10k on conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 chevy classic w/t 4.3 v6 going on 195k miles. I always did 10k oil changes. My oil monitor would usually goes off at 11k miles.
I always used a syn or semi in it. I just picked up 10/30 chevron supreme conventional and plan on going 10k miles. I do not see a reason why this should not work. It uses about a quart in 10k miles. Would you?

You could. I wouldn't since I almost always go for full synthetics to keep the ringlands clearer.
If doing highway miles mostly, or at least 7 or more miles at a time, you'll be fine doing 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, on that conventional.
Sounds like you are basically following the OLM which is a great thing to do. It will predict OK.
A "Chevy Classic"? I've heard of the Malibu Classic, yet they didn't put the 4.3L V6 in that. Is that a pickup truck?
Edit: They did have a Chevy Classic Silverado in 2007, must be it.

Last edited:
If it meets your cars specification you're good to go, if not, I'd pass. Just not worth saving a few cents and possibly having increased wear.

Although I personally wouldn't have the courage to go that long on conventional oil without uoa, it would probably be fine.

Chevron oils are really good.

10k?! The oil minder on my work truck (a 2006 chevy 2500) doesn't even get past 3 or 4k before going off.

Lots of highway driving and no towing?

Originally Posted By: passgas55
I have a 2007 chevy classic w/t 4.3 v6 going on 195k miles. I always did 10k oil changes. My oil monitor would usually goes off at 11k miles.
I always used a syn or semi in it. I just picked up 10/30 chevron supreme conventional and plan on going 10k miles. I do not see a reason why this should not work. It uses about a quart in 10k miles. Would you?

What oil filter are you planning to use? 10k on Dino is feasible (depending on the engine's notoriety of cleanliness or not) if you use a good oil filter. But I wouldn't do it with a standard tier filter. I'd recommend a synthetic oil filter, like Wix XP, Fram Ultra, STP XL, M1, RP, or Puro Boss. I definitely wouldn't run a standard AC Delco to 10k, regardless of the type of oil.

If you're OK with the viscosity doubling by 10k then by all means go for it. Note that viscosity doesn't increase linearly, it increases exponentially with use... picture a relatively linear sloping line with a steep ramp up at the end.

Last edited:
It is a chevy truck. I do a lot of hwy miles and I do not tow. I drive easy. I went 160k before I needed a brake job.
Any way I think the oil monitor should be cal to dino. I never knew the 4.3 was a sludge monster.

The OLM assumes dino, so you can do it with no problems. However, I'd still rather use a synthetic, or at least a dexos-rated syn blend! For OLM cars, I like to use the cheapest syn on sale, which is usually Napa Synthetic (often goes on sale for $3-4/qt)

10 years ago, the current spec was SM. Any modern SN oil will be better than what was available at the time, so you will be fine no matter what, since like I said the OLM assumes SM conventional.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

What oil filter are you planning to use? 10k on Dino is feasible (depending on the engine's notoriety of cleanliness or not) if you use a good oil filter. But I wouldn't do it with a standard tier filter. I'd recommend a synthetic oil filter, like Wix XP, Fram Ultra, STP XL, M1, RP, or Puro Boss. I definitely wouldn't run a standard AC Delco to 10k, regardless of the type of oil.

I have been using the delco filters. The 52 which is a little longer than the 47. (I think I got my numbers right) Any way I did cut one open and it look okay after 10k miles. I average about 6 months per 10k miles.

If you used the same exact oil but used their 5w30 flavor instead you would get semi synthetic
with no extra cost. I have used PYB 5w20 for 8k runs and it did great in a 2L engine.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

I have been using the delco filters. The 52 which is a little longer than the 47. (I think I got my numbers right) Any way I did cut one open and it look okay after 10k miles. I average about 6 months per 10k miles.

You know AC Delco makes a synthetic version of the PF52?

Here: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ACD6/UPF52.oap

I know many folks have gone with long OCI's using standard filters like MC and ACD, etc... But I just couldn't sleep at night going 10k on a standard filter.

I think that 10,000 mile or 1 year change intervals are acceptable with Chevron Supreme conventional motor oil. I base this recomendation on the following factors:
1- Your oil life monitor was programmed for conventional motor oil and is reliable from all reports that I have heard.
2- Your engine is in good shape and properly maintained.
3- Chevron Supreme is a high quality conventional motor oil using Group 2 base oil and has good specifications on PQIA and meets SAE "SN" specs.
4- Use oil filters that are advertised for extended change intervals (like Wix or Fram Ultra). These normally have synthetic or semi-synthetic media which is more durable than the straight cellulose typically used in economy filters. Change the filter with the oil.
5- As mentioned above, this recommendation only applies to long trip driving, but your oil life monitor should account for driving conditions.
6- I have followed this schedule while commuting long distances and observing all the above factors with clean engines for up to 250,000 miles. Your conditions and vehicle are different than mine, so keep an eye on your dipstick (Dip Stick Oil Analysis) and work up to that interval in steps or have an oil analysis if you want confirmation.

I'd wager a bet that you'll be just fine, given the good points made so far. Chevron 10W30 is no Gr 1/City Star tier grade oil, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back