Garage door seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one and half car door hits the middle of the garage floor and the outside edges barely touch. I installed a good garage door seal, the one that has an aluminum track and the rubber seal slides in.

Now I am thinking of adding some kind of rubber threshold to the floor where you glue it in place.

Suggestions, comments?

I have a similar issue, where the whole seal just slightly contacts the floor. I'm looking into a thicker seal if it exists. I think driving over a rubber threshold glued to the floor will compress, or distort in a relatively short period of time. Subscribed for other suggestions.

Maybe you can adapt a brush seal to the bottom. I need to add one to the top of a roll-up door I recently installed in a shed. Sizes are 1" to 3" in any length you need.

Brush Seal

Last edited:
a 1 1/2 bay door is pretty wide. Raise the the door and sight along the bottom edge. Is the panel rail sagging under its own weight? Are there any wide joints in the panel? In the middle?

Originally Posted By: andyd
a 1 1/2 bay door is pretty wide. Raise the the door and sight along the bottom edge. Is the panel rail sagging under its own weight? Are there any wide joints in the panel? In the middle?

Yes, you might have to plane the bottom of the door a little to get a better fit. One seal should be enough. Most garage doors leak air along both sides anyway.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: andyd

Yes, you might have to plane the bottom of the door a little to get a better fit. One seal should be enough. Most garage doors leak air along both sides anyway.

Trying to cut down space for a mouse to squeeze through in the Fall.

I think a strip of material added to the bottom of the door then put the seal back on it. Better than a piece on the floor that will get run over by the car.

I need to do this also but my gap is in the middle where the concrete has sunk

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it was done, but my garage door opening isn't a perfect rectangle. The concrete has buckled, but the garage door was actually fitted to match the contour of the concrete. It was that way when I bought it. It's a wooden door, and I don't think that could be done with an aluminum door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back