What was your first cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iphone 4 for work 5 years ago... I bought my own iphone 5s a 18 months ago. I'm not an early adopter
laugh.gif

Motorola DPC-550 flip phone. That and a $30/mo 15 minute cell phone plan with no long distance.

My how far we've come!

AT&T bag phone which I think was a limo phone (remote transceiver - remember those boomerang antennas on the trunks of Lincoln TownCars ? ) tossed in a bag with a humongous battery pack. Still have it, still works for 9-11.

Some old monochrome Nokia bar phone circa 2001 -> LG VX-3200 flip phone -> LG Chocolate slider -> some small basic LG smartphone -> Motorola Droid Razr M -> LG Lancet -> iPhone 7 Plus

Amazing how cellphone technology and style has changed over the last 15+ years!

Some cheesy Sprint PCS phone with extendable antenna in the mid/late 90s, when I was married to my first wife. It didn't have that many minutes, she kept it in her purse and the car mainly in case of emergencies, or if we were traveling.

It wasn't until the early 00's that minutes were cheap enough that a normal person could use it as an everyday, non-business use phone. Even then would try to conserve "anytime" minutes in favor of calling people at night or on the weekend.

I actually had a full size phone mounted in my Truck with a receiver mounted under the passenger seat. It quit working and they sent a technician out and he had one of the first cell phones. He was explaining to me how everything was in this phone, no receiver, no bag, it's all in there. I was like no way.
A year later my wife got a Nokia. I still liked the phone in the truck, felt like a major player on it. But it was a antique.

Kyocera 2325 on a prepaid Verizon plan. $10 a month and only 250 texts a month.

Phone lasted me I think 3 or 4 years. Then there was a connection that went bad from the phone being on vibrate and the display stopped working.

Edit: it's 2017 and I still only have 250 texts a month. Don't even come close!

1992 - Tandy/Radio Shack.
$100, then I think about $75 a month for service.

60 minutes a MONTH included in the plan, overages were $$$$
"Roaming fees" were $$$$$

I forget the provider. "Line of sight" signal - you had to LITERALLY be able to see the tower for it to work, LOL!

It took 8 hours to recharge, and the phone had to be turned OFF to charge it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Edit: it's 2017 and I still only have 250 texts a month. Don't even come close!

I had the same until 2009 when I met my fiance.
Durn women - they like texting better than talking?

Novatel Bag Phone with Cellular One (Louisiana) and then Bluegrass Cellular (Kentucky) circa 1989.

vintage-novatel-bag-cell-phone-brick_1_694d3e28c9e43634b9a75f7f2b2954e7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back