How long should I stay the course with GTX HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2nd OCI of Castrol GTX 10w30 HM. 1993 S10 2.8L just shy of 203,000. Truck has had a slow rear main seal leak for a while. Can't really tell it has slowed the dripping down much at all compared to non HM oil. I just changed out the valve cover gaskets two weeks ago. Trying to avoid RMS. Will leave a drip or two overnight if driven. I was thinking of giving Maxlife or Pennzoil HM a try if GTX HM didn't slow down/stop the dripping. Not sure how long I should stay the course. Truck isn't driven a lot so we are looking at two-three OCI a year. I used to run Pennzoil/Quaker State in it 90k-160k before I sold it off to a guy. I just bought the truck back and the old farmer told me he was running Rotella in it up 198k. I switched it over to Castrol GTX HM at 200k to see if it helped clean/condition seals. It worked well for my 04 Focus Zetec that had some consumption issues but no leaks. Long time lurker on here.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I've personally had the best luck with Valvoline MaxLife in the red jug, it's helped with slow leaks like that before, other times it made no difference, in the vehicles that it made no difference nothing short of mechanical intervention helped. It's worth a shot as I can't see putting that much work into an older 200k S-10.

The RMS on my Suburban wept when I first got it. GTX HM did the trick on the first fill. When I switched to MaxLife it got worse. By there's no harm in trying MaxLife if GTX isn't working for you.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
On my 2nd OCI of Castrol GTX 10w30 HM. 1993 S10 2.8L just shy of 203,000. Truck has had a slow rear main seal leak for a while. Can't really tell it has slowed the dripping down much at all compared to non HM oil. I just changed out the valve cover gaskets two weeks ago. Trying to avoid RMS. Will leave a drip or two overnight if driven. I was thinking of giving Maxlife or Pennzoil HM a try if GTX HM didn't slow down/stop the dripping. Not sure how long I should stay the course. Truck isn't driven a lot so we are looking at two-three OCI a year. I used to run Pennzoil/Quaker State in it 90k-160k before I sold it off to a guy. I just bought the truck back and the old farmer told me he was running Rotella in it up 198k. I switched it over to Castrol GTX HM at 200k to see if it helped clean/condition seals. It worked well for my 04 Focus Zetec that had some consumption issues but no leaks. Long time lurker on here.

Try M1 HM 10w-30

It's a great oil and a very thick 30. Done a great job in my fusion

That's good oil, if I was going to switch due to trying to stop a leak I'd go PHM first. JMO.

I'd just stick w the GTX HM at this point. You have to add a lot of oil for a RMS repair to be worth it IMO. If you're doing enough top offs, just extend your OCI - you're constantly adding fresh oil.

Almost 1000 miles into this oil change. Checked and it is still full of oil. Seems to be a modest improvement from first OCI and the previous OCI with Rotella. Hoping for continued improvement even though I still see some drips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back