Help in choosing oil for Kia Optima JF 2.0 CVVL

Status
Not open for further replies.

J23

Hello.

I've bought Optima (Korean build) with 2.0 CVVL NU engine (with variable valve lifting) - I'll change oil at 1500km, but I'm not sure which one should I choose - owner manual stands for:

Oil grade
Recommended
- All (Except Middle east, India, Libia, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Sudan, Egypt, Iran) : ILSAC GF-4 & API SM / 5W-20
- Middle east, India, Libia, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Sudan, Egypt, Iran : ACEA A5 / 5W-30

I've narrowed my search to three oils:

Valvoline ENV C2 which I'm using right now in a Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT Gamma engine (120K kilometers without a problem) https://goo.gl/s4nTq5
RAVENOL SFE SAE 5W-20 - https://goo.gl/DCd9ys - in my opinion this would be best choice
There is also a LOTOS Quazar K/FE SAE 5W-30 - oil that Kia Motors Poland recommends - here its PDS https://goo.gl/92wNmU

I'm driving 20-30 thousands kilometers annually, most of these mileage are long trips on highway (mostly in Germany, with v. high speed (~170-180 km/h))/express way. I'll change oil per every 10.000 kilometers.

Thank you in advance for help, if you have more suggestions you're all welcome
smile.gif

Driving that fast often seems like it will kill it sooner rather than later. 90%+ throttle guessing at those speeds, yikes. I hammer down occasionally. Your Korean car wasn't ment to be used like that. Plan on a replacement soon. That's just needlessly beating on it. Good luck sir.

To be honest, I've similar driving strategy with Rio - at 170-180KPH RPM are ~5000, the redline starts at 6750. What is more, the oil consumption is none - or unnoticeable.

With that type of driving I would opt for an A5/B5 5W-30. Ravenol, Fuchs, Elf, Total, etc should have something for you in your region.

Originally Posted By: J23
To be honest, I've similar driving strategy with Rio - at 170-180KPH RPM are ~5000, the redline starts at 6750. What is more, the oil consumption is none - or unnoticeable.

I would pick Valvoline ENV C2 5W30 , for its A5B5 and SN and oil rationalisation.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does kia make a car that will go 111mph?

Every single KIA made can do over that.

For UK models...

Kia Picanto, fastest model only does 109mph.
Kia Sportage, slowest models 109mph.
Kia Rio, slowest model 99mph.

Things different for US spec models ?

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does kia make a car that will go 111mph?

Every single KIA made can do over that.

For UK models...

Kia Picanto, fastest model only does 109mph.
Kia Sportage, slowest models 109mph.
Kia Rio, slowest model 99mph.

Things different for US spec models ?

I don't know, I live in Canada.
wink.gif

But yes. Typically we only get the models with the biggest engines, we don't get the small engine options like the UK or the EU. Gas is nearly free here in comparison. The Picanto is not sold here, too small. I looked online, and our slowest KIA will do 116 MPH.

The smallest engine in the smallest vehicle here is the Rio with a 1.6L, 137 hp and either 6 speed manual or automatic.

Last edited:
Out of the three, I am only familiar with the Valvoline, they call it SynPower here. I generally prefer to use Mobil1 or Castrol and reserve Valvoline in case I am low on oil and the retailer only has that.

Why did you dismiss Mobil1?

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Driving that fast often seems like it will kill it sooner rather than later. 90%+ throttle guessing at those speeds, yikes. I hammer down occasionally. Your Korean car wasn't ment to be used like that. Plan on a replacement soon. That's just needlessly beating on it. Good luck sir.

No, driving a Kia on the Autobahn does not require 90% throttle. It does engender high RPM, but I would say no more than 1/3rd throttle. The car will be fine.

OTOH, max velocity in a rental Kia Cee'd sportwagen of 235 km/h was reached at full throttle, but that's neither here nor there...

[edit] I personally would use 5w30 over 5w20 in an Autobahn application. Either of your 5w30 choices listed, whichever is less costly. I've used US Spec API SN 5w30 in my two Kias with good results, one almost to 200,000 KM. I drive fast on the expressway, not as fast as you, but there is a toll road near me with speed limit 85mph or 136.7km/h, which I use frequently and go 5-10mph over limit, so approaching 153 KM/h. This toll road has the highest speed limit of any road in the USA.

Now I will put 5w30 in my new to me Hyundai (Theta II engine also used in Kia models) starting within the next week or two, right now it has dealer bulk 5w20, but will change to 5w30 when I change it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back