Plain Red grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Ferris Zero turn mower says to use "Red grease" and not to mix greases. What is plain red grease and where can I get it? I've looked in several stores and have seen every kind of grease except "Red grease".

I would bet it's NLGI #2 Lithium Complex grease. Basically hi-temp wheel bearing grease you can find on the shelf at the auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I would bet it's NLGI #2 Lithium Complex grease. Basically hi-temp wheel bearing grease you can find on the shelf at the auto parts store.

I think you might win that bet. Their owner's manuals state "Ferris Red Grease(P/N 5022285) is recommended, automotive-type high-temperature, lithium grease may be used when
this is not available."

Highly regarded Mystic JT6 high temperature grease would work AND......it's RED!!!!!!!!

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/GREASE/665005002

As above, probably, though the phrase is pretty stupid unless you can get polka dot or plaid grease.Suits YOU sir! Ooh!

("red grease" usually means "rubber grease" but probably not here)

That red grease liquefies in the summer heat; I wouldn't recommend it.

I recommend the stuff in the purple cartridge. It's a gold color.

15933_l.jpg

I believe that's what I red too somewhere. I also have a ferris. Unfortunately my dealer told me to use general purpose grease, so I bet it already has different types of grease in it, but then again I doubt they greased anything.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
x2 on the recommendation for Mystik JT-6.

x3 on the recommendation for Mystik JT-6.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That red grease liquefies in the summer heat; I wouldn't recommend it.

I recommend the stuff in the purple cartridge. It's a gold color.

15933_l.jpg

You sure have a high post count but I wish when a statement is made contrary to a manufacturer recommendation that some supporting evidence would be included in the post so we could make our own conclusions.

Thanks for the suggestions. When the dealer set it up they greased it. Mechanic said they don't come with enough grease from the factory, especially the front wheels and spindles. They used a light golden grease. I didn't really want to put a "black" grease in with the golden stuff. Guess I'll just go buy it from them.

The color of the grease is just a color - It helps when you are pumping grease into zerks so that you know when the old stuff is migrating out.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
You sure have a high post count but I wish when a statement is made contrary to a manufacturer recommendation that some supporting evidence would be included in the post so we could make our own conclusions.

Supporting evidence? You want me to photograph the grease gun dripping liquid grease all over the garage floor? When you first see it, it looks like blood everywhere.

This is what you need for your grease gun if you have red grease:

8326_3.jpg

I have to disagree. If you have a decent quality red grease, the tray at the bottom will be unnecessary. My guns don't leak a drop, and I keep 1 tube upside down on the shelf. 6 months now, and not a drop of oil in the cap. Might be time to switch grease brands if you need the oil catcher. The rest of that contraption, however, I kinda like

This is what you need for your grease gun if you have red grease:

8326_3.jpg

Thanks for the photo but not the type of documentation I was hoping for.
grin.gif

All the same, those are very handy to have for wall hanging...but its the grease gun I keep behind my truck seat with Moly that leaks the worst in my case.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
My new Ferris Zero turn mower says to use "Red grease" and not to mix greases. What is plain red grease and where can I get it? I've looked in several stores and have seen every kind of grease except "Red grease".

Don't over think this too much. Zero turns are not overly taxing regarding grease requirements. The guys here that delve into specialty greases are usually maintaining specialized equipment like member Damon who (to my knowledge) runs extreme duty off highway construction equipment under nasty conditions.

Grease color means NOTHING. Some fall for the marketing ploy....I.E. Kendall Super Blue had a following in my area years ago. Men are fickle about these things. Red, blue, or green must be better than plain old amber.

Lithium Complex type grease will work fine for you. Merk's Sta Lube spec sheet shows it to be just a plain old lithium complex grease with average specs.. The only thing outstanding is its label "New Generation".....another marketing ploy to sway people to buy something "special".

Nothing here stands out over other products: http://api.crcindustries.com/auto-services/get-pds/SL3110 .....the water washout seems to be rather high.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Don't over think this too much. Zero turns are not overly taxing regarding grease requirements. The guys here that delve into specialty greases are usually maintaining specialized equipment like member Damon who (to my knowledge) runs extreme duty off highway construction equipment under nasty conditions.

Grease color means NOTHING. Some fall for the marketing ploy....I.E. Kendall Super Blue had a following in my area years ago. Men are fickle about these things. Red, blue, or green must be better than plain old amber.

Lithium Complex type grease will work fine for you. Merk's Sta Lube spec sheet shows it to be just a plain old lithium complex grease with average specs.. The only thing outstanding is its label "New Generation".....another marketing ploy to sway people to buy something "special".

Nothing here stands out over other products: http://api.crcindustries.com/auto-services/get-pds/SL3110 .....the water washout seems to be rather high.

Posts like yours really help me to learn and better understand the subject.

Thanks

Just to be clear, this is the grease that melts:

6130zwfAwxL._SY450_.jpg

Jddan - What is the temperature of your garage in the summer?

Mine is anywhere from 110 Fahrenheit to 118 Fahrenheit throughout the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back