Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which car would you rather drive when doing a 16 hour road trip?

Nissan Versa
VW Jetta
Chrysler 200

Those are my local Hertz choices...

Jetta, and it's not even close.

They are nice, comfortable cars. Nothing fancy, but solid.

Last edited:
Bora/Vento
cool.gif

Last edited:
I like the 200 and then the Jetta. The Jetta has more of a taut, sporty feel while the 200 will ride softer. If going on a long highway cruise, the 200 would be most comfortable. Avoid the Versa for sure.

It sounds like you're looking at three different classes of car, so you'll get one of those or equivalent. I've rented all 3, I'll take the 200. I did a 4 hour one way trip in a Versa, and it really wasn't that bad.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Jetta...

200 if you can’t get the Jetta.

Stay home if it has to be the Versa.

This. Jetta may get better mileage, too.

The Jetta has a more traditional driving stance in that the windshield isn't raked back crazy and doesn't have a high cowl like the 200 has. I rented a 200 and hated it. I rented a Dodge Charger V6 and liked it 10X better.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I like the 200 and then the Jetta. The Jetta has more of a taut, sporty feel while the 200 will ride softer. If going on a long highway cruise, the 200 would be most comfortable. Avoid the Versa for sure.

Taut can be very tiring on a long drive or bad roads. That is a concern.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It sounds like you're looking at three different classes of car, so you'll get one of those or equivalent. I've rented all 3, I'll take the 200. I did a 4 hour one way trip in a Versa, and it really wasn't that bad.

How are the seats in the 200? Thanks.

I rented a dodge charger for a 4500 mile round trip road trip and it was amazing. Made the trip very enjoyable, especially with the 80+mph speed limits and I averaged 32+ mpg.

That said I would take the Jetta. I dont have experience with the 200 but the versa is not all that great for trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Jetta, and it's not even close.

They are nice, comfortable cars. Nothing fancy, but solid.

+1. No comparison unless he is a smaller person then the 200 isn't bad.

Thanks all.
I always wanted a VW but bailed because of reli issues in the past.
This would give me a chance to ring one out!

No experience with the other two, but I drove a 200 from Salt Lake to Yellowstone and back last summer. It was comfortable and an overall decent car compared to others I've rented. If I had to complain about something, it would be the little shifter dial (instead of a shift lever) and weird transmission behavior.

I didn't drive it like an endurance tester. One of my passengers was actually nervous about the 80 mph speed limit in Idaho.

Thanks!
Hertz lists the Jetta at 28 mpg and less luggage than the 200. They list the 200 at 30 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
No experience with the other two, but I drove a 200 from Salt Lake to Yellowstone and back last summer. It was comfortable and an overall decent car compared to others I've rented. If I had to complain about something, it would be the little shifter dial (instead of a shift lever) and weird transmission behavior.

I didn't drive it like an endurance tester. One of my passengers was actually nervous about the 80 mph speed limit in Idaho.

I had a 200 company car for a short period of time, and I test drove the VW Jetta and Passat. In a city, I would choose the taut Jetta. For a long highway cruise, I choose the softer riding 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back