5.3l 3011 yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.3 former rental, bought with 95 k, changed oil at 100k. Yukon has 105k now with either 5w20 or 30 m1 15k synthetic. 4k into this change added a quart before short road trip of 300miles. Now 5k into oci I added another 2/3 qt before \ during an 800 mile trip. Is oil usage normal in this engine, its dry underneath. Does it have anything to do with the 4 cyl cut out?
Olm is at 17 % at 5550m , I will do a uoa at 6k when I get home . it has a m1 oil filter as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 9050lx
How in the [censored] did GM screw one of the best engines ever made?

They haven't. From the above referenced link-

GM’s Displacement On Demand (DOD) system (also called Active Fuel Management) has many millions of miles of proven, reliable service.

I have owned two of these motors. NO ISSUES.
However-there were some early ones ('07) that did have issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NStuart
I will definately delete soon, it runs like [censored] in v4

This device will do it- (the device on the right on the home page)

https://rangetechnology.com/

Last edited:
I took a different view on this AFM/DOD stuff that GM devised. I avoided it. I purchased a 2015 2500 with an L96 that didn't have this stuff on it. I am an old Army Cavalry Sergeant. I hold that everyone must pack the gear. No slackers. I didn't want an engine that incorporated government inspired / union inspired rest breaks for some cylinders while the others toted the load. I pay for 8 cylinders and I expect them to all work equally. I suppose GM can make the claim that there are millions of miles on these AFM engines without any problem, and not questioning that, but a casual trek thru many GM related forums doesn't paint a glossy picture of AFM engine reliability. I decided to not be a guinea pig for this stuff.

Replacing a bad lifter on a 2012 Silverado with the 5.3l next week. The TSB covered models until 2013 and a couple 2014 Cadillac models.

I would not even consider a 20 - maybe a 10w30 HM or go right to Delo or Delvac on the 5.3L - mine runs great on HDEO and did not think T6 would be worth the extra cost ...
(In Texas 15w40 dino is fine)

Last edited:
Good post TT - what I find ironic is my 5.3L in a small truck seemed like a logical place to run AFM - but I am fortunate the LH9 has VVT, aluminum block(iron sleeves), aluminum heads - and no AFM ...
In fact, the last thing I had burn oil was a 17 year old Dodge PowerWagon ...

Last edited:

Easy, but adding cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. Flame suit on. If I buy a vehicle equipped with a V8, I want a V8 running on 8 cylinders all the time. If I bought one and was forced into 4 cylinders cutting out because of a fuel economy gain the company is forced to hit, I'd disable the system the minute I drove off the dealership lot, and see to it that it remains that way for the extended life of the vehicle.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Easy, but adding cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. Flame suit on. If I buy a vehicle equipped with a V8, I want a V8 running on 8 cylinders all the time. If I bought one and was forced into 4 cylinders cutting out because of a fuel economy gain the company is forced to hit, I'd disable the system the minute I drove off the dealership lot, and see to it that it remains that way for the extended life of the vehicle.
27.gif

My son has a 2017 GMC Denali with this cyl cut out system and he is using 0-20 that the dealer puts in. So far so good, but how do you delete this system if need be?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

My son has a 2017 GMC Denali with this cyl cut out system and he is using 0-20 that the dealer puts in. So far so good, but how do you delete this system if need be?

Not sure on a 2017, but for the slightly older models they sell a kit to delete cylinder deactivation on the 5.3L engines. They might have something for the newer engines, he should look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back