A/C takes a while to cool down....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG, I have a quick question for you. The Jetta in my sig often sits directly in the sun so it gets pretty toasty, I notice after starting the car that the A/C takes a while to start blowing cold air. Typically it takes 30 seconds or so before you feel cold air coming from the vents, before that its hot/warm air. My Accord on the other hand starts blowing cold air almost immediately. I know the Jetta has one of those variable compressors, does that have something to do with it?

Should have bought another Honda. That long without cool AC is not tolerable in the south. I would have to install a remote start if it didn't have one to pre cool the cabin.

I use windshield shades for all my vehicles. Made by covershield. Helps a lot with tint. My truck takes a while too but it gets there. I don't know about modern German cars, but the old ones struggled in Texas, even when new.

I'm pretty sure the compressor in my Malibu is a variable Compressor. Takes about 20-30 seconds to get cool air to come out. My car also sits in the direct sunlight all day at work. Once it starts blowing it usally drops between 40-45°F coming out the vents with the ac set on eco.

Last edited:
30 seconds???? Remember, all the vents/ductwork are all super hot too. Use a windshield sunscreen, crack windows a tad. Open all windows fully when starting out to get all the hot air out that you can. Use recirculate to get heat out of interior pieces. Have you changed the cabin air filter??? Have the freon level checked?
11.gif

There are too many variables here to give you a good answer.

The color of the paint, the type of glass, the fan mechanism -- these all factor into whether or not the AC works as well.

For example: If the Honda has a stronger blower motor, larger ducting, and electric cooling fans that run at max speed then it'll do a better job at evacuating heat from inside the cabin.

30 seconds and you are complaining?

I suspect that the car is still under warranty?
You may want to bring it to the stealership and let them check it, if you are not satisfied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Should have bought another Honda. That long without cool AC is not tolerable in the south. I would have to install a remote start if it didn't have one to pre cool the cabin.

OMG. You might know by know I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer before moving on to becoming a UPS semi mechanic.
People bought a new 6th gen Civic new when I was there and we got complaints for the lousy AC it had. The condenser on those old Civics are
barley any bigger than a paper towel.

The best AC in a late model vehicle I've experienced was in a Buick Regal. I'd put it up against anything.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

OMG. You might know by know I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer before moving on to becoming a UPS semi mechanic.
People bought a new 6th gen Civic new when I was there and we got complaints for the lousy AC it had. The condenser on those old Civics are
barley any bigger than a paper towel.

The best AC in a late model vehicle I've experienced was in a Buick Regal. I'd put it up against anything.

I think for any given class of vehicle, the American car in the bunch will have the best AC. We're rather spoiled here in the US when it comes to air conditioning and we like it ice cold ASAP. lol.

Thanks for the responses guys, it's most noticeable whenever the car sits out in the direct sun. We always use a sunshade to keep it as cool as possible and keep the interior in good shape. I just thought it was odd since my Honda also sits in the sun daily yet as soon as I start it up cool air starts coming out almost immediately. It may just have to do with the variable compressor on the VW.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
30 seconds???? Remember, all the vents/ductwork are all super hot too. Use a windshield sunscreen, crack windows a tad. Open all windows fully when starting out to get all the hot air out that you can. Use recirculate to get heat out of interior pieces. Have you changed the cabin air filter??? Have the freon level checked?
11.gif

An excellent post of real suggestions.

It might not be engaging soon enough.

My aunt had a 2013 Beetle and sometimes the A/C wouldn't kick on for 10 minutes or so, even in 115 degree heat. It would almost have lava coming out of the vents then turn cool. Sometimes it would kick on after a minute, or 5 minutes, always random, or some days it was fine. Actually sometimes it wouldn't work at all. Once the dealer replaced the compressor it was fine for 6 months. Then the issue came back. Never did solve that problem.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I added some refrigerant with the bottle from Walmart.

I believe you need to have the high and low side pressures checked and not just the gauges on those bottles.

I have had three separate cases with A5 Jetta/Golf vehicles where the refrigerant control valve has been corroded and caused lazy A/C performance. It's a cheap and easy replacement item. Evacuate system, replace valve, recharge system.

Our 08 VWs AC was much the same.

An acquaintance's mkV golf in Germany doesn't even have AC.

I wouldn't call my HAH's AC "domestic worthy"...

bad move.
too much and it will bounce off of the high limit just like it does the low limit when it is low on refrigerant.
same result.poor performance.
r-134 systems can be sensitive to an ounce or 2 either way.
its not something to guess at.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I added some refrigerant with the bottle from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back