Message to computer geeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at an extended care facility today and there was a young man berating his elderly mother about her lack of skill using the Internet.

Her answer: Son, just remember I'm the one that potty trained you. The know it all son looked up to see a half dozen or so nurses, a doctor and a few visitors trying not to laugh.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Apparently the computer didn't teach him any manners or respect for his elders.

Agree.

A lot of geeks seem to think they have mad skills.
They don't.
PCs are so easy to use as is the 'net for anything one might want.
Real skills, like those involved in actually repairing something or in understanding how it works are something else.
This is the difference between "software engineers" and real engineers.
My ninety year old mother monitors her bank and brokerage accounts online and pays her bills that way as well.
She is someone who learned to type on an Underwood and who learned PC use with something like Word Perfect.
These things aren't at all hard to use, as evidenced by the many users we have here.
Boy should get back on his meds and get a real job.

Should I take this message to heart? Does this apply to me?

As someone who most would consider a "computer geek" but one who was raised under the guiding hands of strict, loving, supporting parents;seems most of these types of issues are parenting problems.

Too much pride and not enough humility, supported by the parents who think their children can do no wrong.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A lot of geeks seem to think they have mad skills.
They don't.

This is the difference between "software engineers" and real engineers.

Hmmm, software engineers aren't real engineers? Care to explain?

Last edited:
Software engineers can't drive a locomotive w/o help
laugh.gif

Sure.
Real engineers have recognized professional qualifications.
Software "engineers" don't.
Show me someone who calls themselves a software "engineer" who can put PE or ME or LE after their name and I'll admit to being wrong.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sure.
Real engineers have recognized professional qualifications.
Software "engineers" don't.
Show me someone who calls themselves a software "engineer" who can put PE or ME or LE after their name and I'll admit to being wrong.

1) the certification industry lagging behind isn't our fault (plus, they have certification for SE for years now...)
2) vast majority of engineers don't bother with that
3) so you mean that all sorts of non-software people have been using their PE to sign on stuff they don't understand?

4) IEEE: https://www.computer.org/web/education/software-engineering-master-certification
5) NCEES PE for Software Engineering: http://ncees.org/ncees-introduces-pe-exam-for-software-engineering/

Would you like to to go further in detail or is IEEE or the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying enough for you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Software engineers can't drive a locomotive w/o help
laugh.gif

what's a locomotive? ;]

Last edited:
Mmmyeah it's not engineering. I seem to remember a quote from one of the pioneers of computing that went something like this: "I don't know what to call it, but I know that it is neither engineering nor science". It was Alan Turing or someone like that. I'll have to google a bit.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Mmmyeah it's not engineering. I seem to remember a quote from one of the pioneers of computing that went something like this: "I don't know what to call it, but I know that it is neither engineering nor science". It was Alan Turing or someone like that. I'll have to google a bit.

So you're going to completely disregard IEEE or the NCEES? Did you look at the links I provided? Is there anything in those requirements from either of them that you find is not worthy of certification?

May you, in your own words, define what REAL engineering is that isn't already specified by the IEEE or the NCEES? Can you explain how, specifically, software engineering is excluded from that?

Also can you, in your own words, explain why it's not real engineering?

Saying 'whatever computing thing' isn't engineering because someone that did computing stuff awhile back said that something wasn't quite engineering... Is just a tad vague.

I don't know how much more evidence I need to silence the elitism/ignorance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_engineering_branches

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Should I take this message to heart? Does this apply to me?

As someone who most would consider a "computer geek" but one who was raised under the guiding hands of strict, loving, supporting parents;seems most of these types of issues are parenting problems.

My dad and I were opposites on a lot of things. He was a technological paradox, as was I. I'd always have to have a computer, and know what I'm doing with it. Yet, I never went hog wild with consumer electronics of other sorts. I still don't have a cell phone. My dad never turned a computer on, yet he had to have the first brick phone, the first VHS VCR, the first hand held GPS, you name it.

And, he taught me most of what I know about vehicles, so I couldn't berate his skills.
wink.gif

My parents could never figure out how to program a VCR and I don't think have ever used the DVR feature with their TV service. My dad calls me up to come over when he can't print something from a web page. Sometimes it goes to a default printer option, and he can't figure out how to select the right printer from a drop-down menu.

He can surf the web though. However, he hates anything that changes. He deliberately avoids updating the apps on his devices because he doesn't want to relearn them if they change. He didn't tell me that though. Once I just did it for him and got grief for months that he could no longer use some of his favorite apps because they were no longer the same.

Originally Posted By: Garak

My dad and I were opposites on a lot of things. He was a technological paradox, as was I. I'd always have to have a computer, and know what I'm doing with it. Yet, I never went hog wild with consumer electronics of other sorts. I still don't have a cell phone. My dad never turned a computer on, yet he had to have the first brick phone, the first VHS VCR, the first hand held GPS, you name it.

And, he taught me most of what I know about vehicles, so I couldn't berate his skills.
wink.gif

Gotta love dad. I originally wanted to be an EE like him, but he advised me into Software Engineering or Computer Engineering. I followed his advice and I'm so thankful for it. I admired his strong will, and him being an electrical engineer I have picked up a lot of electrical knowledge that has worked wonders for me and people that have general electrical issues. Just a novice though and plenty more to learn from him, he helped me design the schematic for my led tail lights to my motorcycle and my offroad lights to my jeep.

He is not as tech savy as me, but he is quite there. He teaches me electrical and I teach him software. He does quite well in embedded systems! He has always been good with controls. He always has me beat though in some way or the other, as he says "You won't get the better of me until the groundhog starts delivering my mail"
smile.gif

Last edited:
Some people think bowling is a sport. Some people think sociology is a science. Some people think coding is engineering.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
He is not as tech savy as me, but he is quite there. He teaches me electrical and I teach him software. He does quite well in embedded systems! He has always been good with controls. He always has me beat though in some way or the other, as he says "You won't get the better of me until the groundhog starts delivering my mail"
smile.gif

I remember with my old F-150 when I had a heater core leak. On the LTD it was a major chore to replace it. So, I was prepared for the worst in the F-150, and asked for a hand, since we were both playing around in the garage. He very quickly and pointedly advised me that I don't need any help, just go take a look, and you'll need just a ratchet, a screwdriver, and maybe 15 minutes.

What some people think:

And another that is how I feel sometimes getting calls from my mother, sisters and brother in law (even though my older brother works for HP in software and online security!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back