Oil for a 2017 RAM CTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The maintenance package that I purchased from the dealer includes 10 synthetic oil changes, 10 tire rotations / balances and fluid verifications, and 5 wheel alignments. During my first oil change, the dealer used RAM part # 68218941AC oil.

The little I have been able to find regarding the RAM part # 68218941AC oil. The RAM website identifies that it is for the CTD. It is 15W-40 but the bottles do not reference that it is synthetic. Since other RAM oils do reference "Synthetic", I suspect that it is a conventional oil.

Since I paid for synthetic, I will get on them about using synthetic in lieu of the RAM part # 68218941A that is identified in their system. I am trying to verify that conventional oil is used.

Is it acceptable to use T6 year around? That is the oil the dealer used in my last EcoD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tstewart
Is it acceptable to use T6 year around?
T6 is a 5W-40 synthetic and works in all ranges of temperatures. If you are looking for an oil that works year round then any 5W-40 which meets the specifications for your engine will serve you well.

Interesting. ya that part number comes back to the 15w40, which is rare in a synthetic. In this day in age with all the marketing hype, if it was synthetic it would be labeled as such Not like there would be anything wrong with the oil regardless. But you paid for the "synthetic" so you [censored] well better get it.

There are full syn 15w40's, but not very common. I would be somewhat averse to using a 15w40 in that engine, but not sure I would fret much over it. If the dealer was not using the oil I had paid for, then I would have a fit on that issue alone. Being short changed on what the consumer is paying for is immoral.

Why would anyone pay for dealer service outside of warranty work?!

For sure you overpaid for what you're getting. The subbing of regular for synthetic is just the tip of the iceberg. At least that's been my experience.

Simple service work gets done sloppy if at all. The money has already been had, no incentive to actually go the extra mile.

Sadly most drivers won't even notice, so the incentive to short change is even greater than yore.

Either you DIY or resign to the fact that every time you let a dealer touch your car, something new will go snap.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
There are full syn 15w40's, but not very common.

I agree. I have seen them, mostly in boutiques, but I don't see any overriding reason for Shell to make a special 15w-40 synthetic solely for Chrysler dealerships, given what they already have available in the Rotella lines.

Originally Posted By: tstewart
The maintenance package that I purchased from the dealer includes 10 synthetic oil changes, 10 tire rotations / balances and fluid verifications, and 5 wheel alignments. During my first oil change, the dealer used RAM part # 68218941AC oil.

The little I have been able to find regarding the RAM part # 68218941AC oil. The RAM website identifies that it is for the CTD. It is 15W-40 but the bottles do not reference that it is synthetic. Since other RAM oils do reference "Synthetic", I suspect that it is a conventional oil.

Since I paid for synthetic, I will get on them about using synthetic in lieu of the RAM part # 68218941A that is identified in their system. I am trying to verify that conventional oil is used.

Is it acceptable to use T6 year around? That is the oil the dealer used in my last EcoD.

I tried looking for info. on that part number and surprising very little is out there. So this is way I look at it. You did buy a maintenence package that involved synthetic oil. Does the oil used say its synthetic? If not they are not holding there end of the deal up. Just don't take the answer its synthetic, demand they show it to you.

Highlighted in yellow is what I assume is the same oil, just different quantities. It appears that it isn't synthetic since under Product where I highlighted in Red you can see that they clearly state when an oil is synthetic.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Why would anyone pay for dealer service outside of warranty work?!

For sure you overpaid for what you're getting. The subbing of regular for synthetic is just the tip of the iceberg. At least that's been my experience.

Simple service work gets done sloppy if at all. The money has already been had, no incentive to actually go the extra mile.

Sadly most drivers won't even notice, so the incentive to short change is even greater than yore.

Either you DIY or resign to the fact that every time you let a dealer touch your car, something new will go snap.

What little spare time I have is devoted to maintaining and building my road race motorcycles. That is why I pay the dealer to do oil changes. My time is much to valuable to waste on simple truck service. Their incentive is the fact that I have purchased 5 vehicles from them in the past three years. I have been working with the service manager for a number of years. The dealership will have no problem correcting the issue. I just wanted to be sure my facts are straight regarding the conventional oil used. Most likely they used the oil identified in the RAM data base not considering that it was conventional oil.

At $800.00 for 10 synthetic oil changes, 10 tire rotations / balances and fluid verifications, and 5 wheel alignments, I hardly think that I over paid. They have actually been a very responsive service department to work with over the past few years.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Highlighted in yellow is what I assume is the same oil, just different quantities. It appears that it isn't synthetic since under Product where I highlighted in Red you can see that they clearly state when an oil is synthetic.

I found the same document yesterday. I agree, if it is synthetic, it would say as such. I will just have them use T6. They stock it and used it in my EcoD. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back