check for level vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
hope everyone has safe & fun 4th of july
smile.gif

anyhow was wondering about checking the vehicle is fairly level when checking trany fluid when doing a ford 5r55s trany. sure many know you have to do underneath. just did a fluid filter change last weekend and just measured from the ground up to running boards, front & rear each side, while it was up on ramps. was pretty close but was wondering is there a better way to check to make sure vehicle level either on a flat surface or up on ramps?

TIA

I do transmission work, gear oil changes, and transfer case fluid changes on level ground on 4 ramps, all the same size, so it's level to begin with. If I'm working and need the vehicle level because it was jacked, and on stands I have a little bubble level which I place on a flat level surface on the vehicle and check with that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I do transmission work, gear oil changes, and transfer case fluid changes on level ground on 4 ramps, all the same size, so it's level to begin with. If I'm working and need the vehicle level because it was jacked, and on stands I have a little bubble level which I place on a flat level surface on the vehicle and check with that.

I was thinking about using a small bubble level maybe on the floor behind the front seats might try that next time.

I pretty much eye balled it last time and it was pretty close, even after I measured it, just like to make sure when checking the trany fluid she's close to level as possible. These ford's 5r55s tranys can be real finicky about fluid level.

Originally Posted By: mickalo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I was thinking about using a small bubble level maybe on the floor behind the front seats might try that next time.

I pretty much eye balled it last time and it was pretty close, even after I measured it, just like to make sure when checking the trany fluid she's close to level as possible. These ford's 5r55s tranys can be real finicky about fluid level.

Eyeballing works, sometimes I tend to over do it. You're in good company!

I've found the engine is level. I use the coil cover and a bubble level on my 4 cylinders.

i found Summit Racing makes a dipstick conversion kit for these tranys but runs about $310 not quite in my budget range
wink.gif

Last edited:
I am fortunate to have a very level pad to park my vehicle on if I am concerned about needing this for a fluid check. I used a 6 foot carpenter level to check the area. But if taken to the OCD level, which part do you measure level. The engine/transmission might sit cattywompus compared to the other parts of the vehicle. With tires sitting on level ground, the springs might have the body/frame sitting unlevel. Just observations. Gut enuf is fine by me.

I would think that some imaginative use of an inexpensive string level would get you in the ball park, if needed. Either use it on your parking surface/ramps (see link) or find areas on your rocker panel pinch welds to measure vehicle level on both length and width.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/42-general-tech/145052-where-measure-unibody.html
DSC03652.jpg
string-level-SMALLER-300x224.jpg

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Eyeball.

We call that the "accu-precise eyeball-o-meter"

banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back