Best way to grip a semi automatic pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grip every gun slightly differently. The 1911 drops into my hand and "feels" right.

But the glock feels like an extension of my arm when holding it.

Whatever works best for you. Just keep in mind clearance for slide recoil . When that slide hits your thumb it bleeds like [censored]. Do it in winter it makes loading really hard with the blood getting all over the rounds and mags. You'll only do it once usually though. Two hands makes sure you don't stick your other hand out in front. Just a good habit to form. Some fine day try shooting Gangsta style, sideways like on tv. It'll show you how stupid these guys are.
crazy.gif

Don't forget your stance. Basically there's Bladed with one foot ahead of the other then Weaver. Weaver makes you a wider easier to hit target in police circles.

Weaver stance is, essentially, bladed. Feet about 45 degrees to the target. LAPD detective named Weaver was the proponent of this in the 60s...

Feet perpendicular to the direction of the target, arms equal, is called isosceles. This is the current thinking.

Prior to Weaver, the preferred stance was quite varied, but much was made of facing 90 degrees to the target (fully bladed) with the shooting arm straight out, to present as little target to he opponent as possible.

Regardless of stance, grip is important. The video was good, and essentially what I was taught in training.

High on the frame with the strong hand, firm, but not so tight as to lose fine motor control of your trigger finger. The placement of your support hand becomes the issue. I put the heel of my support hand in the gap left by my strong hand, wrap my support fingers around my strong fingers, and just leave my thumb parallel and forward of my strong thumb.

Basically, just what he shows in the video.

If you use your pistol defensively, then shooting strong hand only and support hand only is absolutely necessary. Principles remain the same, high on the frame. Firm. Wrist straight. Good control is more of a challenge with one hand shooting.

Last edited:
36.gif

A variation you can try is how your hand actually grips the pistol. Instead of the common squeeze grip that presses your fingertips into the side of the grip and the grip presses into your palm, try the "vice" grip where you squeeze the front of the grip with the 2nd joint in you fingers and it presses straight back into the base of your thumb.

thanks for the video.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Some fine day try shooting Gangsta style, sideways like on tv. It'll show you how stupid these guys are.

I wonder if it originated from having weak mag spring issues in their $50 SA's...

You know, if you're having feed issues, let gravity help!

My instructor is very high on keeping the strong hand thumb loose bc keeping it tight affects trigger finger action. As a result he (and now me) keep the right hand thumb pointing almost straight up...this way you will be more inclined to keep it loose. Also it allows you to bring the base of the left hand thumb to rotate up closer to the top of the gun.

Honestly there are different positions that work (as mentioned) But..I highly recommend a competant ionstructor who will be able to adjust your grip based on how well you are shooting. Theere are so many things ionvolved that you won't get it right with personal instruction.

My instructor has trained with the "Sheriff of Baghdad"
https://sofrep.com/54861/watch-find-out-how-john-shrek-mcphee-became-the-sheriff-of-baghdad/

Originally Posted By: Astro14

High on the frame with the strong hand, firm, but not so tight as to lose fine motor control of your trigger finger.

You can grip everything as tight as you want.....the key is to keep your dominant thumb loose. My instructor wants me to have this thumb pointing up to insure it is loose. The thing is; having that thumb loose insures you have good trigger control.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Astro14

High on the frame with the strong hand, firm, but not so tight as to lose fine motor control of your trigger finger.

You can grip everything as tight as you want.....the key is to keep your dominant thumb loose. My instructor wants me to have this thumb pointing up to insure it is loose. The thing is; having that thumb loose insures you have good trigger control.

Just keep it away from the slide stop!

One tidbit to add is make sure your supporting hand is at a 45 degree angle when it is opened. This ensures the wrist of the supporting hand is locked and aids in recoil management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back