ZF 4HP24 Transmission Fluid Audi/Land Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have quantity of Genuine Volkswagen G 052 162 A2 Automatic Transmission Fluid. I would like to use it in my 2000 Land Rover Discovery. The ATF I just mentioned is suitable for use in 1992-1994 Audi V8 Quattros, which have a ZF 4HP24A automatic transmission. My Discovery has a ZF 4HP24. I think the "A" simply distinguishes it as an Audi version of the same transmission.

My Discovery calls for Dexron III and I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic for the past number of years. I would really like to be able to use the VW stuff but I'm scared! I wonder what it is/who makes it?

The VW stuff will most likely be fine.

HOWEVER, Dex III is too cheap to mess around with other stuff. Post the VW stuff for sale and use Dex III.

I'm hoping that the G 052 162 A2 Automatic Transmission Fluid is really Pentosin ATF 1. I'd like to know more about it (the Genuine VW Product). I agree with you about the Dex III being cheap, but I'd really, really like to use the VW stuff if I can. I need more info.

I too used the M1 ATF as well as a more standard DexIII in my 2003 Disco...

The VAG group sources a lot of Pentosin for the in-service OEM fluids sold over the parts counter, so it is quite possible it is a Pentosin product. I'd imagine you can source the ZF branded Lifeguard 5 fluid (I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same oil that is in the OEM bottle) that would be suitable for your application as well but like the OEM product, it will be pricey.

There are also a ton of aftermarket brands out there that cover that OEM part # as well- it will even be listed on their technical data sheets. As you mentioned, the Pentosin ATF 1 being one of them. Like the OP said, I would use a better value aftermarket alternative and be done with it. A Dex III specific product included.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A3D2
Tech support at ZF sent me this document and said that the 4HP22/24 use the same fluid regardless of the vehicle manufacturer.

[URL]https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/07/full-44486-9567-capture.png

So I guess I shuld be safe to use the VW stuff.

I wonder what is the difference between group 11A and B in the document? Who makes the VW Stuff?

I think you're overthinking this... ZF themselves said IN WRITING a Dex III is ok for use:

And also listing these alternatives:

ZF also stated the VW stuff was fine since it falls under the ZF-11 category along with the aftermarket alternatives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A3D2
I know I'm overthinking it!
You certainly are the 4hp22 is a very stout transmission. It thrives on dino dex-merc. Pamper yours with anything. Mostly you want to keep it full.
grin2.gif

the G052162a2 is the same fluid my 5hp19 takes in my Audi. Reading into it it looks like its really just a syn based dex3 based fluid which would be more than adequate in your Land Rover.

I've been using Mobil 1 for about 4 years now and like the idea of using a synthetic product. When I made the initial switch to M1 I swear the thing started to shift more smoothly. Perhaps it was just the change that did it and any product would have made an improvement. According to the manual the system capacity is 19L, but I only get around 8L when I drain it. I try to remove and replace 8L per year. The VW stuff will be going in next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back