Pick an oil for a new to me Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a 2011 Dodge Durango AWD with 109k miles on the clock. There are so many oil options and drain intervals that I could pick that I'm having trouble picking. I'm leaning towards Valvoline Synpower Max Life 0w-20. I would definitely like to stick with a high mileage oil but what are the community thoughts?

Although I'm a big fan of Valvoline oils especially their SynPower lineup (moms Lexus currently has Valvoline SynPower with MaxLife technology in it in 0w20) I thought the Hemi specified 5w20? I know they're both Xw20 oils but the 5w20 usually carries with it a slightly higher HTHS viscosity. I would use VSP w/MLT or without with confidence in the correct weight. Napa Gold / Wix filter or a Fram Ultra for the oil filter,

I actually live Valvoline as a company. I feel they make great products at a decent price but a lot of people here don't seem to consider them a tier one company (along the lines of Pennzoil, Mobile One, Castrol (to an extent) and many of the more exotic oils options such as Redline, Amsoil, etc.

The don't seem to get much love here beyond their Max Life line (if the vehicle in question calls for it).

Honestly think their love for sodium plays a big role in it (high sodium being a sign of coolant leak).

I have a 2012 Ram 5.7L Hemi, I used to live in the Great Lakes area.

My experience is a 0W-20 is preferred in the colder months as well as a base end bypass oil filter - the Mopar Mo-899 is what I settled on. I had some horrible screeching in ambient temp below 10°F with PPPP 5W-20 & a Mobil 1 M1-210 oil filter. Switching to 0W-20 PPPP & Mopar MO-899 oil filter resulted in no such issues the next winter. The previous combination allowed emulsion and / or ice to accumulate at the dome end of the oil filter, and a dome end bypass allowed this stuff a straight shot to the engine when cold starting the engine after sitting in low ambient temoeratures.

I'm currently running 0W-20 PPPP & MO-899 in San Antonio summer heat and it's working just fine. The oil & filter only had 2K miles on it when spring rolled around so I'm letting it go 1 year until Sep. this time.

I normally run 5W-20 in the warmer 6 months of the year along with a dome end bypass higher efficiency oil filter though the MO-899 is no slouch with 94% efficiency at 20 microns according to the Amsoil chart.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Does it have MDS (cylinder deactivation)? You'll have to use a Xw-20 oil if you don't want a check engine light.

I don't think it has MDS but it might. I traded in my Mitsubishi Mirage in on it so I don't have anything to pull. Ibwould like to borrow my stepdad bass boat but it's only about 1400lbs with the trailer so it shouldn't be worked hard. I would like to take it to Minnesota in December.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the feedback on filters as well.

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and am using syntec 5-20. Works great and now have 193k on it. purrs like a kitten

I have a 2004 1500 with the 5.7 and I run Valvoline Sypower w/ML and it does very well on it.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Does it have MDS (cylinder deactivation)? You'll have to use a Xw-20 oil if you don't want a check engine light.

I don't think it has MDS but it might. I traded in my Mitsubishi Mirage in on it so I don't have anything to pull. Ibwould like to borrow my stepdad bass boat but it's only about 1400lbs with the trailer so it shouldn't be worked hard. I would like to take it to Minnesota in December.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the feedback on filters as well.

If it has MDS don't listen to anyone telling you to run anything besides a 0w/5w-20. You will get a check engine light so be sure to make sure your car is equipped with one. If not, you have some more freedom.

I'd run M1 EP 0w-20 in it or if that's not available, the AFE 0w-20. I ran the latter in my wife's 5.7 Charger.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
Chryslers are terrible vehicles. Make.sure to change the oil every 3k as insurance.
Is this guy for real? Troll troll troll your boat. OP I'd run the Synpower with Maxlife no problem, atleast 5k probably just follow the olm.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
Chryslers are terrible vehicles. Make.sure to change the oil every 3k as insurance.

How about backing up any of your statements sir? Give us some info that we are missing, so we could gain the knowledge that you have there.

I think the whole 20wt oil thing is a myth. My 07 ram has mds and I've been using 5w30 Mobil 1 high mileage for the past year. no check engine light and mds still functions the same. Plus Mobil 1 HM is one of the thickest 5w30 synthetics I've seen

If the 2011 Durango OLM is like my 2012 Ram OLM I wouldn't use it. I didn't buy my vehicle for a OLM anyway and have some experience in changing oil & filters before I bought my current truck.

My son used M1 5-30 in his
Originally Posted By: 07hemi
I think the whole 20wt oil thing is a myth. My 07 ram has mds and I've been using 5w30 Mobil 1 high mileage for the past year. no check engine light and mds still functions the same. Plus Mobil 1 HM is one of the thickest 5w30 synthetics I've seen

How can you tell if your MDs is performing as advertised with 5-30? Just askin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back