Would you replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our ExSport has been developing a growling noise/vibration during braking... well its actually always had it. I just wrote it off that I would be doing brakes "soon." Fast forward to today and a tire rotation/brake inspection. Found the front brakes have plenty of meat on pads and rotors but the inside of the rotors are all chewed up and pitted. Rear brakes are just about worn out, probably 10k miles left... I'm assuming at some point the P.O. had a pad-slap done up front and the garage monkey turned only the visible side of the rotors.

Left the rear alone because they will definitely be replaced before the end of summer. Fronts I pulled off, lubed and such, then reinstalled. Oh, also found a small weeping piston seal on the left front caliper. Rebuild kits available, but rare. ANyhow, put it all back together and that growling noise seems to have resolved. Nice.

So... Other than a rear brake job two thoughts to ponder.
1. Front brake job to satisfy my OCD? Or just run 'em until they cause problems...
2. Replace or rebuild front caliper? I'm pretty strongly leaning towards rebuild since it could save a goodly $$ and if it doesn't work out oh well, then replace.

Do the front brakes and either rebuild or replace the leaking caliper. Remanufactured calipers can be had and you can usually get a decent core charge back. Get a new hardware kit and make the front right. You don't need fancy rotors, they are all pretty decent now. I like akebono ceramic pads. Expensive, but great pedal feel and responsiveness, and longevity.

The fronts do most of the stopping work, don't roll those dice.

Bleed all 4 wheels until you have gotten all the old fluid out.

In 10k miles you should be able to do the rears properly and then you'll have good safe brakes for a nice long while.

Your Yamaha WaveRunner ExSport has disc brakes? Who knew?

The reason for uneven pad wear could be hung brake pads, which could be- bad calipers, or sticky pads due to lack of lube, excessive dust, dry lube on pins, uneven track surface (on some brakes the flat surface that the pad ears engage).

1. It already needs a front brake job. If you have uneven pad wear/chewed up single rotor surface, you already need the brake job.
2. Who knows, since none of us had done a WaveRunner brake job. But you might throw us a bone and let us know what you're really driving, and what products and prices you have available to you.

I have same debate as you often! If it brakes good, keep using it til pads wear out and then replace rotors/pads and rebuild caliper at same time. Unless you have money lying around, u could do it now.

i have heard if a caliper is leaking its best to change both. around here it doesn't save alot to rebuild so i just get the reman ones.
i save alot ordering parts online dont know if that helps you though.
personally id wait until the pads wore out to change the rotors. but if you feel its effecting breaking change them i dont want you to get in a crash because of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back