Volvo coolant question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just picked up a 2007 V70 base and the coolant is a transparent, pale green.
I'm guessing that the original blue Volvo coolant (G-48?) was partially emptied and replaced with pale yellow G-05.
I know from this board that G-05 is a suitable substitute.
A sample didn't freeze in my freezer.

I'm seeking "votes" on what ONE COOLANT to go with.

CONFUSION: A guy told me Volvo has gone to a "green coolant for everything". Anybody know if that is true?
I have a gallon of Beck & Arnley replacement blue concentrate ($ in the bank, so to speak) and can easily get G-05 (available in perpetuity for maintenance).
I must go to Volvo to verify this "new green coolant".

I'd drain the system completely with several flush and fills using water and then use the B&A concentrate. Use distilled water for the last 1 or 2 F&F's.

The total capacity is only eight liters. A complete change takes only a gallon of OE blue-green. That's what I've used. Then it's never an issue - I know it's OE and so does everyone else.

A gallon costs $20 at the dealer. So, how much are you saving by going with something else? $5? So, for $5, you've got a bunch of work and future confusion on what's in there...stick with the Volvo coolant...

Sorry for the HUGE delay (17 months) in answering. I'm usually on any thread I start.

I simply have a sealed gallon of Beck & Arnley so I mentioned it.

I do want to go with genuine Volvo. ....just makes sense and is completely uncomplicated.

Just for giggles I'd love to see how fast G-48 can be routed to my NAPA store (they're good).

Thanks for responding.

I've seen a couple posts on Volvo forums dated fairly recently (past couple years) of people saying their Volvo dealer started using green and were told it's the same or basically the same usual Volvo stuff. Will be interesting to hear what your dealer says about it.

I'd be very thorough in finding out exactly what the Beck Arnley kind is before using it.
Otherwise, you pretty much would use the old old green kind that has a 2-year life, (but why bother doing that), Volvo stuff, Pentosin, or Zerex G-05 as you already mentioned. I'd lean towards G-05 since it's a decent price on sale and is the easiest to get if for some reason I needed to top up later.

I was in your same schools almost 3 years ago when I did the S60's coolant change. Full strength Volvo coolant is $20ish a gallon from FCP as I am sure you know.

While locally sourcing stuff is nice, it's sometimes just not worth the hassle. With me at least, NAPA wants about the same money for their G48 too.

On a side note, how does one do a thorough flush with these? I just do several drain and fills from the radiator. Wouldn't mind doing a citric flush eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back