2016 Audi S4 Third UOA Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my third UOA on my car and the first time using Motul X-Cess 5w40 in this car. Previous UOA was with Mobil 1 0w40, however, I wasn't really happy how the engine sounded with cold starts. With the Motul oil, the engine hummed with every single cold start.

Not sure what to think of this UOA, especially with the increase in silicon, iron and the viscosity being on the low side. Might give Mobil 1 0w-40 a shot again with the same mileage and then see what my results are.

Link to previous UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4244470/1

Here's the report:

Your engine is still breaking in plus you ran this oil much longer than the previous fills. That's why your numbers are up. Motul is excellent oil. I would stick with it.

Engine is breaking-in well , with normal wear rates.
I would extend OCI to 8k with Motul and move from there.

Nice report. Increased metals are from more the doubling the OCI. Main thing to watch is copper, lead, and tin levels, and you are good there.

I concur with the others, this engine is still breaking in and the OCI was longer as well, I'd say stick with Motul as it makes the engine sound better. I suspect things will continue to improve as the engine breaks in.

Wear metals look very good considering the overall mileage. The only thing that stands out to me is the TBN being at 2.9 after only 6K miles. I've seen vehicles go 17K on Xcess and the TBN still be at 2.4. Under 8K i'd image to still see the TBN at at least ~3.5.

How's the vehicle driven? Mostly city driving?

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus
Wear metals look very good considering the overall mileage. The only thing that stands out to me is the TBN being at 2.9 after only 6K miles. I've seen vehicles go 17K on Xcess and the TBN still be at 2.4. Under 8K i'd image to still see the TBN at at least ~3.5.

Yup, mostly city driving. The miles on my car is about 70% city and 30% highway. My commute to work is about 6 miles round trip all via streets. I always try to make it an effort to ensure the oil is up to normal operating temperature before I shut the engine off. I activated the oil temp/lap timer functionality on my cluster using the Carista app, so by the time I get to work, the oil is usually at around 185*-200*. Normal highway cruising, I see oil temps of around 208*-215*.

I am slightly concerned about the TBN for the mileage on the oil.

Originally Posted By: CrazyJeeper
Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

Yup, mostly city driving. The miles on my car is about 70% city and 30% highway. My commute to work is about 6 miles round trip all via streets. I always try to make it an effort to ensure the oil is up to normal operating temperature before I shut the engine off. I activated the oil temp/lap timer functionality on my cluster using the Carista app, so by the time I get to work, the oil is usually at around 185*-200*. Normal highway cruising, I see oil temps of around 208*-215*.

Honestly, the TBN is fine, you probably could've gone longer, remember that a TBN of 1 is low according to Blackstone so you are still fine. Also remember city driving is harder on oil than highway driving.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the TBN. It's just that with the number of UOAs i've seen on xcess, this one is under the curve for some reason. Request a TAN on the next sample if it's in the budget.

What are your intentions with the next drain mileage?

I'm still curious about how quickly the xcess sheared. Granted it starts life at the lower-end of an SAE40, but it sheared past the halfway point through an SAE30. This is while being used to seeing 17k and 20k UOAs on xcess while still maintaining a cST 13.0-13.5 with a similar 2.4-3.0 TBN. Not necessarily hinting/meaning anything is bad, just out of the norm for this oil. I do know the supercharged 3.0L engines are hard on oil, though.

I might try a fresh jug of Mobil 0w-40 and run it for the same period of time to see how the results differ between Motul and Mobil under the same driving conditions. From that point I will stick to the same oil for the life of the car.

I would give Castrol EDGE 0W-40 a shot as well. UOAs here have shown it holds viscosity better than the new M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I would give Castrol EDGE 0W-40 a shot as well. UOAs here have shown it holds viscosity better than the new M1 0W-40.

From what I've seen, the additive pack is pretty bland compared to M1. For the price and availability of M1 at Wally World, it's worth experimenting again with it. Wonder if the new formula will do for cold startup noises.

From what I've seen, the additive pack is pretty bland compared to M1. For the price and availability of M1 at Wally World, it's worth experimenting again with it. Wonder if the new formula will do for cold startup noises.

Well, judging additive pack based on VOA is a shot in the dark in my opinion. Not all additives are created equal. Plus, Castrol has substituted titanium in place of other additives. M1 has no titanium. UOAs on EDGE 0W-40 all seem to be strong. Not so much with the new M1 0W-40 FS. I think it predominately has to do with Castrol using a PAO Group IV base oil instead of GTL Group III in the Mobil.

Well, judging additive pack based on VOA is a shot in the dark in my opinion. Not all additives are created equal. Plus, Castrol has substituted titanium in place of other additives. M1 has no titanium. UOAs on EDGE 0W-40 all seem to be strong. Not so much with the new M1 0W-40 FS. I think it predominately has to do with Castrol using a PAO Group IV base oil instead of GTL Group III in the Mobil.

Oh gotcha. Maybe I was looking at a VOA for the stuff from the black bottle, not the gold bottle with added titanium. Might give a shot if I can find it locally or on Amazon.

Oh gotcha. Maybe I was looking at a VOA for the stuff from the black bottle, not the gold bottle with added titanium. Might give a shot if I can find it locally or on Amazon.

Pretty much all EDGE has titanium now, including the black bottle 0W-40 (available at Walmart) and 0W-30 ("GC"). The gold bottle 5W-30 A3/B4 appears to be an inferior product as compared to 0W-40 and 0W-30.

Last edited:

Pretty much all EDGE has titanium now, including the black bottle 0W-40 (available at Walmart) and 0W-30 ("GC"). The gold bottle 5W-30 A3/B4 appears to be an inferior product as compared to 0W-40 and 0W-30.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem. I'm sure your engine will be happy with any of the three mentioned here (Castrol, Mobil, Motul) with consistent ~6-8k OCIs. All are great products. But it's in our nature as BITOGers to experiment, so I totally get it.

Please let us know how much PAO. Would not make a dime at Walmart prices if very much.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Please let us know how much PAO. Would not make a dime at Walmart prices if very much.

According to this U.S. SDS which was published March 2017, it is 50-75% PAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back