ACEA A5/B5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must first apologize if this is a stupid question or if it had been discussed before.
A oil that pass this standard (ACEA A5/B5).
Is it a good oil?

Would this oil be good for a turbo charged vehicle?

Yes, A5/B5 is good oil, but what kind of turbocharged vehicle is it?

In the Caribbean, where temperatures are higher, perhaps A3/B4 might be better, though. A3/B4 corresponds to the thicker oils (some heavier 30's, and most 40's), while A5/B5 corresponds to thinner oils (most 30's)

Another reason im considering and having questions about this oil, is that i can obtain it cheap. :_)
Its a fully synthetic oil too.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Its a 5w40 oil.

impossible for a 5w40 to be A5/B5 (that spec requires HTHS under 3.5)

The applicable standard is A3/B4

Thats what the website says......and im not too educated on the various certifications except the normal API SM/SN etc.

Technically it's possible to be both ACEA A3/B4 and A5/B5 at the same time if HTHSV = 3.5 cP exactly because of a loophole in the ACEA definition.

Is this GDI? What's the recommended oil?

The HTHS of 3.5 is on the thin side for a 5w40, it should be > 3.5 mPA.s otherwise it would be considered a "fuel efficiency" type formulation, hence the A5/B5 designation like the OP stated.

An A3/B4 or a C3 oil would be a better recommendation if oil consumption were a concern.

Last edited:
Its a 5w40 oil.

In reference to what slacktide_bitog mentioned, it seems unlikely it would be A5/B5. It may technically be possible, but it's a fine line. A5/B5 can have an HTHS of 3.5 or lower. A 10w-40 must have an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. So, there's a fine line to walk there. It cannot be below 3.5 and remain a 10w-40 by SAE J300, and cannot go above 3.5 and be A5/B5.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Its a 5w40 oil.

In reference to what slacktide_bitog mentioned, it seems unlikely it would be A5/B5. It may technically be possible, but it's a fine line. A5/B5 can have an HTHS of 3.5 or lower. A 10w-40 must have an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. So, there's a fine line to walk there. It cannot be below 3.5 and remain a 10w-40 by SAE J300, and cannot go above 3.5 and be A5/B5.

Exactly, which makes me nervous. How does it pass the stay-in-grade shear stability test without using up some KV100 and HTHS headroom that it never had to begin with ?

I don't trust a A5/B5 5W40, it can only exist on the borders of reality, who would formulate to a line when most formulate to be clearly in a well defined area for a grade.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Its a 5w40 oil.

impossible for a 5w40 to be A5/B5 (that spec requires HTHS under 3.5)

Exactly this. It is practically impossible to have an oil which is precisely 3.5 cP HTHS, which is the only theoretical way of having a 5W-40 A5/B5. Furthermore it is vanishingly unlikely that a 5W-40, even on the 3.5 cP knife-edge, will pass the fuel economy engine test requirements of A5/B5.

Their wording suggests that the oil meets some performance requirements of ACEA A5/B5, but I doubt very much they are signed up to the EELQMS Letter of Conformance which is required if you want to make ACEA claims.

On the container it states its ILSAC GF-5. Also it also says that it passed ACEA A5/B5. Now im thinking if this oil is cheap for a reason :-(

So according to what you all say, this oil will be quick to shear down to a 5w30?

No. M1 0W-40 has HTHSV = 3.6 cP for example.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Exactly this. It is practically impossible to have an oil which is precisely 3.5 cP HTHS, which is the only theoretical way of having a 5W-40 A5/B5. Furthermore it is vanishingly unlikely that a 5W-40, even on the 3.5 cP knife-edge, will pass the fuel economy engine test requirements of A5/B5.

As Dr. Strangelove said, "It is not only possible; it is essential."
wink.gif

It's not precisely by the way, only between 3.45 cP and 3.54 cP.

*ACEA A5/B5: 5W-40 is the preferred SAE Grade for ACEA A5/B5.

http://www.wolfshead.com/100--synthetic-5w-40-quart.html

Guess i will go ahead and use the oil, if there is consumption issues i will stop using it.
As currently the car that im going to use it in, has 20w50 now.

On the container it states its ILSAC GF-5. Also it also says that it passed ACEA A5/B5. Now im thinking if this oil is cheap for a reason :-(

GF-5 with that HTHS isn't very likely, either.

Gokhan: 5w-40 is not the preferred A5/B5 grade. Find that anywhere in the ACEA sequences. Or, find me a bunch of 5w-40 A5/B5 examples from the majors, even. Wolf's Head scattergun approach to a data sheet isn't a source, either.

Last edited:
Would any of you all recommend using this oil in my car? (Even though the certification is not correct)
The current fill is valvoline 20w50.
High RPM EVERYDAY, but engine in perfect mechanical order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back