Direct Injection Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has an IS 350 with direct Injection. I've been reading a little and it seems like there are some things that you should do to help maintain them that are over and above a "normal" engine.. I'm I correct or are there additional maintenance issues we should be following?

My son has a 2008 Cadillac CTS with a 3.6 direct injection engine. 130,000 miles and no maintenance of any kind performed on the fuel system. Runs fine. If your owner's manual suggests some special service then follow that advice but if no maintenance is called for, I would do anything.

I'm currently sitting at 23,200 miles on my 16 Hyundai Accent GDI. I bought it at 11,000 miles. My MPG has gradually got better & better. I've been running black bottle Castrol Edge 5w20, and only burn non-ethanol gasoline at Top-Tier gas stations. Every oil change I've been adding Techron Chevron complete fuel system cleaner. It is probably in my head but it seems around 3500-5000 miles the engine starts to lose some power until next oil change. But it is probably my own paranoia. About to do my first UOA on it and will post.

What Brad said...I tend to change the oil a little earlier than I probably would with a non-GDI vehicle but it's rarely over 6K miles. If you're paranoid or if you'd like peace of mind from shorter drain intervals that might be thought of as preventative maintenance, I'd never do 10K mile OCIs. However, I think that really depends on the application as I'm sure many larger vehicles would soldier it better than mine. GDI isn't one thing with one result so it would probably benefit your son to read or join a Lexus enthusiast board for information.

I'd consider changing the fuel filter(s) either right on schedule or a bit sooner along with using a PEA containing gas additive.

Your son's car has both Direct AND Port injection. In my mother's GS 350 she runs a bottle of Gumout all in one every two months as a maintenance dose in lieu of paying a price premium for Top Tier gas. Nothing outside of top tier gas or an occasional dose of good fuel system cleaner should be necessary.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'd consider changing the fuel filter(s) either right on schedule or a bit sooner along with using a PEA containing gas additive.

A lot of cars don't have fuel filters to change out, especially newer ones with GDI. I have my mom coached to use Shell V-Power, gave her a Shell card that I pay so she has no excuse. She also on her own will go WOT on on-ramps to help blow anything out of the chambers. She has a 14 Fusion with the 2.0L EcoBoost.

I'm confused, most volatile components burn early in the OC, so why change early? I've been on the opposite mind set, anyone care to explain how a less violitie used oil is better than a fresh fill? Do I have the wrong idea?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My son has a 2008 Cadillac CTS with a 3.6 direct injection engine. 130,000 miles and no maintenance of any kind performed on the fuel system. Runs fine. If your owner's manual suggests some special service then follow that advice but if no maintenance is called for, I would do anything.

I've also got an '08 DI CTS with 140k and no issues. I do, at every oil change, spray a can of carb/intake cleaner thru the intake with motor running to soak the valves and do "some possible" cleaning. I figure it can't hurt and only costs $5 for can of cleaner.

My '07 BMW 335 is up to 183,000. But it's on (at least) its second set of injectors, but that's more of a first-year manufacturing issue than anything else. I run either 87 or 91 (Minnesota) octane. Haven't done much special otherwise, beyond the normal BMW stuff.

Top tier gas + quality synthetic motor oil + occasional fast drive at high RPM-s.

I think DI engine problems are exaggerated.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Top tier gas + quality synthetic motor oil + occasional fast drive at high RPM-s.

I think DI engine problems are exaggerated.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'm confused, most volatile components burn early in the OC, so why change early? I've been on the opposite mind set, anyone care to explain how a less violitie used oil is better than a fresh fill? Do I have the wrong idea?

I think a part of the problem is with the smaller turbo DI engines getting a lot of fuel dilution in the oil.
I don't have one so I have not really looked into it, but seems I have read that is an issue (or maybe I have the wrong idea???).

Non turbo, like my 3.2l Audi engine is known to have issues as well. I opened it up at 185k miles. It had a layer of gunk but was not bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back