Got hooked up to Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it work without the cable box? I forgot to ask the guy before he left.

I don't watch TV, so can I just run the line directly into the cable modem?

I use Comcast for internet and phone. Cable hooks directly to my wireless gateway.

Up in the PNW they call themselves Infinity. Everyone knows it's Comcast. The installer didn't go over things with you?

The installer told me I needed the cablebox to watch TV. He didn't tell me if I needed the cable box for the internet. But then again, I forgot to ask him if I needed the cable box for the internet. On my old AT&T DSL, all I have is the phone line going directly into the DSL modem and that's it.

Seems like there should be a box or router so you can plug in your wireless modem for internet. Most televisions can plug direct to cable unless you have a odd setup.

Granted, it's been a few years since I went through this.

Last edited:
The only reason I have a cable box is because I ordered the internet with TV bundle; it was cheaper to go that route than it was to order the internet by itself. The cable box is a big'ol honkin' behemoth thing. I'd like to box it up and get it out of my living room if I can.

It shouldnt impact your internet as your modem will be wired to a cable itself. Unplug tv box and see if ur internet still works...simple.

COMCAST will lie to you.

You don't need their Internet modem for any Xfinity bundle.

Chances are very high you can get cheaper Internet without Cable. Do an internet search for the cable price schedule for your municipal area. Once you have that, call them back and demand exactly, and only, what you want.

You can get your own modem, but it has to be one on their accepted hardware list.

I got it working without the cable box!
smile.gif
I called Comcast and asked "Banika" if I could hook the cable directly to the cable modem; she said yes.
smile.gif
Why didn't I call Comcast in the first place? Because it was a 15 minute wait and I can get an answer from my oil buddies quicker. Usually.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Illinois charges tax on TV but not on internet.
I currently have comcast internet only for $19.99

not a cent more, I love it.

That's crazy. For Comcast high speed internet alone I'd have to pay $70/month or so. The only thing that made sense was the internet, TV, and phone bundle for $129/month. TV by itself is $70-$90 as well.

I did a search for "cheap" HS internet only and couldn't get under $65/month...and the cheapest was satellite. AT&T is no longer expanding in this area so they don't HS internet to new customers. All their slots have been taken. It's pretty much a monopoly around here.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Illinois charges tax on TV but not on internet.
I currently have comcast internet only for $19.99

not a cent more, I love it.

Is that an introductory or hardship rate?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Seems like there should be a box or router so you can plug in your wireless modem for internet. Most televisions can plug direct to cable unless you have a odd setup.

You need a cable box or smart card to watch a cable signal. Obviously-you don't have cable.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
COMCAST will lie to you.

You don't need their Internet modem for any Xfinity bundle.

Chances are very high you can get cheaper Internet without Cable. Do an internet search for the cable price schedule for your municipal area. Once you have that, call them back and demand exactly, and only, what you want.

You can get your own modem, but it has to be one on their accepted hardware list.

NO-not the way Comcast "bundles" their packages in many parts of the country.

Got some major disinformation going on in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Will it work without the cable box? I forgot to ask the guy before he left.

I don't watch TV, so can I just run the line directly into the cable modem?

There are several channels that may be of interest to you-

Discovery (Science/nature) Velocity (Cars) National Geographic, HGTV (Home Improvement) and History Channel, if your package includes these channels.

Last edited:
With my last Comcast install, I had no box, the coax went from wall to tv. I had modem for internet . That was 2008. I'm sure it's different.

I've moved now and they want $90 for internet plus 140 channels.

Btw, my phone corrected me, they are called Xfinity in the PNW, not Infinity.

With my last Comcast install, I had no box, the coax went from wall to tv. I had modem for internet . That was 2008. I'm sure it's different.

I've moved now and they want $90 for internet plus 140 channels.

Btw, my phone corrected me, they are called Xfinity in the PNW, not Infinity.

Yes-it is now. A box or card is required.

Originally Posted By: CKN

You need a cable box or smart card to watch a cable signal. Obviously-you don't have cable.

Actually I do but I'm in Singapore at this moment so I defer to your knowledge. Things are different wherever you go. I'll be back in the States in a few months.

You will be fine without the box. The wireless router/modem will "act" as a cable box so to speak for your internet.

I know it's unrelated but I highly despise Comcast as a company. The have used their influence and power to push out local companies then buy the company out once the value has fallen.

I know a lot of people are very pleased with Comcast but I just can't support them due to their marketing tactics.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14554354/comcast-fastest-internet-wi-fi-lie-marketing-verizon-fios

Along with them misinforming customers of package speeds then stating their service is to them and not the networks connection to the web "Our 200mbps plan is the theoretical speed you have to our network and not representative of the speed of our network connection to the internet"

Along with this as well

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017...-its-customers/

Originally Posted By: CKN
There are several channels that may be of interest to you-

Discovery (Science/nature) Velocity (Cars) National Geographic, HGTV (Home Improvement) and History Channel, if your package includes these channels.

Which channel has the "How It's Made" show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back