Good alternative to FL820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lurking on the forum for a few weeks and decided to join the discussion.

I've been using Motorcraft oil and filters in my Fords pretty religiously, only deviating to ST full synthetic and a CQ/Wix a few times. Now I see from the past discussion that Purolator OEM's the MC filters and Tearolator is bad. I'm guessing the 820S has the same quality issues that the regular Purolators do even though it's made to a Ford spec.

So what is a good alternative? I just changed the oil today in my E250 and I'm using a Wix and full synthetic, and going with a 7500 OCI or 1 year. I've been told Wix is really good but now I see they've been bought by M+H too.

To add: I saved the 820 I removed and will cut it apart and show pictures at some point. Still have to get a fancy filter cutter. It only has 3K on it, not because I go with 3K intervals but that's all the mileage I put on it with MC semisynthetic and a 6 month interval.

Last edited:
I just cut my first FL820S open and it was torn twice but the OCI was pretty long so that may have had something to do with it. I would use Wix or Fram Ultra. I am currently using a Wix XP on my truck. Wont be cut open for another year but I don't intend to see any rips or tears.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I would use Wix or Fram Ultra.

I'm surprised to see that Fram has become a respectable filter now, but will keep them in mind from now on.

In the case of Purolator, I thought a German parent company was supposed to be an improvement?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Peter_480

I'm surprised to see that Fram has become a respectable filter now, but will keep them in mind from now on.

In the case of Purolator, I thought a German parent company was supposed to be an improvement?
confused.gif

Well it's the Fram Ultra that's considered a very respectable filter. It's their top of the line filter. There's still plenty of hate for their lower end lines. Sorta like how Chevy has some cheap cars and also the Corvette.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

confused.gif

Well it's the Fram Ultra that's considered a very respectable filter. It's their top of the line filter. There's still plenty of hate for their lower end lines. Sorta like how Chevy has some cheap cars and also the Corvette.

To be honest I would use a Fram Orange over a Puro. I think many on this forum probably feel the same way. To date, I don't remember seeing a torn Fram, but I had one of my own FL820S filters tear.
Even this poor Fram orange held together:

So what is a good alternative? I just changed the oil today in my E250 and I'm using a Wix and full synthetic, and going with a 7500 OCI or 1 year.

SuperTech are made by Wix.

I don't run the FL-820 size filter, I run the FL-500 size the Coyote Mustangs use. I put 15,000 miles on a Tough Guard TG10575 with no issues at all. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4426839/

If you want to keep most of the FL-820S charachteristics there's the Mopar MO-899 I run in my Ram - main differences are a nitrile ADBV and fewer flutes on the can dome. To my knowledge these and the FL-820S are the only filters for these applications with base end bypass vave and seperate ADBV (no combo valve), but both are manufactured by Purolator.

If you sacrifice base end bypass, another good alternative is the now discontinued Carquest Blue 84899. These are either made by Wix and identical to the Wix 57899 and Napa Gold 7899, or more recent production was made by Fram and equivalent to a Fram Tough Guard TG2 except the CQ has metal end caps. Shelf price is $6.49 at either CQ or AAP but can be dropped significantly with on-line discount codes for BOPUS (buy on-line pick up in store). These were discontinued when Purolator got the CQ oil filter business so you can buy these with confidence of not getting a Purolator.

If you want top efficiency and don't mind dome end bypass the Fram Ultra XG2 or installer equivalent Fram Pro Synthetic FPS2 is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultra has the best filter for the money hands down.

And you can save a few bucks buying virtually the same filter by going with the Fram Pro Synthetic filter, usually available on eBay in cases of six for less than $36.

I actually had an Affinia/Wix made CQ Blue give me ADBV trouble on my 4.6-an Ultra XG2 fixed my noisy startup problem. My 4.6 seems to be the pickiest engine ever for start up knocks & rattles. I've been buying Ultras off eBay too-but every batch of 6 I've bought seems to have one or two dented ones, and boxes that look horrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

So what is a good alternative? I just changed the oil today in my E250 and I'm using a Wix and full synthetic, and going with a 7500 OCI or 1 year.

