MyCarfax app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to take a moment to share about an app that I use that I think many of you would enjoy having. Especially if you want to keep tabs on lax family members!

https://www.mycarfax.com

Website says you can track up to 5 cars but that is incorrect, recent update for iOS moved that to 8.

Download MyCarfax app and scan (or enter) your VIN. It has an algorithm that tracks milage fairly closely and can give notifications when it's time for oil change, tire rotation or if any recalls are currently open or if any are opened in the future. It's a great app. You can track up to 8 vehicles at a time. Very handy since I maintain basically my whole families vehicles. It also shows maintenance history from Carfax participating shops.

You can also add vehicles by plate number and I'll admit, it's made me a bit of a creeper. If I'm sitting in traffic or walking through the apartment complex I'll add peoples plate numbers just to be nosy and see the history on the cars.
eek.gif

You can also manually add DIY projects with date and milage to keep track of stuff. However, the list of selectable "jobs" that can be done is lacking. I've complained to Carfax about it multiple times and they're slowly adding more and more. For example, say you put on new pads and rotors and want to log it in the app. You can't select "Replaced Pads" or "Replaced Rotors". But in the list they have something obscure like "Replaced EGR valve"....makes sense....not. However, they do give you the ability to manually type in what was done so that's what I do.

Last edited:
You can also add a vehicle you might be interested in purchasing. After adding it, you're allowed to view the service records for that vehicle. You don't get accidents or recalls, but it gives you a decent idea if the vehicle has been maintained professionally.

I downloaded the app right after it was introduced (about 2 years ago I think.) It's how I track my maintenance and intervals for all my vehicles.

It's a neat app because you add in DIY services you did in the past and it will file/list them in order. You can also edit any DIY service at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back