REUSE constant tension hose CLAMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the dealer would reuse the constant tension clamps on my lower rad hose (replacing hose on 2005 5.7 Hemi).
Should I reuse (assuming they loose tension being removed?)or is there a reason not to? I like the factory original look of them or at least of new oem constant tension clamps and like the idea of not fooling around with cheapo screwdrive clamps or $20 each Sweedish made super engineered clamps. My ocd brain wonders if new oem ones would be too tight for the aged (2005) black plastic rad outlet on the the rad.

P.S. ... anyone have a particular maker of a constant tension spring hose clamp PLIERS ?

If they are not rusted and still have spring they are fine. When installed they are not exerting so much pressure that would weaken them.

If I can get these clamps off without damaging them, I always reuse them.
They're already there, so they're free and they seem to work well.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If they are not rusted and still have spring they are fine. When installed they are not exerting so much pressure that would weaken them.

Any real concern about the rad plastic "aging in proportion with the clamp" as a "matched pair"/ new one being more forceful on older plastic,.... or is that my bitog running wild? lol

If they fly across the street when you remove them they are still good. I wouldn't worry about the clamps damaging the plastic in/outlets of a less than 10 year old radiator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump

Any real concern about the rad plastic "aging in proportion with the clamp" as a "matched pair"/ new one being more forceful on older plastic,.... or is that my bitog running wild? lol

No problems.

We wont reuse them. They seem to either lose tension with age or lose tension when removed. Every time I try to reuse one I get bit and have to replace it.

Last edited:
I have run into a few that I wouldn't reuse but you can tell they have lost tension or are rusted right away before putting them back. You need to watch VW ones especially from cars in the salt belt but most others are perfectly fine.

I've always reused them and never had any trouble... of course Chris142 does a heck of a lot more work then me and he has seen a few issues and Trav had a good point too.....so then buy new one's and rest easy.

Last edited:
I had one rusty one break on me a long time ago. I actually want to get new ones when I service the hoses and coolant on my Suburban. Does Dorman make them?

Those constant tension clamps will make an impression into the rubber hose. It's a real good idea to put the clamp right back into the same impression.

On that ear that locks the clamp wide open - I'll take a pair of lineman pliers and squeeze that ear flat with the rest of the clamp; that way it doesn't lock open no more.

Out here in California, the clamps never get rusted. Mine are 17 years old and they still look like new.

The factories went to these as they are much faster to install and cheaper to buy than the screw type. I have seen them cut through a hose in the past.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
The factories went to these as they are much faster to install and cheaper to buy than the screw type. I have seen them cut through a hose in the past.
they also prevent warranty jobs from leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back