Turned off unnecesary XP services,now can't change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned off a few of the unnecessary XP services that i read about in a few sites and now I can't change them back at all. I right click and the menu comes up but if I click properties,nothing happens. If I try to start, I get error 1068. Now what?

Please upgrade! Windows XP is 16 Years old. It is the operating system that stayed way to long at the party. XP is no longer supported or patched by Microsoft and is an infection waiting to happen.

Last edited:
MS still updates XP. Some software and many industrial systems still use XP and will for another 20 years. I just loaded Hyundai GDS system onto an XP laptop and there were MS updates downloaded and installed.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
MS still updates XP. Some software and many industrial systems still use XP and will for another 20 years. I just loaded Hyundai GDS system onto an XP laptop and there were MS updates downloaded and installed.

Microsoft has dropped official support for Windows XP except for in rare cases like Wanna Crypt. The software is mainly legacy by this point and only a handful of companies still support XP due to them still having stable software on the operating system for now. The software will start to break with time as that is when they start to drop it.

The vast majority of businesses that still use XP do not use it because it's the best option but the only option they currently have for software they paid for and is no not support and/or stable on newer versions yet.

They also invest a lot of money into these networks and to drop the OS over night is not an option. They will need new software and to slowly phase out existing machines. Businesses spend a lot of time making sure their platform is stable. Many business are months behind on security updates because they have to validate every changes will not harm the system or their software solutions.

Any future exploits may very well never get a patch so the possibilities are endless. I and many other suspect a large part of these botnets that are capable of taking 1/3 of the world offline are in fact thanks to Windows XP.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Are you on the Internet using Windows XP?
Yes, I just reformatted this comp for my 11 y.o. son for Roblox. If it gets a virus or hacked,no big deal. so old that Avast doesn't load on here? This is the comp that I'm using to write this. My comp is fully protected. So, any guess as to why I can't change service settings? Not even help and support comes out. I have tried changing any service option and it does not allow me. It is not gray,as some on Google have stated.

There was a hack a couple years ago you could do to keep in the updates going. They just issued a patch for the last big virus scare this spring. And I just had some automatic updates installed while the long winded Hyundai GDS install was going on. Had to restart the computer three or four times to get them all.

please quit giving out bad information.

I'm still on XP!
wink.gif

yeah, i read that earlier. it's for the POS systems still in use. You do a registry hack and you get updates. Anyways, anyone know why I can't do the service changes any more?

It might be easier for you to reinstall XP if you can't get the service started.

Nod32 still supports XP. That's what I'm running now.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
yeah, i read that earlier. it's for the POS systems still in use. You do a registry hack and you get updates. Anyways, anyone know why I can't do the service changes any more?
What specific services are you wanting to re enable. Is scvhost.exe running in task manager?

MS stopped free updates.

They could still do non-free updates, particularly for those whom they have contracts with.

I left a TV station whose air servers still run XP. And yeah we got hacked and knocked off the air, it was wonderful.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
MS stopped free updates.

They could still do non-free updates, particularly for those whom they have contracts with.

I left a TV station whose air servers still run XP. And yeah we got hacked and knocked off the air, it was wonderful.
Booting the XP laptop up today for this thread and MS applied another hot fix. You can't pick them or reject, it's all push.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I turned off a few of the unnecessary XP services that i read about in a few sites and now I can't change them back at all. I right click and the menu comes up but if I click properties,nothing happens. If I try to start, I get error 1068. Now what?

Still looking into this for you but read the page in the link below and follow its instructions. Pretty straight forward and a simple fix. Appears to solve your issue. Please let me know if this does nothing or solves the problem.

Restore All Windows Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back