Rental Buick Regal: worth a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dealer about 90 miles from me has a 2016 Buick Regal turbo, crystal red over beige, w/ 17,750 miles. According to the Carfax, it was a rental car in Georgia for the 8 months it's been in service. So we're talking more than 2K miles a month. I know that if those miles had been all/mostly highway, that would be good; but how about otherwise?

Car has 3 years of bumper-to-bumper warranty left and 4 on the drivetrain warranty, the sales guy says. Of course, the moment I check on Loozyana insurance for it, my hair will probably turn green, and that'll be the end of this idea . . . but I'm wondering if a rental car is always and necessarily a bad deal.

So you had a C class Benz a while ago, did you stick to Buick ever since? Are you on your second Buick since moving to GM? Just curious. Also interested in the outcome of the thread.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
So you had a C class Benz a while ago, did you stick to Buick ever since? Are you on your second Buick since moving to GM? Just curious. Also interested in the outcome of the thread.

Oh, yeah, I traded that C-Class almost exactly 10 years ago! Summer of 2007 I bought the Buick Park Avenue, and kept it until Jan. 2014, when I purchased this neat mid-size Regal. I'm in no rush to trade it, as it is still as solid and fun to drive as ever. But a turbo engine would surely be even more fun.

Only experience was that my mother had purchased a previous rental car in 1990. It was a 1988 Topaz. It provided good service to the family. We also knew it was based in the Springfield, Mo Budget Rental office. It had little use and low miles. It served my family fairly well until it was totaled in an accident several years later. It appeared well maintained, oil-change-wise, and I did the 30K service on it when the time came.

We hot a great deal on a 2011 yukon with 95 k was rental for first 40k. A little rough on the edges but 5k less than any comprable within 1500miles

Dishdude on here used to have one and has said the 2.4 Regal is a DOG compared to the Turbo model.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Dishdude on here used to have one and has said the 2.4 Regal is a DOG compared to the Turbo model.

I've never driven the Turbo, but 80 more hp is going to make a real difference if the two cars being compared weigh the same. The 2.4 doesn't really get the bit between its teeth until it's revving at 2500 or more; so I've been using the manumatic transmission and shifting down to 5th or even 4th when I need some extra grunt for climbing a steep bridge or incline.

A nearly new previous rental is usually a good buy IMO. I've never known anyone that had anything but good service out of a previous rental. Our current KIA was one and has been awesome. I mean really, it's almost a new car.

With that amount of miles, I wouldn't worry too much if it's in nice shape. I can think of a ton of people who's vehicles I'd turn down in lieu of the same one but with a rental history instead.

Our 2012 Mazda5 was a rental for its first 40k miles. Now it's up to nearly 100K and we've had no issues with it at all. Replaced front brake pads once and oil changes is all I've done to it. Doesn't need any make-up oil between 6K changes. It had a few interior blemishes when we bought it, but it's held up great!

YMMV, of course.

Does it have the 2.0 Turbo motor? (LTG) If so do it. We have it in the Malibu. Nice little engine that makes good power!

Edit:

I checked. It appears that it is. Same specs as my Malibu. I have been happy with it just over 36,000 miles now.
No issues. Just gas and oil. It is young so time will tell, but it delivers decent power and will be NIGHT and DAY from your
N/A 2.4.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Oh, yeah, I traded that C-Class almost exactly 10 years ago! Summer of 2007 I bought the Buick Park Avenue, and kept it until Jan. 2014, when I purchased this neat mid-size Regal. I'm in no rush to trade it, as it is still as solid and fun to drive as ever. But a turbo engine would surely be even more fun.
Cool! I think it comes down to what you want in particular. If the financials work out and you have good resale value for the '11, and a low enough entry price for the newer Regal, then go for it. Otherwise, if you're looking at maybe spending a lot of money to get into a Regal thats only a few years newer, then it could be a regrettable financial decision. Plus, the kind of Regal you're looking at is going to have a turbo engine that GM might not have perfected yet, but I'll bet a dime that the engine in your '11 will be less problematic over the next 100,000 miles vs. the engine in the Regal you are considering.

The deal would need to be really right. Resale would be affected too.

But turbo and a good color. And warranty. Can the warranty be extended? Dealer throwing in a true GM extended might make the deal.

Many Regal rentals would be base models. The premium II options like leather, bose, accident avoidance, etc might make a better fit for you if you like those things. I'm surprised that Regals and LaCrosse's aren't that far apart in price, but a big difference in driving and power. I like the 2.0t over the 2.4 n/a, but I like the 3.6 over both.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Many Regal rentals would be base models. The premium II options like leather, bose, accident avoidance, etc might make a better fit for you if you like those things. I'm surprised that Regals and LaCrosse's aren't that far apart in price, but a big difference in driving and power. I like the 2.0t over the 2.4 n/a, but I like the 3.6 over both.

Good point, if I were OP, I'd be looking at a LaCrosse too. Regal is a really nice car, but I also really like the 2010-2016 LaCrosse too.

My Sonata was a rental. I've had it for 5 months and 9,000 miles and it's been flawless.

But I got it for a great price. In order for it to be worth it it needs to have the price dropped dramatically IMO.

Only downside is that the car will have "rental" on the history. Plus side it is a good deal. I would do it. FWIW my Cruze was a service loaner and listed as a rental on the Carfax.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The deal would need to be really right. Resale would be affected too.

But turbo and a good color. And warranty. Can the warranty be extended? Dealer throwing in a true GM extended might make the deal.

Unfortunately it's a Nissan dealer, not a GM. Or can that be arranged?

I've thought about the LaCrosse, though I haven't driven a recent model. But the interior of the recent generation LaCrosse has that high ski-jump center console that, even though the car is bigger than a Regal, makes it seem more cramped to me.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Unfortunately it's a Nissan dealer, not a GM. Or can that be arranged?

Did the dealer buy it at auction? Just wondering the history of it. Do you have a link for it? I do like the interior of the Regal better than the Lacrosse. Seems more up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back