torque wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Snap On torque wrenches which I use at home. I have a barn by my grandmothers house 20 miles away where I do oil changes, small repairs etc. Im looking to buy a set of torque wrenches to keep there. Looking to buy a 1/4 in dr (40-200 in lbs) 3/8 dr (5-75 ft lbs) and 1/2 (50-250 ft lbs). Ive looked at Husky and considered them but theyre made in China. I'm skeptical on the accuracy. I dont mind buying used, I can always send them to Angle Repair if need be. What do yall recommend?

Last edited:
How accurate do you need them to be? Are you doing cylinder heads or usually just lug nuts and drain plugs?

Harbor freight is 25% off today with coupon. Used it to put my 4cyl head back on, axel nuts on the GP and wheel torque. Perfect for home use. Mine was $9.95 years ago for 1/2 inch clicker. Checked it with a shops Snap On tool on my axel nuts a few weeks ago at 118 ft lbs after changing hubs and it was right on.

The HF torque wrenches are OK. But if you want an affordable torque wrench, the Tekton ones are significantly nicer for not a lot more money. They are made in Taiwan. They look similar to the HF wrenches, but they're better made and there are some differences.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Harbor freight is 25% off today with coupon. Used it to put my 4cyl head back on, axel nuts on the GP and wheel torque. Perfect for home use. Mine was $9.95 years ago for 1/2 inch clicker. Checked it with a shops Snap On tool on my axel nuts a few weeks ago at 118 ft lbs after changing hubs and it was right on.

HERE'S the database of HF coupons. There's one there for $9.99 torque wrenches, any size.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The HF torque wrenches are OK. But if you want an affordable torque wrench, the Tekton ones are significantly nicer for not a lot more money. They are made in Taiwan. They look similar to the HF wrenches, but they're better made and there are some differences.

I agree on the Tekton, but I just bought a mid-level, Taiwan made Capri Tools 1/4" clicker from Amazon and I love it!

1/4" Capri Torque Wrench

It has the diamond rubber grip and a nice metal retracting locking ring which is very intuitive to use.

In fact, I'm going to order a Capri Tools 1/2" model today to replace my trusty, but well worn, 1/2" Craftsman torque wrench (circa 1995).

1/2" Capri Tools Torque Wrench

I have considered the Kobalt ones, though being Taiwan made Angle Repair wont service or calibrate them. They only take in US made wrenches

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Ill pass on the HF wrenches. Bought some a few years ago they went in the garbage after one use

Can you elaborate. I have one and am wondering if I unwittingly am doing harm.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Ill pass on the HF wrenches. Bought some a few years ago they went in the garbage after one use

Can you elaborate. I have one and am wondering if I unwittingly am doing harm.

I have a few and for the money I found them to be pretty good. For jobs like torquing down lug nuts, the filter cap on my Pentastar engine, or scope mounts they've been very good, and accurate. Would I build a race car engine with one? No. But for what I use them for they've been very good, and save wear and tear on my more expensive torque wrenches.

For crying out loud why didn't you take them back and get your money back, after all they are guranteed!

I'mnot made of money and do that with defective buys, from anywhere I purchase!!!!!!!!

Cause it wasnt worth driving two hours to get back 20 bucks. Im surely not made of money either, I've been surrounded by people with large amounts of money my whole life who are so cheap I swore to never be like that. I live comfortably, and if I buy something and dont like it and the money isnt worth returning it, I toss it.

Cause it wasnt worth driving two hours to get back 20 bucks. Im surely not made of money either, I've been surrounded by people with large amounts of money my whole life who are so cheap I swore to never be like that. I live comfortably, and if I buy something and dont like it and the money isnt worth returning it, I toss it or give it away.

Last edited:
I have considered the Kobalt ones, though being Taiwan made Angle Repair wont service or calibrate them. They only take in US made wrenches

That changes the whole thing, you need a higher priced better quality wrench. I strongly suggest you buy split beam, they hold calibration much longer, don't need to set to zero after use so you can leave the one used for wheels set all the time only changing it as needed. These are good value for USA made wrenches. Shop for best price these are the models. They dont have a 1/4 split beam.
Quite honestly if the company wont calibrate anything but US made wrenches I would find another place to do business with, I have Hazet and Stahlwille stuff so they wouldn't calibrate them either and they are two of the very best. I certainly wouldn't avoid buying them because some company wont calibrate them.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC3FR250F-Silver-Torque/dp/B002XMSFIM

http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-instr...CFRxMDQodGycN9Q

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instrum...nch+made+in+usa

Last edited:
My HF wrenches work just fine, although in over 50 years of changing oil, I never torqued a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back