Meguiar's Paint Protect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a bottle of this stuff at Ollies the other day for around $2.00 or $3.00 and thought I'd give it a try on my van.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g36516-paint-protect/

It seems to be easier to use than wax. My van is a full size Chevy conversion van so cleaning the inside and out and waxing it is an all day job so I wanted to try something that would cut the waxing time in half. It seems to work well. I used it on the black trim like the mirrors and cowl and seems to work pretty good.

I'm not sure it does much in the protect department, but it does seem to add some shine. I use it on my wheels since it is easy to apply and wipe off.

I picked up a few bottles a couple years ago for about a buck each. Used it a few times on my truck and wasn't super impressed. Very easy to use but minimal gloss. I don't remember how long the water beading held up compared to other waxes, though.

It was never designed to be a beauty product, it was more for protection, and for them to say it will protect for 365 days is quite outrageous. Does work pretty darn well on trim though, and doesn't wash off like many trim dressings do.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
It was never designed to be a beauty product, it was more for protection, and for them to say it will protect for 365 days is quite outrageous. Does work pretty darn well on trim though, and doesn't wash off like many trim dressings do.

I tried it when it first came out, it cost quite a bit more than the price mentioned here. I wasn't impressed with it on paint, but it does work well on trim as you mentioned. If I could find it as cheap as mentioned here I'd buy more just for black trim.

I bought 3 bottles at OLLIE'S also! I like it but, not on dark colors as it it very oily and smeary. You really need to work it in and wipe it off. On dark colors(black, navy), it isn't an..."apply, let set(5min) & wipe off" type of product(it is for lighter colors) however, this is how the label says to use it.

I do keep some car wax/silicone around but almost never use them anymore(mainly for headlight lenses). I only use *quick detailer/mist & wipe* type products these day(after each washing) and this Meguiar's PROTECT is in my ball park. I love it on the lighter colors(white, beige, silver etc.).

None of these "quick products" are long lasting but, I know this going in. And since these types of products are all I typically use now, my vehicles look just waxed every day, even after 18 yrs! And using these quick products take less time & elbow grease after each/most washings than it does waxing multiple vehicles 2-3 X/yr.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Picked up a bottle on clearance at Walmart a few months ago. Tried it on my hood for a start. Wasn't too impressed by the oil feel of it. Like another poster said, you can see it pretty clearly on dark paints. Never used it again. +1 for those who said it worked on trim. I'll have to give that a go so I don't waste my $2.50 investment!

If you want another quick/"year long" lasting "sealant" type product from Meguiars, try their aerosol Ultimate Fast Finish. Just saw Acc0rd79 on youtube try it out. Great product for those who want the simplicity of spray and wipe.

Yes I noticed the stuff is quite greasy. I can see how it would look awful on a dark colored vehicle. My van is white so it doesn't show as bad.

Last year I used some liquid Turtle Wax which was quite hard to rub off but it was still beading after a year (vehicle sits outside year round) except for the fiberglass top the conversion company installed. I even wiped the wax on and left it (didn't rub it off) on the top. Nobody can see the top. The main reason is I have to stand on a step ladder to clean the top I can barely get it the center without falling off. This van takes all day long to clean!

The worst stuff I ever used was some sort of wax made by a reputable company that said dirt would not stick to the paint. I still have the bottle and will try to find it to let you guys know what it is. The stuff seems to work somewhat when first applied but if you don't rub all the residue off, it leaves a film behind. I used it on a blue Mustang and my Subaru. The only way to remove it is to apply some other wax.

Normally I use that Meguiars spray wax that you apply when the car is wet then dry it.

Because the van takes so long to wash and wax, I've been trying various products that are "quick and dirty". Like I said, it's white so it's not bad about showing wax residue or smearing.

Glad to know about using it on plastic because I found my bottle to be basically useless.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I bought 3 bottles at OLLIE'S also! I like it but, not on dark colors as it it very oily and smeary. You really need to work it in and wipe it off. On dark colors(black, navy), it isn't an..."apply, let set(5min) & wipe off" type of product(it is for lighter colors) however, this is how the label says to use it.

I do keep some car wax/silicone around but almost never use them anymore(mainly for headlight lenses). I only use *quick detailer/mist & wipe* type products these day(after each washing) and this Meguiar's PROTECT is in my ball park. I love it on the lighter colors(white, beige, silver etc.).

None of these "quick products" are long lasting but, I know this going in. And since these types of products are all I typically use now, my vehicles look just waxed every day, even after 18 yrs! And using these quick products take less time & elbow grease after each/most washings than it does waxing multiple vehicles 2-3 X/yr.
smile.gif

Oh Ollies. My wife is from Niagara Falls so I know the store. That being said it is there for a reason. I am sure it is fine but nothing compared to a true wax/sealant treatment. Personally I have moved to a spray wax during the summer and only use Collinite in the winter when I know I wont be able to wash my vehicles as frequently

I've found Meguiar's Sealants/protectants to all be disappointing. I am a big fan of their Quik Interior Detailer and Ultimate Compound/Polish though.

I find the Ultimate polymer liquid sealer / wax to do well - your issues with it ?
Originally Posted By: smc733
I've found Meguiar's Sealants/protectants to all be disappointing. I am a big fan of their Quik Interior Detailer and Ultimate Compound/Polish though.

After using Menzerna Power Lock Sealant, I stopped with Meguair's product on my paint. IMO there's no comparison.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I find the Ultimate polymer liquid sealer / wax to do well - your issues with it ?

I used the liquid version, and it was very streaky, and I could never seem to get more than 4 weeks out of it on a clayed and polished surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back