Extended oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amf,egr,bmw and mb sludge,ecoboost fuel dilution,"obeying warranty" ,newer turbo's shearing oil, thinner oils,short tripping,heavy traffic, excessive heat, extreme winters,"engines notoriously hard on oil, c&p of damaged filters, uoa always showing something "out of norm", def and dpf soot and fuel dilution,"sensitive hpop and heiu" ,modern diesel injection specs and tolerances,
I could go on for days !!!!,also your answer or thoughts,can include bypass applications bc they are limited by above factors as well

What other than heavy highway use is eligible for extended oci, the more I read and want to extend oci the more reasons I read not to? And yes I now do uoa on everything with significant value.... What say you bitog junkies

Ps I'm on an oil website while waiting on rain to pass on vaca in siesta key fl, this is my deep thought for the day???

Last edited:
Add this to your first paragraph.

While today's engines are vastly superior to the rattly things of yesteryear they are smaller, have thinner "walls", require precise heat extraction (I just made that up but you know it's true) and could possibly have smaller oil passages which ostensibly could "logjam" more quickly with black chunks.

As mentioned, taxi cabs running 18 to 24 hours a day can probably do extended OCIs. BUT the longer they sit idling the less benefit you see from 'round the clock operation.

30 weight is still the way to go to mitigate most of the issues you mentioned. 10w-30 unless you need better cold cranking.

I'm happy with my 7500 mile oci until I UOA and can make adjustments

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
30 weight is still the way to go

lol also don't forget to buy warbonds

I take it you are in the thin camp? I don't care what you run. I know what works in my vehicles. The only thing I lose is 1-2% fuel economy.

It's a fair trade for me.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I take it you are in the thin camp? I don't care what you run. I know what works in my vehicles. The only thing I lose is 1-2% fuel economy.

It's a fair trade for me.

Your posts make it obvious you don't know the first thing about how oil works in any engine.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
what is an extended drain to you? 10k is for me. Oils do that no problem on lots of cars.

It really depends what vehicle we are talking about.on m1 extended drain my 96 ram at 5k looks terrible. Trying pp this go round,oc next week at 5k. With uoa
On my wife's yukon 2011, I understand olm is based on cenventionaln its at 5500 mi,road trip ends tomorrow after another 500 miles m1 ep will get uoa currently 16% left on olm.

Just sent out a sample at 30k on my work truck last week b4 vaca while in the shop it is getting 2 new Donaldson blue filters spun on and 2 gallons of Schaeffer 9k to top off.(running amsoil,eabp120 bypass)

My sport bike I drain and fill every few rides no new filter.(wet clutch) and i have 2 gallons of t6 left over from work...why not

And my jeep cj gets random changes not very often driven or serviced.

It really depends on the vehicle but normal drivers,I would say any number for oci is just what ever feels good with out data to back up. With all the above engine variables without uoa I would say 7500mi pushes my comfort level so I guess that is my "extended oci"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NStuart
Originally Posted By: E150GT
what is an extended drain to you? 10k is for me. Oils do that no problem on lots of cars.

It really depends what vehicle we are talking about.on m1 extended drain my 96 ram at 5k looks terrible. Trying pp this go round,oc next week at 5k. With uoa
On my wife's yukon 2011, I understand olm is based on cenventionaln its at 5500 mi,road trip ends tomorrow after another 500 miles m1 ep will get uoa currently 16% left on olm.

Just sent out a sample at 30k on my work truck last week b4 vaca while in the shop it is getting 2 new Donaldson blue filters spun on and 2 gallons of Schaeffer 9k to top off.(running amsoil,eabp120 bypass)

My sport bike I drain and fill every few rides no new filter.(wet clutch) and i have 2 gallons of t6 left over from work...why not

And my jeep cj gets random changes not very often driven or serviced.

It really depends on the vehicle but normal drivers,I would say any number for oci is just what ever feels good with out data to back up. With all the above engine variables without uoa I would say 7500mi pushes my comfort level so I guess that is my "extended oci"

Your 96 Ram probably has used dino for years and the M1 is cleaning it up.

Funny story there, I bought the truck when my wife's grandfather passed away, he bought it new in 1996. I bought the 96 3 years ago with 62k on it,and out of that 62k it made at least 10 trips from sav ga to keywest which is about a 1k mile trip. It was garage kept and babied its hole life.

I don't know what oil he ran in it but I did witness him change the oil before he passed and it went a little like this lol
1. Drain oil and refill with mineral spirits and oil (or something),and let run
2 shut off, drain ,swap filter,fill with oil
3.run engine,drain and fill with new filter and oil

That might not be exactly what he did bc of a 4 yo foggy memory but you get the point.
I only paid 3k for a like mew truck....winning

It does not have Direct Injection or a Carburetor so there is very little chance it will have fuel dilution issues. It prolly does not use/loose any coolant, so there is little chance of contamination that way. 5.0's and 5.7's are not hard on oil, at least not as hard as many engines. A good quality 5W-30 will do just fine
smile.gif

Nice truck. Good score. Will run a long time if maintained well. My "new to me" 1993 F-150 with only 83K on the ODO will get Delo 15W-30 SD until well past 150K. Than maybe 15W-40 out to the end.

These motors run well on that stuff and last a l-o-n-g time. Do the timing chain at 100K and again at 200K because it needs doing and the timing chain cover doubles as the water pump back half, so they get soft and leak into crankcase.

Keep up with tranny services. The AODE loves fresh fluid at about 60K intervals
smile.gif

And, if you want to know how far you can push it with by-pass filtration, full flow filtration and really good oil, read through this:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4445186/Amsoil_SS_5w-20,_62,000_miles,#Post4445186

Yes, that is 62,000 miles on the same oil in a Ford ...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It might be in Maxwell or Susanville, or Truckee, and the like. Prolly opt for a 5W there. But I'm down lower so it won't get into the teens here - no worries
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back