Hankook vs Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
DynaPro ATM RF10 vs Discover A/T3. Basically, it's %541 vs $496 if I skip the road hazard warranty. I've read that Cooper is made in US (but haven't confirmed that). From what I've read... basically the same performing tire all around. If I pop a tire while out and about, can I get one over the other "quickly" and be back on the road? For that reason alone I'm leaning towards Cooper. Not that I've had a problem with tires in twenty years but I try not to tempt Mr Murphy either.

The Hankook iPikes I have seem to be great tires so far, so that kinda makes me want to get those again.

Hankook ATM have held up better than the AT3 for us. A lot of people claim the AT3 is great in snow but the sipping wears down and then the AT3 is not that great of a tire. Hankook for the win here. We see gravel roads, fields and mud.

I have the Cooper AT3 tires on my Jeep Wrangler and love the way they handle and grip while retaining a nice quiet on-road ride. Better than any other All Terrain rubber I have ever owned, including BF Goodrich, Kumho, Yokohama and Michelin. Very aggressive looking tread without the noise or stiff sidewall. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Hankook ATM have held up better than the AT3 for us. A lot of people claim the AT3 is great in snow but the sipping wears down and then the AT3 is not that great of a tire. Hankook for the win here.

That is good to know. I would like to have ok snow/ice performance, but am not super worried as I plan to run winter tires. But it's always nice to know that the tires can handle mild slop.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
I have the Cooper AT3 tires on my Jeep Wrangler and love the way they handle and grip while retaining a nice quiet on-road ride. Better than any other All Terrain rubber I have ever owned, including BF Goodrich, Kumho, Yokohama and Michelin. Very aggressive looking tread without the noise or stiff sidewall. YMMV.

YMMV, indeed. Looking at all the reviews I could find, not many complaints about either tire. The occasional "I'll never buy from ___ manufacturer again" but that's true for any maker.

I have the A/T3s on my truck and love them. I live in FL so I can't comment on snow or ice, but they handle rain very well. They perform well in the sugar sand and mud down here during hunting season too.

It came down to the same two for me when I was looking and to be honest the only reason I went with Cooper was a $70 rebate and a local tire shop matched online price at the time, he wouldn't do that for the Hankook's and no rebate at the time.

I've had them on for two winters now and they work great. I have the LT225/70R16.

My AT3's also had the siping wear down and were pretty worthless in the snow last winter. The siping isn't as deep as the tread blocks. It would have been nice to have it at least cut down to the wear bars. But I'm sure there's a reason they couldn't do that.

That said....I got 70K out of them and there was still life left so they weren't all bad. I'd buy them again, but it would have to be because of price point/sale. I don't see them as being any better or worse than the other sets of AT tires I've had on my truck.

Last edited:
They were easy to get off my curb - after only 10k four 20" Hankooks sat for Sunday junk roamers.
(Trash day is Monday)

Most Coopers have a 45 day test ride guarantee from the company. There's a reason Hankooks don't have that offer. They do get LOUD as they age. Not a bad tire but a notch or two lower than Cooper. I can't wait to get rid of the Hankooks on the Matrix, whew!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
They were easy to get off my curb - after only 10k four 20" Hankooks sat for Sunday junk roamers.
(Trash day is Monday)

That's a bummer.
frown.gif
The iPikes on my truck have been good to me, hence I'm ok with trying Hankook again. Michelin, not so much.

Debated going with Walmart as they were close in price, but this will support the garage down the street--and is the cheapest path (short of saving another $45 with Coopers) on decent tires.

The AT's are probably fine - These were those Optimo - 426 factory tires - I think someone else on here pulled them off - I did not find them good in the rain - and when I had a couple get a a nail near the edge - nobody had them.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The AT's are probably fine - These were those Optimo - 426 factory tires - I think someone else on here pulled them off - I did not find them good in the rain - and when I had a couple get a a nail near the edge - nobody had them.

Yeah, it's hard with tires. One maker makes so many kinds. They can make some stinkers and good ones at the same time. Also I've read (on this site) that what goes to the OEM's is not the same that you can buy over the counter, which makes it all the worse. After trying high dollar LTX's going back to mid-range. I'm hoping for 30k which might be 5 years.

Are those prices just for the tire or installation too? That's an excellent price for a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I was looking at them on DTD for my Subaru, a set of 235/60-17's and they're $162.81 each. YIKES. I've run Discoverers on other trucks and SUVs in the past, but this was years ago. I've always had good luck with Coopers. The prices just overwhelm me these days.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
This is interesting reading but you already ordered..

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

I recall seeing that one; I was definately thinking about the Coopers. But I also found a link to CR that had the ATM's ranked much higher, plus there was the comment about sipping not being full depth. Flip a coin and chose which is cheaper, I figured; but my Hankooks seem ok so why not another set?

Originally Posted By: JTK
Are those prices just for the tire or installation too? That's an excellent price for a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I was looking at them on DTD for my Subaru, a set of 235/60-17's and they're $162.81 each. YIKES. I've run Discoverers on other trucks and SUVs in the past, but this was years ago. I've always had good luck with Coopers. The prices just overwhelm me these days.

Prices assume $20/ea for mount and balance. Town Fair wanted $170/ea for ATM's, mnt&bal included, and another shop $187 (forget if RH was included or not). If all works out, DTD will be $135.29/ea, once I get the rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back