Rotella T5 10W-30 in Mercedes OM606?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's going to run just fine, but I decided to run some T5 10W-30 in the '98 Mercedes turbodiesel that I picked up recently. Why not T6? Because I got ~10 2.5 gallon jugs of the T5 for $15.

I'll do a couple UOA's for curiosity's sake, but I'm sure it will be fine. Curious to hear opinions though.

A 98 Merc diesel won't be too picky... Both the T5 and T6 will be high HTHS and there is a minimal viscosity difference actually between the 5w40 and 10w30 at 100C. You should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
A 98 Merc diesel won't be too picky... Both the T5 and T6 will be high HTHS and there is a minimal viscosity difference actually between the 5w40 and 10w30 at 100C. You should be good to go.

The OP lives in Auburn, GA.

I don't understand why a 10W-30 would be equal to a 5W-40 in these ambient temperatures and given the vehicle has a 19-year old engine.

I have diesels and I would never consider running a 10W-30 where I live and it does not get as hot as Auburn, GA in the day or the night
shocked.gif

In GA temperatures I would be more inclined to run a 15W-40 or 15W-50.

Can you explain your reasoning for a 10W-30 to me?

BTW, what is the typical oil temp for a '98 Mercedes in Auburn, GA ? Is it 100*C ?

Thanks

Well, I won't be doing a UOA on this cycle since I just got it, god knows what was in it before that, and I still have a little maintenance to do, like glow plugs, fuel lines and will be running a can of Diesel Purge thru it. So I'll probably cut this OCI shor tat 3-4k miles, but after that I'll do a UOA at 5k and see where we stand.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Well, I won't be doing a UOA on this cycle since I just got it, god knows what was in it before that, and I still have a little maintenance to do, like glow plugs, fuel lines and will be running a can of Diesel Purge thru it. So I'll probably cut this OCI shor tat 3-4k miles, but after that I'll do a UOA at 5k and see where we stand.

You'll be fine... the 10w30 is at 12 cSt @ 100C and the 5w40 is 14 cSt @ 100C. I suspect the UOA will look quite good.

You'll be fine... the 10w30 is at 12 cSt @ 100C and the 5w40 is 14 cSt @ 100C. I suspect the UOA will look quite good.

So do I. Just curious what kind of hissy fit people will throw
laugh.gif

3K UOA of a Rotella product...I suspect he will be fine too
grin.gif
however, I have read that the cSt of t5 10W-30 is 10.0 at 100*C.

Even if it is as high as you say I still have the following questions:

Wouldn't there be greater issues with shearing on a turbo-diesel if he ran a typical OCI of 5K-10K miles? (I may be wrong but I think M-B recs 10K-mile OCI on this engine?)
Wouldn't it better to compare cSt of the two products...T5 10W-30 and T6 5W-40 under these conditions of higher miles?
Are the shear stability of the two oils similar?

Isn't the recommended oil a M1 0W-40 ?

Thanks

Last edited:

laugh.gif

I am pretty new here on BITOG but I have been a lurker for many years.
It used to be a great place to learn about engine lubricants from decent guys who were experts and who were respectful.

I certainly hope you are not the future type of member here on BITOG...only looking to troll and to start conflict.

What a strange motivation you have.

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100*C

T6 5W-40 ............... 14.9 http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/9b43c4f8-b8c4-4833-b0c5-9c9bce5cde92.pdf

T5 10W-30...............12.0 http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/d4a4e69a-e6c8-403d-8c62-463e596005a1.pdf

T5 10W-30 ULTRA...10.0 http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/8a93dba2-e296-45e6-a19d-8baf0e709362.pdf

MB-Approval 229.5 recommendation:

M1 0W-40................12.9 https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-FS-0W-40

FlyingA,

I always like to support my posts with facts that others can verify.

It does look like the T5 is closer in viscosity to the recommendation than T6; however, if I lived in the hot south I would most likely use a 15W-40.

T5 15W-40.............14.9 http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/154da269-8730-417e-9fff-db87a73d86c2.pdf

Last edited:
In this or any other application, HTHS is probably of more significance than KV.
Both of these oils have HTHS of at least 3.5, so either should work well.
Neither oil is blessed with low NOACK if that matters.
I suspect that the OP is pretty well informed. IIRC, he built himself that 2.8 liter ti, so he does have some skills and knowledge.

