Oil for junkyard big turbo LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be starting a new project soon. It'll be your typical junkyard 5.3ls truck motor + ls1 intake + turbo cam + Pac 1218 springs + eBay 76mm turbo. Don't know what car it'll be in yet. Maybe an s10. Won't see much track time. Just going to be for hurting feelings on the highway.

What oil would you all use?

HDEO is always my first pick, Castrol a3b4 second. In winter (a real winter) the other way around.

If you plan on doing what most people do which is just abuse it till it pops and replace with another junkyard 5.3 I'm not sure the oil matters much. If I was doing the same build I would also upgrade the oil pump to a melling select in either a standard volume high pressure or high volume high pressure. Most who do junkyard turbo swaps also upgrade the rod bolts.

Personally I'd run a 15w40 conventional diesel oil. Which one? Whatever I could get the cheapest.

If you're trying to keep it on the cheap, run a synthetic CJ-4 HDEO or M1 15W-50. I'd stay away from non synthetic oils to keep the turbo from gumming up.

Many here recommend Rotella 5w40 or other HDEOs across the board... So I looked up prices at WalMart... My question is - does Rotella really clean so good that it is worth the 15% price increase over Mobil 1 products? The Delo 5w40 is considered by many as the cheap alternative to Rotella (I do not agree there), but it still comes out more expensive than Mobil 1 products! Here are the current prices at WalMart:
-Rotella 5w40 $5.34/qt (21.36 per gallon)
-Mobil 1 15w50/0w40 $4.58/qt (22.88 per 1.25 gallons)
-Castrol 0w40 $4.59/qt (22.97 per 1.25 gallons)
-Delo 5w40 $4.99/qt (19.97 per gallon)
-Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 $6.71/qt (26.83 per gallon)

Here is my take on it - use Mobil 1 15w50 in above freezing temperatures, and use 0w40 below freezing. Best price and an oil that is actually meant for gasoline engines, whatever that means. And many UOAs here show great performance from these oils. Your 5.3 will not complain. Just stay on a synthetic diet to minimize the long term damage to the turbo.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Going to be starting a new project soon. It'll be your typical junkyard 5.3ls truck motor + ls1 intake + turbo cam + Pac 1218 springs + eBay 76mm turbo.

Mind my asking why you are using the LS1 intake? Packaging/height issues? I thought the recent truck intakes out flowed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back