them and see for yourself (which apparently you're not doing).

If you would kindly define what "real benefits" means to you, then I can answer your question more accurately. I would define "real benefits" as that which would produce a tangible result that is both quantifiable and repeatable. IOW - will either product distinguish itself with less wear, cleaner running and/or more efficiency in a manner that you can ACTUALLY prove?

Given your operational parameter limits (6mo/6k miles), I suspect that there is ZERO difference. And that would also be true if you ran Mobil Super (dino), or W/M Supertech, and AAP house brand .... You're just not running the oils long enough to exhibit any performance differential. Remember this: one product can only be "better" if the other product fails to do something. If both products succeed, if they both met the goals, then neither surpassed the other.

What you're asking is akin to this:
Is the .30-'06 any "better" than a Win.308?
Maybe, but you'll never know because they are both overkill when you're hunting squirrels.

Win.308 analogy reminds me of the guys who say if "it don't start with .4 get more" - yet none let me test a .357 mag even on their non critical body parts ...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
MSS VOA (2013) sort of similar to the SOPUS products. Very different add package vs. Mobil 1 20 and 30 grades.

Link?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
It is a product line - some GM V8's will go 300k- 400k on the lower level Mobil Super

Pffft... I've done that with a couple vehicles (Ford and GM) with the cheapest 15W-40 I could buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back