HDEO in 284k miles Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am from Venezuela and I currently own a 2001 Toyota Corolla with an 7AFE engine. It has almost 284k miles and it´s burning almost 1 qt per 1k miles. We have a very warm climate, the coldest temperature is 65°F and the hottest is 100°F so I´ve been using 20w50 Conventional Oil in it, I know it is not the best viscosity so I´m planning to use 15w40 in my next oil change.

I´m planning to use an HDEO that has an SN Rating which is the one the owners manuals ask for. Here in Venezuela, diesel has a very high sulphur content, I think that is important for the oil properties.

The differences that I see in the website of the brand of oil I use is that the 20w50 Conventional that I use currently has a TBN of 6 and the HDEO 15w40 Conventional has a TBN of 12.

Do you think it will be safe to use this oil? my car has a cat delete so I´m not concerned about that but I don´t know if it will be safe for the oxygen sensor.

Last edited:
What happens if TBN is to high? Can it be bad? I know that starting TBN isn´t the most important thing but is TBN retention over time that is more important but I ask it as a theorical question

Last edited:
TBN shouldnt be any issue for your vehicle. We have a poster on here with Corrolla with miles near you and he runs toyota 0w20 with good results.

Would be perfectly fine!
I have run everything between 10w30 and 20w50 in my car without problems or side effects, and it seems to love the 15w40 HDEO diesel oil in it now, bearing in mind both our engines have the same viscosity recommendations at least in Aus.
You could run any of those viscosities in your climate, your summer is probably similar to where I am but winters can get below freezing here and the 20w50 made for some slow winter cranks...

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
TBN shouldnt be any issue for your vehicle. We have a poster on here with Corrolla with miles near you and he runs toyota 0w20 with good results.

Wow, that is interesting, I would guess it would blow up.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Would be perfectly fine!
I have run everything between 10w30 and 20w50 in my car without problems or side effects, and it seems to love the 15w40 HDEO diesel oil in it now, bearing in mind both our engines have the same viscosity recommendations at least in Aus.
You could run any of those viscosities in your climate, your summer is probably similar to where I am but winters can get below freezing here and the 20w50 made for some slow winter cranks...

The viscosity recomendation of the owner´s manual is very ambiguous in my car. It says that I can use anything from 5w30 to 20w50 depending of the temperatures. In the climate that I live that means I can use anything from 10w30 to 20w50.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I would run 10w-30. Thick enough to do the job, saves a bit of fuel compared to the thicker grades.

Seriously 10w-30 will be ok

Couldn´t the oil consumption go extremely higher if I use that viscosity?

I would run 10w-30. Thick enough to do the job, saves a bit of fuel compared to the thicker grades.

Seriously 10w-30 will be ok

By the way here in Venezuela gasoline is almost free, 100 gal cost 0.3$

Last edited:
So enjoy a bit more power compared to the 20w-50.

Try it. If you don't like it you can always change it.

I think both you and your car will like it.

Yes it could increase consumption, but depending on the cause it could reduce it. If it does burn it faster then you can just top off with a thicker oil

Last edited:

Yes it could increase consumption, but depending on the cause it could reduce it. If it does burn it faster then you can just top off with a thicker oil

I'd just run the cheapest oil you can get for it, as long as consumption doesn't go up drastically.

Here's a 2006 Yaris UAO on HD engine oil...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4450017/Re:_Penrite_Diesel_FX_-_Toyota#Post4450017

You have an engine that uses more oil than gas and you're losing sleep over its oxygen sensor?
wink.gif

Catalysts shouldn't be deleted for obvious pollution reasons.

This said, I had the same problem in my Corolla and ran 15W-40 for many years. Corollas like thinner oils (less sluggish) but run the cheapest thick oil because of your consumption as others said.

Here is the remedy. Unfortunately Photobucket has recently stopped the third-party hosting of images for free accounts:

Wonders of valve-stem oil seal replacement

They don't leak, they consume oil from stuck piston rings. The fix is new rings with drilled out oil drain back holes or repeated piston soaks.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
They don't leak, they consume oil from stuck piston rings. The fix is new rings with drilled out oil drain back holes or repeated piston soaks.

What product do you recommend for the soak?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
You have an engine that uses more oil than gas and you're losing sleep over its oxygen sensor?
wink.gif

This said, I had the same problem in my Corolla and ran 15W-40 for many years. Corollas like thinner oils (less sluggish) but run the cheapest thick oil because of your consumption as others said.

Here is the remedy. Unfortunately Photobucket has recently stopped the third-party hosting of images for free accounts:

The engine was overhauled at 255k miles (30k miles ago) with new STD pistons, rings, bearings, gasket and seals. It also had an overheating at 275k miles so all the gasket and seals for the head were changed. I don´t think valve stem seals are the issue, it might be the cylinders that have a egg shape (I doubt it) or the valve guides that are very worn and valve stem seals aren´t enough to stop the consumption. It could also be bad quality of the oil, or that the engine is running very rich, because I doesn´t have a thermostat neither.

I know removing the cat is bad, but remember that we have the highest inflation of the world.

Last edited:
I doesn´t leaks where I park it but I read an article of "Widman" and now I´m gonna look for small leaks in the engine, I do drive it mildly hard, it sees 3.5-4k RPM three or four times a week (never when it´s cold). Also does alot of 6 miles-20 minutes drives because I live very close to my work, but at least 4 times a week I drive it 30 miles in the highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Emanuel
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
wink.gif

The engine was overhauled at 255k miles (30k miles ago) with new STD pistons, rings, bearings, gasket and seals. It also had an overheating at 275k miles so all the gasket and seals for the head were changed. I don´t think valve stem seals are the issue, it might be the cylinders that have a egg shape (I doubt it) or the valve guides that are very worn and valve stem seals aren´t enough to stop the consumption. It could also be bad quality of the oil, or that the engine is running very rich, because I doesn´t have a thermostat neither.

I know removing the cat is bad, but remember that we have the highest inflation of the world.

What do you mean you don't have a thermostat? No wonder you are having so many issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back