Sears put in the wrong filter?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a '94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a utility bed. It's had a lot done to it - new engine and transmission (with receipts), new injectors (w/receipts), and some other stuff. The guy I got it from also got the radiator "flushed" and the oil changed at Sears Auto Center right before I took possession, just to be nice. Oil pressure seemed low to me, and I wondered if maybe they put 5w-20 in it, so I changed the oil with less than 1000 miles on it. Ordered a couple of Hastings filters from Rock Auto. When I got underneath the truck, I thought, "That's weird. There's a long skinny filter on there, and I have a short fat one to replace it with."

Filter that came off was a Purolator TL20195, and Purolator says it should be a 14670. I'm assuming no harm done, since they both have the same thread and the same gasket size, and the relief valve setting is about the same. Still, I'd rather have the correct one.

I'd pick Firestone over Sears to have my vehicle serviced and I wouldn't let Firestone work on my wheelbarrow.
frown.gif

The 20195 is the better sized filter with more media from what I've seen. It's the cross to the Fram 3600 and the 14670 is a PH16 iirc.

If you want the biggest that would be a Fram XG8A sized which is more than double the holding capacity and media of both

Mobil,
The filter for the gas 5.9/8.0 will not even screw on and the gaskets are not even close. If they hammered the smaller filter on the ol' 12 valve, it would dump 3 gallons of oil in a matter of minutes. OP is talking gas 5.9 Or 8.0.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How's the oil pressure now?

Better at idle, which is what I was concerned about. It's the factory gauge, I should get an aftermarket gauge.

5.9 gas, I wish it was the V-10.

Sears would be the last place I would take a car in for service. A company hanging on life support, employees wondering how long their jobs will be around would equate to someone not caring too much about doing a good job.

Last edited:
Wow - the last time I used Sears auto was about 2007. I did go into a shocker of a (fair sized) Sears store a couple weeks ago. It was not the usual empty shelf store - I bought some nice Kenmore Elite appliances for a condo we just bought. Sales staff was very knowledgeable ...
(Not to say it would be my first choice for auto needs) ...
On the filter threads - just had a brand new Fram XG10575 that would engage threads. (Correct filter, QAQC problem)

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Sears would be the last place I would take a car in for service. A company hanging on life support, employees wondering how long their jobs will be around would equate to someone not caring too much about doing a good job.

That pretty much sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back