2001 Chevy 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
company truck, which I've posted about before, with the 5.3 Vortec and 192k hard miles. We have been hauling dirt to build up the protection levees out of a high fence that holds exotic animals. (The owner of the animals has tons of dirt and lets the company I work for have it for free). My job for the past 2 months and most likely for the next 2 months, is to sit at the opening of the gate to make sure no animals escape while they haul dirt out. I drive 10 miles to the jobsite from the shop, then sit there and idle from 7am to 5pm with the AC on. It's extremely boring. Anyway I was wondering what would be the best oci and oil and filter to run in these conditions. I'm currently running Napa 10W30 blue bottle and a Napa Gold filter. It has an OLM but I've been changing it every 2k miles due to the extensive idling and some days I do pull a trailer with around 4,000 lbs. It runs hot every day unless I pop the hood and keep it open, once the hood is open its fine all day idling. Its been running fine otherwise since I've changed the intake gaskets and knock sensors. Should I do anything different in regards to oil and filter and oci?

Id probably do the same as what you're doing. How is the AC at idle like that? You might want to get an electric fan to keep the pressures down.

You can run the oil longer. Ford gives an hour of idle equals 30 miles of driving. If popping the hood keeps it cooler then that's what I would keep doing.

Check your coolant levels and quality. If it's degraded change it. A slightly lower temp thermostat could be useful. Pressure wash the radiator coils, that will help. Use some commercial coil cleaner if you're feeling motivated. If any of the coils are linked use a coil comb and open them back up. Check the fan clutch, make sure it is engaging properly.

The oil and filter are less important than the cooling system for your usage right now. If you want to avoid changing oil frequently pick up some m1 ESP in 5 or 10w 30 and run it to 15k equivalent

Last edited:
It's a solid truck they can run well on virtually anything. Had the exact same truck and beyond a yearly distributor cap never had a problem with it.

The thing would not stop throwing codes but even then it ran very well. Original transmission went out at 330k miles (had it repaired since the thing still drove strong) head gasket went out at 380k and felt it was time to part ways.

Drove it up to the front yard (country area trucks are always in demand and a massive scrap/part junk yard 5 miles away). Not even two hours later I sold it for $550 (they knew about the gasket).

I have a good friend who bought on when he use to live up north and he had 520k miles truck ran great but the rust got to it bad.

I would personally go with a synthetic oil (Pennzoil, Mobil One, Castrol, Valvoline). With the tendency to run hot with the hood down the oil will last longer.

But today isnt bad. Sitting at the high fence as we speak in a 2016 Ram 2500 Hemi with dark tint, a radio that works great and cold AC. Happy 4th yall!

10w-30 sounds great for the Louisiana heat. I grew up nearby in south Mississippi, and my father put 10w-30 in everything year round. Synthetic might be a bit better in the heat.

If it were mine i would do the Rotella 5w40 and an AC Delco filter and change it every 200 hours or 200 gallons of fuel.

Company truck? And you're only going to work there for 2 more months? I'd let them figure out the oil changes and not even touch it.

Put M1 or PP 10w-30 and run it to 10k equivalent. 300 hours would be about 9k miles.

M1 EP 5w-30 is good for 15k. 400 hours idling gets you 12k with 3k to drive. You should be able to finish out this job on one oci. I would use a Fram ultra filter.

If you can please UOA. I'm very curious to see how oil is affected by that much idling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back