I just re-read the original Troller post and if I just found a deal like that of 25 gallons of T5 for $15 then I would say it is the very best motor oil to run for that application.

laugh.gif

You should have merely verified a Daimler chart.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Isn't the recommended oil a M1 0W-40 ?

Considering the 10w-30 HDEO and the M1 0w-40 have almost the same HTHS, what's the problem? There are 0w-30 and 5w-30 approved MB lubes, too.

OK.....

Since I got banned for a week for 'trolling'...... I should clear up some things.

It used to be a great place to learn about engine lubricants from decent guys who were experts and who were respectful.

I certainly hope you are not the future type of member here on BITOG...only looking to troll and to start conflict.

Where did I decide to troll and 'start conflict'? I made a post. This place is ultra sensitive, so I made the assumption that somebodys feathers would get ruffled by running un-rated oil. Never in my life did I expect somebody to be so butthurt about it that I'd be called a 'troll' and BANNED for a post asking for honest opinions.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In this or any other application, HTHS is probably of more significance than KV.
I suspect that the OP is pretty well informed. IIRC, he built himself that 2.8 liter ti, so he does have some skills and knowledge.

Thanks. I had the same suspicion as well honestly. But as I said in a previous post, I'll do a UOA eventually (again - not on the initial fill, because god knows what was in it and how it was treated before it got into my hands), so that data would be mostly useless anyways.

And yes, my Ti has been relegated to mostly autox/drift beater these days.

XWgsV2...8W=w959-h638-no

I just re-read the original Troller post and if I just found a deal like that of 25 gallons of T5 for $15 then I would say it is the very best motor oil to run for that application.

The deal, to be more specific (I may not have been clear enough the first time I typed this) was the Autozone 2.5gal jug for $15/each. I bought 12 of them.

Last edited:
OK.....

Since I got banned for a week for 'trolling'...... I should clear up some things.

Where did I decide to troll and 'start conflict'? I made a post. This place is ultra sensitive, so I made the assumption that somebodys feathers would get ruffled by running un-rated oil. Never in my life did I expect somebody to be so butthurt about it that I'd be called a 'troll' and BANNED for a post asking for honest opinions.

Thanks. I had the same suspicion as well honestly. But as I said in a previous post, I'll do a UOA eventually (again - not on the initial fill, because god knows what was in it and how it was treated before it got into my hands), so that data would be mostly useless anyways.

XWgsV2...8W=w959-h638-no

The deal, to be more specific (I may not have been clear enough the first time I typed this) was the Autozone 2.5gal jug for $15/each. I bought 12 of them.

Wait, you got banned here from posts on this thread? If that is the case then I am not sure how much longer I want to stay around this forum. The mods here 12 years old or something?

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
OK.....

XWgsV2...8W=w959-h638-no

Wait, you got banned here from posts on this thread? If that is the case then I am not sure how much longer I want to stay around this forum. The mods here 12 years old or something?

Yup. 1 week ban for reason of 'trolling'. And a quote from the thread where I said 'So do I. Just curious what kind of hissy fit people will throw'. Unbelievable.

Well I am not sure which mod did that but it might be worth contacting one of the other admins on the issue, forums like this try not to let people abuse their forum powers. I would also like to note that most of the posts I have seen by ArticDriver is basically calling people trolls for no apparent reason.

As for the topic, the deal you got on the T5 is awesome, if I didnt have such a large oil stash already I would have picked some up. I would think it would work great in your MB turbo diesel.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Well I am not sure which mod did that but it might be worth contacting one of the other admins on the issue, forums like this try not to let people abuse their forum powers. I would also like to note that most of the posts I have seen by ArticDriver is basically calling people trolls for no apparent reason.

As for the topic, the deal you got on the T5 is awesome, if I didnt have such a large oil stash already I would have picked some up. I would think it would work great in your MB turbo diesel.

I looked at the members list and just picked the first admin I saw thats posted recently (wwillson) Turns out - He's the one who'd banned me!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back