Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10w-30 Syn-Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Farm & Home Supply today with my mother as she needed to pick up a bag of food for her horse. As per usual, I meandered over to the oil section just to look around. I needed to pick up a quart of oil for my father's (new to him) 1995 Yamaha Golf Cart (can't remember what it's called but it has a 300cc engine) which just takes 1 quart of 10w-30.

This Phillips 66 oil caught my eye. It was a synthetic blend for only $3.00 a quart. I said why not and bought it.

I know it's more than good enough for the golf cart, but I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of it or had any thoughts on it?

93577ccf76.jpg

266e211c00.jpg

I grabbed this data from their website on this specific oil:

2d11392fa1.png

PQIA didn't have data on the 10w-30, but they did have data on the 5w-30, and I assume the additives would be essentially the same besides viscosity:

http://www.pqiadata.org/Phillips66_Shield_Choice_5W30.html

Any comments?

I'm running it in my pickup currently.
I buy it by the case when they run it for $1.99 or It is my favorite of the "Sleeper" oils.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I wonder if it's similar to Trop Artic or Motorcraft blend?

It's probably quite similar, considering it's Phillips 66, ergo Conoco/Phillips which makes Trop Artic and Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I wonder if it's similar to Trop Artic or Motorcraft blend?

It's probably quite similar, considering it's Phillips 66, ergo Conoco/Phillips which makes Trop Artic and Motorcraft.

This is rebranded trop artic. Trop artic is no longer.

I have noticed Trop Artic vanishing off the shelves at Phillips 66 gas stations & this stuff replacing it. My Father in Law ran Trop Artic 5w30 in his Chevy Z74 up to 140k and just switched over to Castrol GTX HM due to Trop Artic vanishing & only being found at Sams Club in our area.

I wouldn't have any issue using this oil. In my area, the Phillips 66 Shield and the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic products are sold at the local "99 Cent Only" store albeit for $2.99/qt. for either. I've seen the Shield products in other discount stores for the same price so apparently it's marketed more in the off price retail outlets than it is in auto parts stores, etc. I've never seen it in the local AZ or Advance stores ( I'm sure they'd want 5 bucks for it ). It's like they're competing with Peak or the Warren products in these off price stores.

Originally Posted By: volk06

^This.

I have one OCI (6 qts) left in my Trop Artic stash. I was always able to pick it up during sales at my local farm supply store for $1.99/qt. It was worth every bit of that and then some. Did a UOA in my Durango and had good results with it. Now that it's been re-branded, the $1.99 sales have disappeared. I'll miss Trop-Artic.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Originally Posted By: volk06

^This.

I have one OCI (6 qts) left in my Trop Artic stash. I was always able to pick it up during sales at my local farm supply store for $1.99/qt. It was worth every bit of that and then some. Did a UOA in my Durango and had good results with it. Now that it's been re-branded, the $1.99 sales have disappeared. I'll miss Trop-Artic.

Farm & Home were selling 5qt jugs of (IIRC) their own brand of oil for $10.99 - which is $2.20 per quart. I think it was certified, too, but don't quote me on that.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Farm & Home were selling 5qt jugs of (IIRC) their own brand of oil for $10.99 - which is $2.20 per quart. I think it was certified, too, but don't quote me on that.

^Scratch That^

Farm & Home were selling 5qt jugs of Harvest King conventional oil *on sale* for $7.99 (rather than the $10.99 which is what the price tag on the shelf showed).

Every couple of months, Orschelns will have this oil on sale for $1.99/quart. I have no idea how close you are to an Orscheon's store, but it looks like there's a store in your state and the states around you have some stores. They also give military and senior citizen discounts.
When it goes on sale, my local store will have both the TropArtic and Shield Choice on sale.
IMO, it's one of the better bargains out there.

I've checked my Orschlens since the switch to Phillips Shield and its always $3.19. Haven't seen a $1.99/qt deal since the Trop-Artic days and I even have their sales flyer emailed to me whenever they have specials. Maybe I just need to check more often.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I've checked my Orschlens since the switch to Phillips Shield and its always $3.19. Haven't seen a $1.99/qt deal since the Trop-Artic days and I even have their sales flyer emailed to me whenever they have specials. Maybe I just need to check more often.

I had to look back at my previous posts because I knew that I had posted about it, but.....Orschelns had it on sale for $1.99/quart from March 21st-26th of this year. They don't put it on sale like they used to. Actually, I liked the older bottle that had the smaller pour spout better.

I miss Trop Artic, was by far my favorite bargain oil. Always strong showings in UOA's it really wasn't a bargain oil except when you paid for it.

The Shield VOA looks like a dead ringer for Trop Artic and Motorcraft with no obvious changes. I reckon it's great stuff too.

Great oil for the price. Was better than the price paid for sure. My father in law swore up and down by it working on a farm using it for vehicles. I told him the Shield stuff replaced it & motorcraft oil was similar but he isn't having any of it and moved on with anger towards P66 lol!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I miss Trop Artic, was by far my favorite bargain oil. Always strong showings in UOA's it really wasn't a bargain oil except when you paid for it.

The Shield VOA looks like a dead ringer for Trop Artic and Motorcraft with no obvious changes. I reckon it's great stuff too.

My local Orschlens and Sam's club carries this oil but I haven't tried it yet. I was using Trop Artic from Orschlens when they had their $1.99 sales but it has pretty much disappeared except in a few stores and it's the same price as the Shield now at $3.19. I will probably start using the shield since I like the Phillips 66 oils and had good luck with Trop Artic.

Wayne

After looking at the Phillips 66 website, I'm wondering if Phillips 66 Shield Choice isn't their "SN Plus" oil they formulated before the GF-6 spec release. Perhaps a "Trop Arctic" improved.

FYI: This oil is on sale at your local Orscheln store for $1.99/quart. Sale ends today. (12-10-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back