Driving all thread into the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Say 4'?

Need to have some threads in the ground, and shear is more the concern than pulling out. I have a rotary hammer with sds plus connector, and have seen some ground rod hammer adaptors for that.

Is it doable? What would my concerns be? Id use threaded rod of 1/2 or 5/8" size, and could grind a point into the end of it if that somehow helps. I could also cut the hammered section (leave it a little long) and chase the threads.

The other option might be to drive a ground rod and then use a die to cut threads.

Thoughts/recommendations?

No. Nothing to do with electrical grounding at all. A ground rod is just an option to get a piece of metal intended for driving in the ground.

I thought this was going to be about trolls killing valid discussion threads on the forum . . .

It's going to corrode and deteriorate over time obviously, but should be fine for a long time provided you can get where you need it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I thought this was going to be about trolls killing valid discussion threads on the forum . . .

I thought it was going to be about threads that have lasted way past their useful life.

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
How hard is the ground and how deep do you have to drive the rod in?

We have sandy-organic mix. Drains well.

Im thinking 4-ish feet down. Shouldn't hit water table until we go 10 feet based upon where water sits in the sump hole in my basement.

It will pull out rather easy if it's under a load. I've used 3/8" x 4' before and removed it every fall for a greenhouse. If left to rust up it then holds very well.

You could slip the top foot with some PCV pipe to help with lateral pull.

So you drive it with a hammer? 3/8 is a good deal smaller than the 1/2 I'm considering.

Longevity is less of a concern than feasibility.

Since it's shear you are worried about and not tension I'd think about using a GND rod, and then adding the clamps that are used to attach solid core wire. They have threads for a screw on them, although you could perhaps tap the clamp or building something from those. Use multiple clamps if necessary.

I think you can get 4 foot rods also.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So you drive it with a hammer? 3/8 is a good deal smaller than the 1/2 I'm considering.

Yes I put a nut on top and pound it in. Usually very easy when the soil is wet. I've used a hammer drill before with dryer soil. And put a point on the end of the all thread.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

We use T post fence pounders to install 8 ft.electric fence ground rods. For 3/8", maybe put a pvc pipe sleeve over it to reduce side bending and just cut off the pvc one ft. at a time as you proceed.
Post-Pounder-tips-6.jpg

I just used a post driver like that to put a 8' x 1/2" ground rod in a couple weeks ago. The soil was not really wet and I had to use a #3 hammer to finish it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Since it's shear you are worried about and not tension I'd think about using a GND rod, and then adding the clamps that are used to attach solid core wire. They have threads for a screw on them, although you could perhaps tap the clamp or building something from those. Use multiple clamps if necessary.

I think you can get 4 foot rods also.

A ground rod was my first thought.

I may only need 3/8" threads now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back