New vehicle- change ff within 1k or go full OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously a topic that has been debated a number of times, not looking to rehash old arguments but to poll users here. If there were a "poll" option attached to starting a thread would have used that.

With a new vehicle do you change the oil within 1k or go the full length of the OCI?

Thanks, Matt.

I'd go full length, only because I don't think there is a significant difference between both school of thoughts in regards to the longevity of the vehicle.

I went 5k miles on BMW oil, did a Blackstone UOA on it, and it looked like car was fresh filled at 20k miles.

Good FF oil, and almost no iron.

Even on other cars that tend to have more metal, I'd still run car at least to 5k, since FF has lots of Moly, and car is wearing in not wearing out.

Can't have any dirt in it yet either.

My standard will be 10k miles on Mobil 1 0w40 or maybe some other 0w40 if I thought it was better.

For me, depends on the car. Honda I go full OCI on the FF, BMW, I changed at 4000 km.

Would have done the BMW sooner but was on a Euro Delivery.

Last edited:
I was always a believer in early drains of the FF, but when we bought our '12 Accord I ran it to 15% MM, which turned out to be around 8.7K. I did this only because Honda strongly recommended it.
Would something have gone amiss had I done an early drain using a high moly oil as the service fill?
Probably not.
Would the life of the engine have benefited in any measurable way had I done an early drain?
Probably not.
Do whatever makes you comfortable secure in the knowledge that the cost of an early drain is as nothing in the greater scheme of things.

There's a reason they recommend so many miles on the factory fill. I would do the whole recommended OCI and then I would do an OCI based on what's gonna keep my warranty.

Change oil and filter early the first time. I have seen, what appeared to be small pieces of metal, come out of a new engine. 33 years ago.

I'd check what the user manual says first and suggest following it. Some do recommend an early (like half normal OCI) oil/filter replacement.

Change within 1k. And look for a high-moly oil like Mazda 0w20 if possible, for the new fill, ... otherwise put in half a can of LiquiMoly MOS2 on your fresh oil change with low-moly oil. Low moly oil is any oil with < 80 ppm moly. Maybe Kendall with Ti+moly is the exception and can work as is.

depends on what the mfr says to do
smile.gif

Honda specifically says to leave it in for the full OCI suggested by the MM, while other companies want you to change it early.

Recommended OCI is 10,000 miles for my new Camry. I changed it at 5000 miles the first two times. Then about 8000 miles after that.

In the long run, it's probably not going to make any difference what you do as long as you change the oil on a regular basis throughout the engine's life.

There is a huge discrepancy in owners manuals, In Germany and other Euro countries 1K (600mi) is still recommended for many vehicles, there are a number of reasons for this in the US non of which have anything to do with whats best for the engine. I change it at 500-600 miles.

I always change the oil before 1000 miles more because the car probably had a bunch of start ups and probably test drives plus sat with the oil in it for over 6 months so moisture was probably evident.
That said, I have had a bunch of new company trucks that didn't get their first oil change till 5000 miles and I ran well over 120,000 before getting another new one and it didn't use any oil between changes. So it probably doesn't matter, it's just "It makes me feel better" thing.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Change oil and filter early the first time. I have seen, what appeared to be small pieces of metal, come out of a new engine. 33 years ago.

Surface engineering of today, is as 'bad' as 33 years ago ?

With a brand new car I would dump the oil at zero miles and refill with a proper break-in oil from Amsoil or Driven and then drive it through some mountain roads.

"We now encourage all owners to change their oil at 500 miles to remove possible contaminants created during the engine break-in process." - Monte Doran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back