2017 Jayco 26XD 6.8L V10, Factory Fill, 2435mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new family toy, 2017 model year motorhome built on 2016 E450 chassis and sporting the trusty 6.8L V10. Only 2435mi on the factory fill. Chassis production date is 03/16 so oil was already over a year old. Changed it because warranty.

I was expecting the elevated wear metals due to the new engine still breaking in. My curiosity was with the viscosity. I know the history of the V10 first being spec'd for 5w30, then they said 5w20 I think in 2003 IIRC?

This engine says 5w30 on the oil fill cap. The chassis manual says 5w20 OR 5w30 is acceptable "as long as it meets Ford spec."

Interesting that the cap says 5w30 because it looks like the factory fill was 5w20.

I filled it with Magnatec 5w30 and put on an FL820s MC filter

Code:

Miles on oil 2435

Sample Date 06/04/17

Make Up Oil none

ALUMINUM 9

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 61

COPPER 22

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 81

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 5

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 15

BORON 178

SILICON 73

SODIUM 14

CALCIUM 1951

MAGNESIUM 14

PHOSPHORUS 730

ZINC 783

BARIUM 1

Values Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 49.8 54-63

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.20 8.5-11.3

Flashpoint in °F 410 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

I think the 5w30 in such a large vehicle is a good choice.

I would expect the Copper and Silicon numbers to decrease greatly on the next oil change.
Iron should also drop, but more slowly.

Last edited:
The V10 are nice engines the company I worked for had some of the first engines in the service vans the guys like them. . The company ,located in the San Francisco Bay area ran Delo 400 straight 30 in them.

My father has had several V10's in motor homes over the years great and rugged motors. A master Ford tek told him to run 5w30 in it he used Formula Shell full synthetic.

They are good motors. They can get hot in a van chassis, so I would use a synthetic 5w30. They were, maybe still are detuned because of some issues to stay cool in high heat full throttle situations. Think motor home with towing a car up a 6% grade at or above factory GCWR in 90*, 45 mph at 11,000' floored. That's the life of a Motor home.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
They are good motors. They can get hot in a van chassis, so I would use a synthetic 5w30. They were, maybe still are detuned because of some issues to stay cool in high heat full throttle situations. Think motor home with towing a car up a 6% grade at or above factory GCWR in 90*, 45 mph at 11,000' floored. That's the life of a Motor home.

Indeed these motors have a good reputation, and you're absolutely right about the lifestyle of the motorhome. In our few outings with it so far I've already had several instances of sustained 4k+ rpm for what seemed like several minutes at a time when getting into the steep ascents of the Sierras where we like to go.

This one is equipped with an oil cooler, but regardless, it will never see anything thinner than 5w30 in the sump so long as I own it.

Don't be afraid to hold it on the floor, let it spin and feed it. That motor will run all day with your foot on the floor and it turning 5k rpms. I would get the torque pro app and a dongle to watch trans, and coolant temps. My limit for the trans would be 240* and coolant 235*. The dongle and tp app cost less than $20. It's very cheap insurance. Fyi, Ford gauges are idiot lights...ie worthless. Get real gauges like i said and motor on.

Good for the OP for changing oil early. These chassis are stored in the open until the mfr. is ready to start construction. Then, lots of cold starts, short run times and (at least on Class As) the oil fill tube is removed and relocated.

In other words, plenty of opportunity for contamination. I changed the oil and filter in my V10 powered Newmar at 1114 miles (results posted here https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...l_G#Post4400388). It was time to come out.

Last edited:
What does Ford recommend for motor home duty? Still 5w20?

How difficult is it to change the oil? I assume that you open the doghouse to pour the oil *in*.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What does Ford recommend for motor home duty? Still 5w20?

5W-20 is recommended, with 5W-30 as an alternative.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
How difficult is it to change the oil? I assume that you open the doghouse to pour the oil *in*.

Nope, it's no harder than a pickup. There's a fill tube under hood. The only glitch is that the drain plug is right over the front axle on the F-53s. Not sure about the E-450.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back