SuperTech are made by Wix.

I see that, but aren't they the value line of Wix aka Pro-Select, Microguard and other house brands? Would they be safe running a 7500 OCI?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I actually had an Affinia/Wix made CQ Blue give me ADBV trouble on my 4.6-an Ultra XG2 fixed my noisy startup problem. My 4.6 seems to be the pickiest engine ever for start up knocks & rattles. I've been buying Ultras off eBay too-but every batch of 6 I've bought seems to have one or two dented ones, and boxes that look horrible.

You're not kidding, my 4.6 should be called The Knocker. I've been running MC filters on it since I bought it when it was under a year old, but those days are over now. I'll see if the knocking continues with the Wix.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
If you want to keep most of the FL-820S charachteristics there's the Mopar MO-899 I run in my Ram - main differences are a nitrile ADBV and fewer flutes on the can dome. To my knowledge these and the FL-820S are the only filters for these applications with base end bypass vave and seperate ADBV (no combo valve), but both are manufactured by Purolator.

If you sacrifice base end bypass, another good alternative is the now discontinued Carquest Blue 84899. These are either made by Wix and identical to the Wix 57899 and Napa Gold 7899, or more recent production was made by Fram and equivalent to a Fram Tough Guard TG2 except the CQ has metal end caps. Shelf price is $6.49 at either CQ or AAP but can be dropped significantly with on-line discount codes for BOPUS (buy on-line pick up in store). These were discontinued when Purolator got the CQ oil filter business so you can buy these with confidence of not getting a Purolator.

If you want top efficiency and don't mind dome end bypass the Fram Ultra XG2 or installer equivalent Fram Pro Synthetic FPS2 is the way to go.

Thanks, I think I'm going to toss the D+ I picked up with bad louvers and use an Ultra next time. Readily available at Walmart which is where I go for oil and filters 80% of the time anyway.

The WIX 51372 is a very well made filter. I have used several on a Ford Ranger 4L V6 without issue.

I have not run too many but the Fram PH2 and Fram TG2 did not cause issues either.

From your report, I think you would want a silicon ADBV. The nitrile rubber valves get stiff with time and temperature so lose their functionality rather quickly.

All of the Tough Guard TG2 are on clearance at walmart for $4.50 right now.
There were 18 (3 rows of 6) on the shelf.

I'm going to wait until they come down a little more.

I have had good luck with the ST2 on my 5.4, quieted the startup tick that it has always had with the Fram made CQ red (but am also using a different oil, so may be that).
I am only using them for 5000 miles or so, not sure if I would run the ST2 to 7500 miles.

The standard Wix (or equal NAPA Gold) is a fine choice and would use with no problems at all.
There have been no signs that the M+H "takeover" has changed the quality of Wix filters.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
All of the Tough Guard TG2 are on clearance at walmart for $4.50 right now.
There were 18 (3 rows of 6) on the shelf.

I'm going to wait until they come down a little more.

I was going to mention this as well. $4.50 is a good price to buy a few at.
I don't need any filters at this time for my vehicles, but if the TG drop to the $3 range, I may grab a few for other family members I do an occasional change on.
Too bad WM is getting rid of them, they are a great sleeper filter. It was going to be the filter I use on my sisters SUV since she tends to go over on her changes.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The WIX 51372 is a very well made filter. I have used several on a Ford Ranger 4L V6 without issue.

I have not run too many but the Fram PH2 and Fram TG2 did not cause issues either.

From your report, I think you would want a silicon ADBV. The nitrile rubber valves get stiff with time and temperature so lose their functionality rather quickly.

Which ADBV does the 51372 have? That's the filter I used.

Check on RockAuto-

Fram Pro FP2 filter - $1.80 each

EcoGard X4651 filter - $2.06 each

Bosch Premium 3410 filter - $4.48 each

.. or just spend the extra money and buy a Fram Ultra at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back